[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Okay, here's my point of view:

I'm obviously not "content" that we might have tried, but I am confident that we did put a fair bid on some of those players based on the information I have.

Of the really attainable ones...
- Inglis was essentially ours until he broke his verbal agreement to get in bed with a guy that doesn't even know the meaning of the word "ethic". You could call the Broncos mngt naive, but I can't in good faith blame them.

At the end of the day, we failed to secure his signature when it was giftwrapped. Frame it how you like to make yourself and the club feel better, but results matter and we didn’t get it. The club that did has subsequently gone onto experience much better fortunes than we have, thanks in part to the guy we failed to deliver. I don’t see how it serves us to go, well, it was HIS fault that he didn’t sign? Oh yeah, I’m sure he’s devo about that. Meanwhile, we most certainly are, without the dripping sarcasm, and that’s a failure of the board to do their job, pure and simple. I remember this scenario very clearly (I remember arguing with Nashy about it) and the fact was, at no point did we push the boat out for him. We maintained the same nonchalant, blasé, we are the fucking Broncos so it’s upto you to come to US! Attitude that is STILL currently inhibiting us when trying to make signings.

Dugan was essentially ours until he decided to go stupid again and do exactly what he was fired for at the Raiders, nota bene during contract negotiations with the Broncos! Once again, I cannot blame mngt in this, although some people whose cultural and moral boundaries are different from mine, will disagree.

We’re agreeing to disagreeing because I agree with a lot of what AP says, he hasn’t really done anything wrong apart from being a young dumbass that likes to drink alcohol. We’ve decided we’re going to take the moral high ground despite some of our best known sons having issues with Alcohol in public, but hey, they were our own so it doesn’t matter, right?

Widdop is not worth the money the Dragons are putting into him, but I wouldn't have minded to get him at a reasonable price to replace Norman. For that money, I'm happy we didn't enter a bidding war.

What is Widdop worth in a salary cap world of 5.85 million? You keep saying, not worth the money, so what would you consider a reasonable amount? 200k? 300k? I think personally you don’t really know what a reasonable amount is, you’re just shooting from the hip because it’s easy to say not worth it – you don’t have to then explain at what point he becomes valuable. And if you say, well he’s worth 450 but not 550, explain how 100k makes a difference in the grand scheme (when taking into account our current cap space)?

You didn't mention him, but I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than have Soward wearing the Broncos jersey. Just saying... :001_unsure:

Agree with you there, there’s a reason I didn’t mention him. Having said that, honestly he’d still add more attacking impetus to our halves regardless of how much he is a little twerp.

Williams isn't too expensive, but he is definitely not the solution for our issues imo, which makes his $300K a waste that we can put into a more worthy investment. In fact, despite the fact that the Dragons are improving their spine (how could they not?), that spine isn't going to make too many waves and certainly isn't a premiership threat.

Williams is neither here nor there for me, I am pretty meh around him but the point is simply these players are out there, and while we have signalled our intent to buy a half (indicating our displeasure with our current setup), we are yet to see what they have actually done. I will not buy into PR platitudes offered by our inept management on the basis of good faith because this board is yet to prove they can land any decent signing. Last decent signing was Folau/Hannant, they came under Bruno – who’ve we signed since? Prince, and he wasn’t wanted at the titans. So really, the basis of good faith is blind faith, and I don’t deal in that sort of commodity.

It does amuse me though that you’re willing to take pot shots at the Dragons who really are about our level at the moment, except, they’re willing to do something about it and have made obvious, concerted efforts to improve their squad as they know it is not good enough as it is. Compare that to us? Again, all you have is blind faith that we’ll be better than them, but their actions are speaking far louder than any pitiful offerings given to us by management.

I’m genuinely curious; tell me how we will finish stronger than the Dragons next year despite retaining the same squad and same coach that has currently led us to our current position. Don’t use faith as a reason.

Of the possible ones:
- Barba is under contract and cannot be approached officially, at least not until he is granted a release. I am convinced there is a fire causing all the rumour smoke, but will wait patiently until a decision is made one way or another, well aware that whatever is happening backstage won't be acknowledged, even if it's to qualm the fans' thirst.

