[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Re: Locky tells club to throw wallet at Cameron Smith

not sure how much value there is in signing smith at 32 to big dollars.

plus there's the fact that having a good hooker doesn't necessarily help if your halves still dither with it, then again this is for 2015 so who knows what we'll look like by then.

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

not sure how much value there is in signing smith at 32 to big dollars.

plus there's the fact that having a good hooker doesn't necessarily help if your halves still dither with it, then again this is for 2015 so who knows what we'll look like by then.

Cam Smith is also an organiser, and one of the best in the game. So at least we won't look lost out there like we do now.

I'd take him for next year, but 2015 might be a little late.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008

well, his contract doesn't end until 2014 so if we're signing him, it'll be for 2015 onwards.

that's why i dont believe he'd be worth it long term. he's a great player without doubt, probably the best in the league, but common sense has to come into play and at 32 it is doubtful he is going to be playing exactly at the level he is currently. which then makes you question if the money it is going to cost us to bring him up here, could be invested perhaps on someone 5-7 years younger with more tomorrows than yesterdays.

i mean, we complain about ex broncos coming here for a retirement cheque but isn't that essentially what smith will be doing? just he isn't an ex bronco.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Thing about Smith is that he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down, and that despite being one of the most involved hookers in the game - both in attack and defence. But yes, we could go all out, sign him for 2015 and that's when his body starts failing him and we end up with a 7 figure dud.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008

He hasn't shown any signs yet of slowing down, but most players don't hit the wall at 30 so that is completely reasonable.

At 32 though? You can't say many players don't begin to either slow down, lose consistency, or literally fall off a cliff.

I don't think Smith would fall off a cliff as he's too professional and too good of a player to do that, but is he worth 1mill a year at 32? I'm struggling to believe he would be, if he is seen as a huge piece of the puzzle. If he's seen as a secondary piece that isn't going to take a 1/6th of our salary cap, then it could work.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Table him an offer but honestly I think he's long odds of leaving the club that made him.

Would love to have him at the club but I wouldn't be as devastated as I should be if we missed out on him. Especially if some of these other rumours turn out to be true.

Last edited:
Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013

Table him an offer but honestly I think he's long odds of leaving the club that made him.

Would love to have him at the club but I wouldn't be as devastated as I should be if we missed out on him. Especially if some of these other rumours turn out to be true.
Lets forget the million dollars a year and table him a very attractive offer that includes a coaching job when finished. He could then train Hook

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008

Tend to agree with most. We missed the boat with Cam Smith and should have been trying to poach him several years ago. No value now and probably his motivation would wane as he does not have a Bronco history. Save our pennies and look for a better long term option. It looks to me to be ploy to land a fat contract for his last. All respect to Smith though, great player and were I in his position Id be pulling the same stunt.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012

With Hodges and Hoffman and all our young dummy halves we don't need someone who can run quickly out of dummy half we need someone who can control a game. He could also train our young dummy halves. Something none of them have had before (a real hooker to show them the ropes. I wonder if we could take a hunk out of his cap cost with a captain assistant coach role.
there's also the issue of getting a fullback (k. Hunt or barbs) or making do with Hoffman (who apparently has been working on his play making. And unless we believe one of our halves has massive improvment in them one needs upgrading. I think we could afford two of these under the cap (marquee allowance?)

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

I reckon it's best to just let him finish up at the Storm, and sign him up as one of the coaches once he's ready to do that.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008

Would rather a big money offer to Bellamy and groom our home grown players into the next Cameron Smith

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

Cameron Smith is one of a kind, I'd rather avoid trying to turn hookers into him. Look at McCullough, tries to be Smith, but can't do the basics.

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008

Play smith in the halves

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008

Cameron Smith is one of a kind, I'd rather avoid trying to turn hookers into him. Look at McCullough, tries to be Smith, but can't do the basics.

True, but without re-invoking Godwin's law of BHQ - the "Bellamy paradox", Bellamy developed Cam Smith based on his skills.

He undoubtedly come up with a game plan and development plan and strategy that would be better than what Hook is currently serving up.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

Smith has publicly hinted about returning to Brisbane (home city) in an interview with Locky in the Sunday Footy Show. I'm assuming this plea by Locky follows up on that conversation.

Whether it's a ploy for contract improvement at the Storm or a genuine wish to return home to be closer to family is the big question!
Even if we only get him at 32, he could be invaluable to us as I truly believe he is the smartest player in the game, and could teach the younger guys a lot. And if we offer him a coaching gig at the end of his playing career, it would just be the cherry on top.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013

Would need to be a massive offer IMO. His next contract, Imo, will make him the highest paid player in the game. Wherever he goes.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011

Doubt he would leave Melbourne but it would be sweet if he came here, he is the best and most influential player in the world and would bring the leadership we seriously lack.

Active Now

• Organix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bucking Beads
  • Gaz
  • Harry Sack
  • Painin the Haas
  • Matheos
  • Stix
  • Maroon4life
  • BruiserMk1
  • The Strapper
  • Aldo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.