[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Well Inglis is obviously the main one, Dugan you can argue was the same (however, I could see the merit in not calling him prolific).
Barba is potentially another, he wants to come home to Qld and by all reports (including those from his family) he'd be keen to play for them.

That's 3 already - then you have to question how hard we went for people like Thurston (we basically had one meeting and Gee said can't afford him, oh wells!), DCE (admittedly the most unlikely, but, was there ever any dialogue and how serious was it?), Carney (there seemed to be VERY little talk about him despite the fact he was off contract and available) and Johnson (not over the line yet, but seems odds on to re-sign with the Warriors)

You can always look further and consider the future, players like Sam Williams (300k too expensive?), Widdop (though if I were the Dragons I'd be concerned with his latest injury) and Milford (again, did we even have a look at him?).

Now, agreed, not all of these are gift wrapped so my comment was probably hyperbole, but you cannot deny there have been PLENTY of gettable alternatives on the market, and thus far, we have ended up with zero. Now, if you're willing to be content that we *might* have tried to sign these players, then that's good for you, but all I see is lip service from Broncos Management so I'm not really going to be naive and think they did all they could to get all of those players. Hell, I doubt they've done all they could to get any of those players.

And that's why I'm flippant and instantly dismissive of any rumour that we could go get the best player in the game from the most consistent side, playing under the best coach. Oh yeah, I'm sure he'd be keen to leave all that to come to us - and if he's not doing it soon, are we keen on paying 800k for a 32-33yo hooker that will give us two years of service? He's a great player but he's not superhuman, even Lockyer began to lose consistency when he hit his mid 30's and he wasn't in the thick of it every game like Smith is. Smith would be getting the better deal out of it rather than the Broncos.
Okay, here's my point of view:

I'm obviously not "content" that we might have tried, but I am confident that we did put a fair bid on some of those players based on the information I have.

Of the really attainable ones...
- Inglis was essentially ours until he broke his verbal agreement to get in bed with a guy that doesn't even know the meaning of the word "ethic". You could call the Broncos mngt naive, but I can't in good faith blame them.
- Dugan was essentially ours until he decided to go stupid again and do exactly what he was fired for at the Raiders, nota bene during contract negotiations with the Broncos! Once again, I cannot blame mngt in this, although some people whose cultural and moral boundaries are different from mine, will disagree.
- Widdop is not worth the money the Dragons are putting into him, but I wouldn't have minded to get him at a reasonable price to replace Norman. For that money, I'm happy we didn't enter a bidding war.
- You didn't mention him, but I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than have Soward wearing the Broncos jersey. Just saying... :001_unsure:
- Williams isn't too expensive, but he is definitely not the solution for our issues imo, which makes his $300K a waste that we can put into a more worthy investment. In fact, despite the fact that the Dragons are improving their spine (how could they not?), that spine isn't going to make too many waves and certainly isn't a premiership threat.

Of the possible ones:
- Barba is under contract and cannot be approached officially, at least not until he is granted a release. I am convinced there is a fire causing all the rumour smoke, but will wait patiently until a decision is made one way or another, well aware that whatever is happening backstage won't be acknowledged, even if it's to qualm the fans' thirst.
- Smith has hinted a few times of late that he is willing to go back to Qld. Despite his age, it would be unbelievably moronic not to get him up here. At age 30, he is still the best RL player in the world imo. He doesn't do the fancy stuff others can, but no one has as much influence on a team as he does. Besides, I truly believe he will become one hell of a coach. Let's await developments to see if this is just a play to get his contract upgraded, like DCE and Thurston...
- Milford is still under contract and couldn't be approached. The Raiders know what they have there and won't let him escape, much to my disappointment.
- The same goes for S. Johnson, unless the Warriors are incredibly stupid and have put too many eggs into the Tomkins basket to pay the Kiwi what he's worth.

As to Carney, DCE and Thurston, they were never more than pipe dreams. Despite fielding offers much superior to the ones at their club, they were always going to stay put. Believing otherwise is just silly really...

The interesting part, is that the reasoning to take your stance, is mostly based on assumptions, some of them probably incorrect.

It is funny that the Broncos are bagged for keeping their business out of the media highlights, when everyone knows that is precisely one of the secrets of good business practice!

Last edited:
Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Rumour Alert! Cameron Smith...