The only things we do know is that he’s unhappy in Sydney and has some personal issues with his partner/kids potentially moving back to Qld. It’s basically the Inglis situation again, everything falling into Brisbanes lap. Can they do a deal? I’m not holding my breath based on past form.

Smith has hinted a few times of late that he is willing to go back to Qld. Despite his age, it would be unbelievably moronic not to get him up here. At age 30, he is still the best RL player in the world imo. He doesn't do the fancy stuff others can, but no one has as much influence on a team as he does. Besides, I truly believe he will become one hell of a coach. Let's await developments to see if this is just a play to get his contract upgraded, like DCE and Thurston...

At age 30, he is. At age 32, when he would start playing with the Broncos, he very well may not be. And whilst he doesn’t do the flashy, fancy stuff, he’s playing in one of the hardest positions on the field – in the thick of it for 80mins, cutting down guys twice his size. Yes, he’s been able to do it for 10 years, but everyone has a use by date and Smith is no different. He is not superman, he cannot play until he’s 40 at the same level he is now – however, he is probably going to expect similar or better money to come back to Qld, as he would be their departing captain and presumably, still the Qld and Australian captain. If people considered Thurston too expensive, mark Smith under the same category. Not to mention that, even if we did sign Smith, it doesn’t fix our halves problem – he might get quicker ball to our halves, but if they’re still useless then it doesn’t matter, they’ll just have longer to dither around with it before being tackled.

-
Milford is still under contract and couldn't be approached. The Raiders know what they have there and won't let him escape, much to my disappointment.
Wasn’t he homesick at one stage? Could be wrong but remember reading something about that. If so, we have done a poor job of getting in his ear. We need to be parasites, not moral crusaders, who the **** cares who it screws over, success is paramount in this competition and we are drifting further and further away from it, regardless of how many times you, others, white, hook, gee and whomever wants to say it till they’re blue in the face – we’re not a potentially premiership winning side, we’re not a top 4 side, we are fucking dour and robotic. When that mantra is trotted out, it is the equivalent to putting our fingers in our ears and going LA LA LA, CAN’T HEAR YOU, TOO BUSY HEARING THE BRONCOS PREMIERSHIP SONG FOR YEARS 2014-2019 DROWNING YOU OUT. It is obtuse.

The same goes for S. Johnson, unless the Warriors are incredibly stupid and have put too many eggs into the Tomkins basket to pay the Kiwi what he's worth.

He’s getting a contract upgrade at the Warriors so clearly they’ve handled their eggs better than we would’ve liked.

As to Carney, DCE and Thurston, they were never more than pipe dreams. Despite fielding offers much superior to the ones at their club, they were always going to stay put. Believing otherwise is just silly really...

I don’t think we can sign every single player on the market, but on the same token I don’t believe that we really gave them any serious opportunities to make them consider a potential switch – the fact is Thurston nearly made the switch to Penrith but for a last minute change of heart. Fair enough you might argue he stayed in the end anyway so what does it matter, but the simple fact Penrith of all fucking clubs, were able to sway his head with an offer and get him to the brink of joining, well, makes you wonder we actually tried to formally engage him and his agent or if we did as I suspect, asked him once and said welp can’t afford that!

The interesting part, is that the reasoning to take your stance, is mostly based on assumptions, some of them probably incorrect.

It is funny that the Broncos are bagged for keeping their business out of the media highlights, when everyone knows that is precisely one of the secrets of good business practice!

I’ve no doubt some of my assumptions are probably not accurate, I don’t have inside links to the club but if I did they would be hearing about it and not you guys. However, while I may lack some correct information, I also note that actions are louder than words, and as aforementioned early on in this response the total sum of actions by the board sits slightly above zero – one player fell into their lap 100km away from them and another was released due to lack of game time. There have been no positive, no proactive moves on behalf of the club in regards to recruitment. None that can actually be tangibly measured in the form of “end result”.

In regards to your last point, they are bagged because they talk a lot and deliver nothing, even after identifying obvious deficiencies. I’d say that’s a pretty bad business practice.

