[Official] Smith re-signs with the Storm

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I have to ask. Why do people rate Buderus and Farah so highly? They completely lack the kicking game that Smith has and the running game Luke, Friend and even Segeyaro currently have. What is their main skill that gets their names said when the best hooker ever argument is made? As someone who has watched almost every game over the last 10 years, I just have never seen it.

Their quick service (especially from Bedsey), good decision making, creativity (from Farah), strong support play (from Bedsey), and excellent defence.

Smith isn't great because of his kicking game either (though it's a very strong attribute), it's a lot of the same things, decision making, defence, smart running and being arguably the best organiser in the game.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Farah definitely has a kicking game, if you're going to make harsh criticisms at least make sure they're true. Buderus in his prime I don't particularly remember as I never really focussed on his game, so I can't answer that one. Farah is also great at setting up a try, check out his try assists year on year. You're basically implying Farah/Buderus are average players, they're not. Far, far from it.

Last edited:
Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
age is not friendly to Rugby League players, odds are he may not even be the best Hooker in the world after the next season or two.

LOL ......where are you getting those odds from. I'd like me some of that action.

Happy for Brisbane to chase Cam and for us to get 3-4 yrs out of him. He's a bit of a rarity for a superstar compared to some others. Has had little to none serious injury......I think he could easily play at the highest level if he wanted to for another 5 yrs

I just want him involved with Brisbane.

He'd make a fantastic NRL coach one day ....and it would be great to see him get amongst the coaching staff as early as possible with Brisbane.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
LOL ......where are you getting those odds from. I'd like me some of that action.

Did you miss the origin series this year? He was a shadow of himself, in 2 years time it's only going to be more noticeable.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Happy for Brisbane to chase Cam and for us to get 3-4 yrs out of him. He's a bit of a rarity for a superstar compared to some others. Has had little to none serious injury......I think he could easily play at the highest level if he wanted to for another 5 yrs

I just want him involved with Brisbane.

He'd make a fantastic NRL coach one day ....and it would be great to see him get amongst the coaching staff as early as possible with Brisbane.

This doesn't happen often but I completely agree with you

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Did you miss the origin series this year? He was a shadow of himself, in 2 years time it's only going to be more noticeable.

Pfft ....shadow of himself or not, he's got a large chunk of daylight between himself and anyone else.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Pfft ....shadow of himself or not, he's got a large chunk of daylight between himself and anyone else.

At the moment? Agreed, but in 2 years time the likes of Luke, Friend and co. will have gained some serious ground, and Smith is only going to be getting slower from here on out.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
This Cam Smith talk is really getting legs, but I can't see him accepting. He has an opportunity to become a one club man in only a couple of years.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
At the moment? Agreed, but in 2 years time the likes of Luke, Friend and co. will have gained some serious ground, and Smith is only going to be getting slower from here on out.

You do realize that Friend is 32.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Whilst I would much prefer to sign DCE than Smith, if the former is not a viable option then I'm all for us signing Cam Smith.

The article did say he'd get the captaincy too, so who knows, maybe Thaiday will be sent packing altogether. Based on his current form and salary, that wouldn't bother me a bit!

More importantly though, it would be an enormous boon to the blooding of Strasser and Taylor. They will enter first grade getting service from the best dummy half in the history of the game with a player like Ben Barba to run off them. The pressure will be off them at first and by the time Smith goes they'll hopefully have become the gun halves we'll need post-smith.

Assuming that DCE is not an option, I don't really see the downside to be honest.

ozzball

ozzball

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2013
I just want to get some perspective for myself ... are the Cam Smith nay-sayers of the opinion that in the next couple of years he'll become so senile and decrepit that he'll be stripped of the Kangaroo and Maroon captaincy to spend his dotage hobbling around AAMI Park eagerly looking forward to his gold watch and pension.
For mine the money they're talking about is an investment in the body and mind of one of the game's greats ... having him steer the Broncs around the park ... awesome, having his personality and experience around the club ... brilliant, the opportunity for our younger players to play alongside this guy? ... priceless.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Cameron Smith signing

Pro's;

1: He is one of the best players ever and is the complete package
2: He is the Queensland and Australian captain and the perfect player to mature a squad. Our squad needs maturing imo
3: He would solve the captaincy issue with Thiaday
4: He would make or spine even stronger. A possible spine of Barba, Milford, Hunt and Smith is great and one to be reckoned with
5: He is superior to any hooker at our club.

Con's

1: He would only be coming for a couple of years making his stint his swansong
2: His limited stint would not guide the team into the future but could leave a legacy on the younger players in the team
3: It's unlikely he will leave Melbourne considering everything he has done for the club
4: He wouldn't solve our halves problem. We need a match-winning half like Milford not a hooker as we have got some depth in that position and I have faith in Granville and Macca.

If we can get DCE it would help the club more as he would be the man to fix the halves problem and strengthen the backs in attack and defense. But if we can't Smith would be just as valuable to the team as DCE will.

kingpest

kingpest

QCup Player
Apr 14, 2013
I can't see them stripping thaiday of captaincy. Smith and thaiday co captains?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
He'll still be better than McCullough at 40.

Yes.

...Cam Smith could play NRL well into his late 30's

I don't see a place for McCullough once Smith joins......I'd be hoping for something a bit better than an ageing A.Mc to replace Smith when he finally does call it a day.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I can't see them stripping thaiday of captaincy

I can.

I think behind closed doors Brisbane are regretting making Thaiday their captain

and I'll go as far as to say that Thaiday is quietly regretting it too. IMO

I honestly don't think anyone would put up much of a fuss if Smith was to take the reins.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • barker
  • BroncosAlways
  • Santa
  • Mr Fourex
  • mystico
  • Cavalo
  • Xzei
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • kman
  • winslow_wong
  • The Strapper
  • Wolfie
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Harry Sack
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.