[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I dont think anyone saw it coming when we were 7 from 8 last year but thinking back in those first 8 rounds we only beat 2 top 8 teams (Souths and Raiders). Remember how many more top 8 teams we beat for the rest of the season? None, we beat Souths again and that was it.

Having this team that we have now being similar to last year is exactly the problem, and there is no reason as to why it will stop being a problem unless something changes.

Not at you personally Porthoz, i know im probably preaching to the choir, just wanted to use your quote about last year :)

Edited to add, BTW, this year we have beaten ZERO current top 8 sides :(
All true, no discussion. Not really my point though...

At the time, I honestly thought that we only needed a few positional tweaks (like Norman to FB) and Hunt to the halves (before Prince came), for us to be a definite top 8 team and even compete for a top 4 position. With me, people like Gould and other "experts" of the game.
It's obvious now that we need a shake-up, especially a good fullback and hopefully a creative half. We also need to take into account the chance that Yow Yeh may not come back, and do everything we can to make sure Maranta never plays winger again!

As a side remark, I have no doubt the kid gives his all. He is pretty decent in defense most of the time, and returns the ball with gusto, making me wonder how he'd go at fullback, but then I remember how clueless he looks with the ball in hand in attacking position and there goes that thought... :001_rolleyes:

It just irks me that people come here and bag recruitment and everything that moves and has a Broncos logo so easily, but I guess it's the nature of the beast, especially at a club like the Broncos, which to most people is basically synonym to success.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
C'mon mate, are you for real? Obviously if there are clauses in a contract and you break them before you even sign, well you've blown it haven't you.
well no, because youre not under contract so those clauses dont apply.

the broncos chose to withdraw their offer, dugan didnt break the contract.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

No, technically, you're correct. He didn't break the contract. He just undertook actions that his pending contract did not allow. Would you allow a Pedo to be your kids' babysitter if they were about to sign a contract saying 'No Pedo', but during negotiations found out he'd been kiddy fiddling through the whole process?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Well obviously.

Sorry, I thought we were having an actual adult discussion, not trying to one up each by technicalities

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Unfortunately discussions frequently become semantic guff. No, Dugan didn't break contract, but he violates terms of the as yet unsigned contract thus forcing the Broncos to withdraw their offer.

Is it different? Legally yes. Conceptually, no.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Porthoz my good sir, this is a fantastic posting and one of the most sensible things I have seen written on this site in my short time here so far. I think the mistake most of the subscribers here at BHQ make, IS, that they are very much prone to knee-jerk reactions. It is all too easy to get caught up in the doom and gloom of a, well let's be frank here, pretty average season and think that the sky is falling in. What fans need TO do, as hard it may be at times, is to take a step back and look at the situation objectively.

For example, do we have the basis of a future premiership winning team - i.e. do we have a group of young, yet experienced players capable of taking us into the next 5 years or so? Do we have a reputation/brand that is the envy of other teams? Do we have a magnificent home stadium that is regarded as the best in the world? Do we have a coach that is loved, trusted and respected by his players?

I think if the doomsayers here amongst us take a deep breath, and have a think about the statements Porthoz has posed, they may just begin to sense a little light at the end of the tunnel. :thumbup1:
How's life in fantasy land? Tell me, weren't you going to disappear when we lost to the Warriors? or are you just like Griffin, constantly failing to deliver?

your post is full of shit for the following reasons:

1. If the basis of a future premiership winning squad is a mixture of old and young guys, guess what, we're a 1/16th chance of winning. Great odds, huh?

2. That brand you speak of will continue to be tarnished and will falter, should we continue along our current path. Guess who's fault that is? Hint: A. Griffin.

3. What the **** does a stadium have to do with winning a title? Not only do the broncos have nothing to do with it outside of playing there, the grand final isn't even held there. You may as have well cited red hill being opposite a tafe facility as to why we have smarter players capable of creating better gameplans (which we don't, but hey, you're not adverse to a lie so why stop at a small one?)

4. Who the hell cares what the players like when they're running 12th?

Last edited:
B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
How's life in fantasy land? Tell me, weren't you going to disappear when we lost to the Warriors? or are you just like Griffin, constantly failing to deliver?

your post is full of shit for the following reasons:

1. If the basis of a future premiership winning squad is a mixture of old and young guys, guess what, we're a 1/16th chance of winning. Great odds, huh?

2. That brand you speak of will continue to be tarnished and will falter, should we continue along our current path. Guess who's fault that is? Hint: A. Griffin.

3. What the **** does a stadium have to do with winning a title? Not only do the broncos have nothing to do with it outside of playing there, the grand final isn't even held there. You may as have well cited red hill being opposite a tafe facility as to why we have smarter players capable of creating better gameplans (which we don't, but hey, you're not adverse to a lie so why stop at a small one?)

4. Who the hell cares what the players like when they're running 12th?

You're right, obviously, but please do not attack FaithinHook. His occasional posts DO bring a smile to my face AND they make me laugh extra-emely loud. ;)

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
No, technically, you're correct. He didn't break the contract. He just undertook actions that his pending contract did not allow. Would you allow a Pedo to be your kids' babysitter if they were about to sign a contract saying 'No Pedo', but during negotiations found out he'd been kiddy fiddling through the whole process?
id be very surprised if the contract that we tabled said he wasnt allowed to say mean things on social networking. id say the broncos pulled the contract just on principle, a decision that will (if it hasnt already) cost us dearly IMO.

Last edited:
Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
You're right, obviously, but please do not attack FaithinHook. His occasional posts DO bring a smile to my face AND they make me laugh extra-emely loud. ;)
I haven't attacked them directly, I have attacked their little cotton candy post. Until I start directly attacking members, I'm not doing anything wrong here.

I might be forthright in my views, but that is no different to many here including moderators - provided I don't overstep the line (which I haven't), I will continue to attack cotton candy posts.

I understand it might be amusing for some people, I find it entirely frustrating.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Locky tells club to throw wallet at Cameron Smith

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

EXCLUSIVE: BRISBANE legend Darren Lockyer has urged club hierarchy to make a big-money play for Cameron Smith, hailing the Queensland skipper the man to rebuild the embattled Broncos as a premiership force.

Do it.

tumblr_mad6nxFTtd1qb3exko1_400.gif

Last edited:
vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Re: Locky tells club to throw wallet at Cameron Smith

2jag7jm.gif

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

"The priority, from my point of view, would be someone who can control or dictate the game before you buy a player who can finish things off," he said.

Amen. Shoud have thought of that 3 years ago

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008

Does anyone seriously believe Cam Smith will leave the Storm?

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Oh god, I hope Locky isn't becoming one of these ex-players who when they have an opinion, call up the local newspaper. Arthur Beetson/Garry Jack/countless others

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Does anyone seriously believe Cam Smith will leave the Storm?

No. But they're going to have a spend a shitload to keep him.

Crazy Sam

Crazy Sam

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008

^^ Agreed. We surely have money to spend on him, and if not then hopefully we can jack up his asking price so that the Storm are worse off under the cap.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010

Sounds more like Locky is just trying to land his mate a bigger salary at the Storm. i don't think he'll leave them, and I think Darren knows this better than most people.

Active Now

• Rambstien
  • Dexter
  • Fozz
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Xzei
  • BroncosAlways
  • Aldo
  • FACTHUNT
  • leon.bott
  • TimWhatley
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Tim K
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.