In many ways I agree with Porthoz but there's a very real fear that we go too far. I don't rate Widdop or Williams so I'm happy to take the attitude of glad to not sign them, but if we never go hard at a real talent and get them then we are saving money for the sake of it.

Honestly if we don't get Barba I see the same dialogue this time next year. People say good thing we didnt overspend on an unknown quantity just so we have free cap space to sign nobody.

Plus if Ashley Taylor really is a gun i would prefer we overpay a big name to take pressure off him rather than have him be our only hope when he debuts.

Tl;dr - we are saving for a rainy day even though nothing but sun is predicted, and even when the skies are grey we choose not to spend.

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Considering we have a vastly overpaid Wallace, almost any half is an upgrade, provided it actually forces him out of the club. As it stands, we are likely going to be stuck with him for all of next year, and quite probably the year after that.

As for the hookers, I'd only go after the real quality ones (Smith, Friend, Segeyaro, Srama), considering we already have 3 at the club (4 counting Hunt lol) and 2 of the ones who don't seem to be able to get a chance are actually promising.

kingpest

kingpest

QCup Player
Apr 14, 2013
Considering we have a vastly overpaid Wallace, almost any half is an upgrade, provided it actually forces him out of the club. As it stands, we are likely going to be stuck with him for all of next year, and quite probably the year after that.

As for the hookers, I'd only go after the real quality ones (Smith, Friend, Segeyaro, Srama), considering we already have 3 at the club (4 counting Hunt lol) and 2 of the ones who don't seem to be able to get a chance are actually promising.

I'd throw Isaac Luke in there also, he's in great form. Rabbitohs can't hang on to all these stars forever

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I think we as fans should take heart. Irrespective of what is being said publicly , the management at the Broncos can see where our problems lay. It is obvious we can complete and equally our ability to get down the field is more than adequate. They know as well as us what the issue is and I have absolutely no doubt the Broncos will work feverishly to fix it. I suspect Wallace will either move on at years end or end up playing for Norths/Ipswich whatever. Prince will finish this year.

For the Broncos to make money the club must be at least moderately successful and given how high the bar has been historically ,moderate success means finals footy. I cannot see the current situation being allowed to continue, we simply cannot afford such crap.
Unless Griffin can get them firing very very soon he won't last more than 6 games next year.

L

Loki522

BRL Player
Jun 10, 2013
Do you really think Prince will finish up this year? Seems like he's too proud

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Do you really think Prince will finish up this year? Seems like he's too proud

I think there is a good possibility that he will retire at years end.... i think he didn't want to end his career how it did at the Titans, if he retires at years end he can go out on his terms

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
i dont feel like prince is going to call it quits.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Well I hope he calls it quits, he's too old, another year is arguably a few years too long based on his form.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Prince would risk being dropped if he continued. He is only just hanging on to his spot this year

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
yeah but its rnd 20 and he hasnt been dropped yet..

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
this year id put prince ahead of wallace.

prince might be a turnstile in defence, but he actually has an attacking bone in his body. wallace could be the greatest defender the world has ever seen, but that means nothing when his only attacking weapon is the worst bomb in the league.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
this year id put prince ahead of wallace.

prince might be a turnstile in defence, but he actually has an attacking bone in his body. wallace could be the greatest defender the world has ever seen, but that means nothing when his only attacking weapon is the worst bomb in the league.

So what you're saying is if we could somehow merge Wallace and Prince we would have a decent halves partner for Hunt?

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
i guess so lol.

hunt NEEDS to be given the halfback position next year, no doubt about it. wallace isnt the future halfback of our club, theres no question about that. he shouldnt even be the present one, but alas we have a coach with no balls so he is. prince brings more of what you want....no, what you NEED.... in a half to the team, so he should partner hunt.

give hunt a whole season at 7 and if he is no good, start the search/recruitment drive for another half. this is in addition to the one half that we already should be looking for/recruiting.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
I've got a quota of how many times I can agree with AP before I have to give up posting, I'm almost there.

Active Now

• Hoof Hearted
  • Old Mate
  • Foordy
  • Galah
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Big Del
  • Morkel
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Mister Wright
  • Aldo
  • Fatboy
  • BooKhaki
  • Waynesaurus
  • Redfern_1980
  • Battler
  • Strop
  • Mr Fourex
  • GCBRONCO
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.