The proof is in the pudding guys, the proof is zero at present. I am alongside you guys in hoping it changes, but I do not share the same level of optimism that it will be, until I see evidence otherwise.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
We are clearly on opposite poles Renegade, starting with the fact that you seem willing to forgo ethics and morals to win, while I don't.
Please don't take offense, as this is for argument's sake, not a dig at you; but I'm sure the people behind the salary rorting at the Dogs and Storm thought that way too when they started pushing the boundaries.

I value the Broncos fabric and culture dearly, and with me, most sponsors and persons of relevance and influence to the club and NRL. It really matters more than the occasional premiership!

Your mantra of "no end result" meaning there were no moves or serious attempts, is fundamentally wrong. It's akin to say that because there is no cure for cancer, there hasn't been serious research done to find it; except that they can actually announce what, how and when they are doing something.
You assume that no results means no effort, and thus the management at Red Hill is amateur at best, or as you call it... "inept".
Just over a year ago, we were sitting pretty on the ladder, having won 7 from 8 with a very similar team to what we have now. Did you know then that we would be in this position today? I mean did you really see it coming?

I on the other hand, assume that based on everything management has done outside of recruitment, such as the tangible results expanding our reach or exponentially increasing the membership numbers, shows amongst other things, that they are professionals doing a good job. It's not faith, it's common sense!

I don't factually know what their efforts were to attract this or that player, although the information I have about a few of them (and this is not from "The Mole"), is nothing remotely close to: "asked him once and said welp can’t afford that!".

I seriously don't know where you get this from:
In regards to your last point, they are bagged because they talk a lot and deliver nothing, even after identifying obvious deficiencies. I’d say that’s a pretty bad business practice.
I honestly believe they should have identified those deficiencies earlier than they did, but where have you seen them talking a lot about anything recruitment, besides saying they are actively looking for a playmaker who will make a difference. On the contrary, they do not discuss in the media what they do and don't, which imo, is good business practice. It will amongst other things, allow informal contacts with certain players who are not legally allowed to be approached, without those players having to worry too much about those conversations appearing the next day on the Couriermail for example...

Fact is, since it became clear we need a good playmaker, given Norman's attitude, and the fact he is (thankfully) moving on, and that Hunt doesn't and won't cut it, none of the worthy targets has moved on to another club.
Inglis was well before that and let's just agree to disagree about Dugan, because we're clearly worlds away regarding the Broncos decision to shut the door.
Your Thurston to Penrith example is based on nothing but media speculation, and none of the other players left their club.

You may say the Dragons are actually doing something about it. Yeah, they are ensuring their future is better than now, but won't go beyond average. I say this because I have seen Widdop and Williams play, and while investing $800K or $900K on the pair might improve our situation, they are simply not the solution we need to become a genuine premiership threat. More importantly, it would effectively cripple our capacity to get a real top player!

When a player of Barba or Smith's quality moves on to a different club and we fail to get him, I will think differently, until then... Let's agree to disagree! :winky:

Last edited:
FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
We are clearly on opposite poles Renegade, starting with the fact that you seem willing to forgo ethics and morals to win, while I don't.

I value the Broncos fabric and culture dearly, and with me, most sponsors and persons of relevance and influence to the club and NRL. It really matters more than the occasional premiership!

You assume that no results means no effort, and thus the management at Red Hill is amateur at best, or as you call it... "inept".
Just over a year ago, we were sitting pretty on the ladder, having won 7 from 8 with a very similar team to what we have now. Did you know then that we would be in this position today? I mean did you really see it coming?

I on the other hand, assume that based on everything management has done outside of recruitment, such as the tangible results expanding our reach or exponentially increasing the membership numbers, shows amongst other things, that they are professionals doing a good job. It's not faith, it's common sense!

Porthoz my good sir, this is a fantastic posting and one of the most sensible things I have seen written on this site in my short time here so far. I think the mistake most of the subscribers here at BHQ make, IS, that they are very much prone to knee-jerk reactions. It is all too easy to get caught up in the doom and gloom of a, well let's be frank here, pretty average season and think that the sky is falling in. What fans need TO do, as hard it may be at times, is to take a step back and look at the situation objectively.

