Olakau'atu Should Be Facing A Lifetime Ban

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I'm doubling down here because to me, this week has highlighted so many issues with the NRL but I really think this is not getting the air time it should be.

I put this in the origin thread but fear it will be brushed over:

I didn't watch the game BUT according to the charge sheet, Ola'kau'atu is facing only a 2-3 game suspension for being involved in the melee.

Wait a minute, this is a guy WHO WAS NOT IN THE TEAM AND NOT 18TH MAN. This guy should be facing a life time ban (I am not saying he should be, I'm just saying an example needs to be made here, goodness me).

No wait, before going off your heads at this being overboard, RE-READ WHAT I CAPITALISED ABOVE.

He was NOT IN THE TEAM, so essentially, this is a guy who has come from the stands to join in a fight. How is more not being made of this? If this was any other spectator getting involved, they would be facing a life time ban and a MASSIVE fine. Why is this different?
Now this is in the same week as the idiot in charge of officiating coming out and saying we have to suspend Kennedy for running into a referee who got himself in the way because, and look, try not to laugh while I quote the bloke:

"We can never get to a stage where we make it permissible to move a referee out of the way, regardless of if he is in the way or not,"

"It's not very hard to get yourself into a position where you can have the referee between you and the ball or a defender.

"And the next thing you know is there is a collision, and 'oh sorry, it was an accident'.

"They would say 'you don't get in trouble for hitting the referee in the NRL, why am I getting charged for hitting a referee in the local park?'

"We can never get to that stage."

So...we are suspending a player because THE REF MADE A MISTAKE so that some incoherent babbling doesn't occur locally.

However, we are only giving 2 weeks (with an early guilty plea) to a guy who is essentially a spectator getting involved in a fight with players.

This is just insanity.

I'm doubling down here because to me, this week has highlighted so many issues with the NRL but I really think this is not getting the air time it should be.

I didn't watch the game BUT according to the charge sheet, Ola'kau'atu is facing only a 2-3 game suspension for being involved in the melee.

Wait a minute, this is a guy WHO WAS NOT IN THE TEAM AND NOT 18TH MAN. This guy should be facing a life time ban (I am not saying he should be, I'm just saying an example needs to be made here, goodness me).

No wait, before going off your heads at this being overboard, RE-READ WHAT I CAPITALISED ABOVE.

He was NOT IN THE TEAM, so essentially, this is a guy who has come from the stands to join in a fight. How is more not being made of this? If this was any other spectator getting involved, they would be facing a life time ban and a MASSIVE fine. Why is this different?
Now this is in the same week as the idiot in charge of officiating coming out and saying we have to suspend Kennedy for running into a referee who got himself in the way because, and look, try not to laugh while I quote the bloke:

"We can never get to a stage where we make it permissible to move a referee out of the way, regardless of if he is in the way or not,"

"It's not very hard to get yourself into a position where you can have the referee between you and the ball or a defender.

"And the next thing you know is there is a collision, and 'oh sorry, it was an accident'.

"They would say 'you don't get in trouble for hitting the referee in the NRL, why am I getting charged for hitting a referee in the local park?'

So...we are suspending a player because THE REF MADE A MISTAKE so that some incoherent babbling doesn't occur locally.

However, we are only giving 2 weeks (with an early guilty plea) to a guy who is essentially a spectator getting involved in a fight with players.

This is just insanity.
I'm sure the NSW media are going to be just as outraged.

It would be interesting to see what the repercussions would be if a staff member/trainer ran over and got involved in a brawl. They, like Olakauatu, are official members of the team, albeit not in a playing capacity (similar to Olakauatu). Would the staff be given a similar ban or would they be removed and barred from future participation?

I think the overall take is kinda unhinged though. Lifetime ban? Ok.

This is just insanity.

We should also be enraged with Cam Murray not being sent off. Its as equally heinous as a "non-player" getting involved in a scuffle.

Murray was on the bench/sidelines and wasn't on the field.....nek minut he's involved in a fight on the sidelines from the bench.....he should have been an automatic send off......

and Cam Murray should be spending the rest of the season suspended.

It would be interesting to see what the repercussions would be if a staff member/trainer ran over and got involved in a brawl. They, like Olakauatu, are official members of the team, albeit not in a playing capacity (similar to Olakauatu). Would the staff be given a similar ban or would they be removed and barred from future participation?

