[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
hes a very good tried and tested hooker, whereas the last few hookers with "potential" that we have put all our bets on have turned out to be nothing more than mediocre.

remember, bennett got rid of freaking luke priddis because in his opinion mick ryan was the future hooker of our club. while priddis went on to basically single handedly win penrith the grand final a few years later, mick ryan went on to play a whole 6 games for us. now we bet the house on mccullough and hes gone and wasted a few years of our time. the same people that saw all this potential in mccullough are seeing the same potential in granville and baptiste. excuse me if im a bit sceptical.

peats already has runs on the board, and if we're serious about being a premiership threat we need a decent hooker. not a potentially decent one, a decent one.

Peats is hardly Priddis quality though. I think there's barely any difference between him and Baptiste and Granville at the moment, except that Baptiste will probably end up better if given an opportunity. Basically I don't think spending more money on an average hooker when we already have 3 is going to make us premiership contenders.

Now if this was Jake Friend, Srama or Segeyaro or something, then by all means, I'd easily take them.

hayseed

hayseed

QCup Player
Feb 20, 2013
Re: Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2013

You may be right here but they had a big point to prove after the salary cap rorting which was the motivation for staying
BTW isnt this the rumour forum, you will never get all rumours being 100% correct some are going to be bull****

They are all bullshit, point me out one rumour than has come to fruition. Enjoy reading them though.:laugh:

hayseed

hayseed

QCup Player
Feb 20, 2013
Not getting my hopes up as it's very unlikely too see Cameron Smith play anwhere else other than Melbourne but it would be so awesome if we signed him, I would be over the moon.

Just spoke to my source (who is a former Bronco) and he stated that Smitty would come here in a heartbeat but only if Kevie Walters was head coach. He also said that Hook has the blessing of the board for next year but only if they show rapid improvement for the remainder of this season. True story. He also said that Barba is very keen to sign a contract but only if Hook is replaced by a person of merit.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Peats is hardly Priddis quality though. I think there's barely any difference between him and Baptiste and Granville at the moment, except that Baptiste will probably end up better if given an opportunity. Basically I don't think spending more money on an average hooker when we already have 3 is going to make us premiership contenders.

Now if this was Jake Friend, Srama or Segeyaro or something, then by all means, I'd easily take them.
i dont really see any comparison to baptiste or granville with peats. peats has played 50+ games in the NRL already, has been very good in that time, whereas the other 2 have played what, 7 games combined?

peats is also 2 years younger than granville, whos 24, and seriously - hes 24 and has only just debuted this year and played 2 games. hes obviously not that crash hot. baptiste is 22 and again, only played 5 games in his career. peats has played for the indigenous all stars twice in his second and third years in the NRL, and city country in his 3rd year.

also, we've actually seen peats play in the NRL and seen that hes a very good player. no hes not priddis quality, but no other hooker in the last 10 years has been apart from Cameron Smith.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Just spoke to my source (who is a former Bronco) and he stated that Smitty would come here in a heartbeat but only if Kevie Walters was head coach. He also said that Hook has the blessing of the board for next year but only if they show rapid improvement for the remainder of this season. True story. He also said that Barba is very keen to sign a contract but only if Hook is replaced by a person of merit.
Has he stated the feeling towards Hook from the current playing group

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008

see ya Hook ...

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013

I have no inside source whatsoever at the Broncos but this i could believe, especially the Barba part. With the results over the last 12 months and the media speculation on the coach, including past players saying he needs to be replaced, i could understand a player 2nd guessing themselves before they signed with the Broncos at the moment.

I do however have a source close to a player manager (through Windsor Wolves) who has told me that not many Sydney based players request to see if there is any interest from Brisbane. Kinda goes with what Hayseeds source indicates.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
cool story...

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I usually dont care who we sign as long as they are good. But Cam Smith can eat a dick.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Has he stated the feeling towards Hook from the current playing group

I'll have a crack ... "coach we think you're a good bloke but we've had it with you .. we have no confidence in your systems and structures and no confidence in your medium term plan for this team ... We made our feelings about this perfectly clear when you tried to shock us into something special five weeks ago against the warriors and then a week later in Canberra ... we're too proud to flat out tank (well, except for Corey) but we've 'checked out' for 2013, or until you either reinvent yourself or are replaced ... Love, the boys"

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Smith MAY leave, at the right price. Remember he was basically signed, sealed & delivered to the Titans. The only thing that kept him in Melbourne was (illegal) money. He's now achieved everything in the game, including a "legit" (cough) Premiership, captained the Maroons to a series victory, and in all likelihood Australia to the World Cup title. He may actually enjoy the 'challenge' of getting the Broncos back on their feet, and if the price is right he'd come. We would be stupid to not sweeten the deal with a lucrative coaching gig after he retires, in fact the only thing that would prevent him then would be if Melbourne offer the same.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
The players love Hook, they are trying their guts out for him and certainly want him to stick around.
This is a problem. He is a great bloke but cant coach.
I think ya might be on the money Bullshark

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Is your sauce Steve michaels?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I'll have a crack ... "coach we think you're a good bloke but we've had it with you .. we have no confidence in your systems and structures and no confidence in your medium term plan for this team ... We made our feelings about this perfectly clear when you tried to shock us into something special five weeks ago against the warriors and then a week later in Canberra ... we're too proud to flat out tank (well, except for Corey) but we've 'checked out' for 2013, or until you either reinvent yourself or are replaced ... Love, the boys"

I highly doubt this. Players with these feelings don't keep putting in.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
If supporters from other teams ever browse this forum they must laugh at the desperation of everyone on here to have any worthwhile player rumoured to join the club.

Unread

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Financeguy
  • marw
  • Mick_Hancock
  • bb_gun
  • leon.bott
  • GCBRONCO
  • RolledOates
  • Bucking Beads
  • Lurker
  • Wolfie
  • Mustafur
  • Jedhead
  • Manofoneway
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.