For example, do we have the basis of a future premiership winning team - i.e. do we have a group of young, yet experienced players capable of taking us into the next 5 years or so? Do we have a reputation/brand that is the envy of other teams? Do we have a magnificent home stadium that is regarded as the best in the world? Do we have a coach that is loved, trusted and respected by his players?

I think if the doomsayers here amongst us take a deep breath, and have a think about the statements Porthoz has posed, they may just begin to sense a little light at the end of the tunnel. :thumbup1:

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Please don't take offense, as this is for argument's sake, not a dig at you; but I'm sure the people behind the salary rorting at the Dogs and Storm thought that way too when they started pushing the boundaries.
not the same at all lol.

legally signing someone who is a dropkick is in no way even remotely similar to illegally signing someone. the broncos had no legal reason to not sign Dugan. they didnt sign him because of some stupid moral highground they wanted to take, despite their own captain having been involved in a far more scandalous event and playing finals football the next week. the dogs/storm people had a legal reason not to do what they did, since it was illegal.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I never said it was the same thing, you're ignoring the bit about "starting to push the boundaries". Both do require lack of ethics and morals to a certain extent.

As to Dugan, it's very simple really. It's not about the offense, which in itself wasn't anything out of this world, but about when and under which circumstances the offense occurred, making me believe that Dugan cannot be trusted to use his brain or keep his promises.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I never said it was the same thing, you're ignoring the bit about "starting to push the boundaries". Both do require lack of ethics and morals to a certain extent.

As to Dugan, it's very simple really. It's not about the offense, which in itself wasn't anything out of this world, but about when and under which circumstances the offense occurred, making me believe that Dugan cannot be trusted to use his brain or keep his promises.

Well, that still does not address the fact that Dugan's contract could have been littered with caveats about behaviour.

We needed him. We stuffed up. We have Norman

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Well, that still does not address the fact that Dugan's contract could have been littered with caveats about behaviour.

didnt you know? players apparently wont sign contracts that have behavioral clauses lol.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Nor do we have contracts with disincentives for poor performance, including the coach

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

No, no matter how bad we're going, we don't need a fuckwit like Dugan.
He'll screw up again, that's guaranteed, and quite possibly not before causing issues in the player's group.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
:winky:

I dont think anyone saw it coming when we were 7 from 8 last year but thinking back in those first 8 rounds we only beat 2 top 8 teams (Souths and Raiders). Remember how many more top 8 teams we beat for the rest of the season? None, we beat Souths again and that was it.

Having this team that we have now being similar to last year is exactly the problem, and there is no reason as to why it will stop being a problem unless something changes.

Not at you personally Porthoz, i know im probably preaching to the choir, just wanted to use your quote about last year :)

Edited to add, BTW, this year we have beaten ZERO current top 8 sides :(

Last edited:
Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Correct, we have indeed beaten zero Top 8 sides. What's worse is that we have played 14 teams this year (yet to play Knights or Penrith) and have only beaten 4 of those teams. Those teams we have beat have played 65 games collectively this year and won just 25 times between them. Hardly what you would call prized scalps.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
No, no matter how bad we're going, we don't need a ****wit like Dugan.
He'll screw up again, that's guaranteed, and quite possibly not before causing issues in the player's group.
bet you said the same about carney, didnt you?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

It probably was and he broke them before he even signed the contract.

Where does the club draw the line? "Oh you broke our guidelines but that's okay...it's a silly clause anyways, we just want to win!"

So glad Carney isn't at the club.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
It probably was and he broke them before he even signed the contract.

Where does the club draw the line? "Oh you broke our guidelines but that's okay...it's a silly clause anyways, we just want to win!"

So glad Carney isn't at the club.

Yeah totally agree

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
how does he break a contract before hes even under contract?

C'mon mate, are you for real? Obviously if there are clauses in a contract and you break them before you even sign, well you've blown it haven't you.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Behavioural conditions of the contract, which he was aware of and which he breached.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Spooky1013
  • Howie
  • azza.79
  • MrMoore
  • Dexter
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • davidp
  • Johnny92
  • Culhwch
  • Dash
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.