I think what you've painted re a staff member has happened in Jnr footy and the lower grades....and from memory those involved were barred from ever attending another game of RL again.

I think what you've painted re a staff member has happened in Jnr footy and the lower grades....and from memory those involved were barred from ever attending another game of RL again.
I figured that would be the case too.

I dunno. Didn't seem like much of a fight - more of a group hug on the sidelines. Should have just been NSW error and play on.

Yes lifetime ban should be discussed, of course not happen. This is the kind of situation a statement needs to be made, not the stupid Kennedy lunacy.

This is just insanity.

Precis ; I didn`t watch the match . Have no context other than some highlights .
Don`t understand that he was on the bench with his team . Melle splilt over on to the bench where he was sitting . And he got involved in some pushing and shoving .
But I am outraged ! LOL .

Precis ; I didn`t watch the match . Have no context other than some highlights .
Don`t understand that he was on the bench with his team . Melle splilt over on to the bench where he was sitting . And he got involved in some pushing and shoving .
But I am outraged ! LOL .

Dude, there really is a good motto you should start to live by:

Don't reply unless you've actually read something carefully.

Not a lifetime ban but 6 weeks, Yes. They are fucking with the integrity of the game ( what's left of it) by not giving bigger suspensions.
Murray absolutley should have been sent, a player cannot be involved in that from off the field, it is not up to the ref to make a dicretionary ruling.
Murray essentially took the decision out of the refs hands by running 15 mtrs to get involved but Klein went to water not wanting to ruin the contest.
The refs have to rule on what happens not if his decision might impact the the spectacle.
Just a pathetic weak ruling that has set a precedent.

Not a lifetime ban but 6 weeks, Yes. They are fucking with the integrity of the game ( what's left of it) by not giving bigger suspensions.
Murray absolutley should have been sent, a player cannot be involved in that from off the field, it is not up to the ref to make a dicretionary ruling.
Murray essentially took the decision out of the refs hands by running 15 mtrs to get involved but Klein went to water not wanting to ruin the contest.
The refs have to rule on what happens not if his decision might impact the the spectacle.
Consistency isn't a thing in the NRL. I doubt the word "precedent" is in the governing body's vocabulary.

They'll just send a Tigers bloke off for being square at the ruck against a top 4 side again to try and show that they're clamping down on foul play.

Does anyone remember what the bans were for the Manly/Storm brawl? Pretty sure guys came off the bench to get involved in that.

What do you make of Kaufusi's involvement?

Doesn't race in like Murray, but he clearly involves himself albeit to help separate the players.

Were any of the other Maroons bench players involved?

Lifetime ban is well over the top and if they were going to go soft on Murray, they may as well said 'alright you've got that out of your system, we'll play the error and moving forward both teams need to clean it up in the ruck'.

What do you make of Kaufusi's involvement?

Doesn't race in like Murray, but he clearly involves himself albeit to help separate the players.

Were any of the other Maroons bench players involved?

Lifetime ban is well over the top and if they were going to go soft on Murray, they may as well said 'alright you've got that out of your system, we'll play the error and moving forward both teams need to clean it up in the ruck'.
Havent seen it TBH or heard it mentioned anywhere. He wasn't charged and I'm sure they would have looked very hard at that.

Does anyone remember what the bans were for the Manly/Storm brawl? Pretty sure guys came off the bench to get involved in that.

Blair- five weeks
Stewart- three weeks
Lussick-three weeks
Stewart- one week
Foran- one week
Waqa- one week

Part of the fault needs to come back to the ground manager; those players shouldn't be on the bench.

When you look at it from the stand side, Cotter rag dolls Luai into a chair and then keeps going over the chairs.

If you wanted to forensically go over it, you'd be handing out about six life bans.

The Queensland bench partially had no choice, it's their bench all the players are hurtling towards them, but Murray had a choice to run from his bench and get involved and I believe they have the correct two worse.

A few weeks is fair, they didn't go on the field, and they didn't throw a punch- those are the two big crimes from the bench.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • FACTHUNT
  • Socnorb
  • Mister Wright
  • Sproj
  • Totally Unr3al
  • RodF
  • bert_lifts
  • teampjta
  • Bronx48
  • Fozz
  • Strop
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.