Origin 2014 Chat

Discussion in 'State of Origin 2014' started by Sproj, May 27, 2014.

1. Sproj

Sproj

Here we go lads!! One-all, you know it!!

Foordy likes this.
  2. Sproj

Sproj

I'm all for delays but that was ridiculous from NSW.

3. ningnangnong

ningnangnong HACK THE PLANET!!!

I remember the days when Origin kicked off at 8 on the dot, or 8:05 at the latest.

4. Sproj

Sproj

Thank NSW for that delay.

5. Broncoman

Broncoman State of Origin Rep

Mitchell Pearce gets dropped from the team and guess what WE WIN

Epic stuff

6. LittleDavey83

LittleDavey83 NRL Player

Bundy
    Fixed.

Sproj, Porthoz and CaptainHook like this.
  7. Will do a full review of Origin 2 soon but decided to hunt down the Mat Scott incident.

Occurs around the 12th minute mark in the same play where Farah hits DCE with a big swinging arm (which looked legal, even on replay). DCE pops an offload to Scott who sort of crabs around the field before being taken by Bird and a few other Blues defenders. As he's going to ground, Farah comes in over the top and strikes Scott's face with his knee.

Would be a stretch to call it intentional but the outcome was pretty obvious as Scott plays the ball with a giant cut across his cheek.

Moments later, Guerra gets a fortunate penalty for the helecopter spin from Bird, Myles tells the referee to check it and they never do.

I'd like to see the replay from another angle, unfortunately Smith gets in the way of the one shot we have.

8. Charmamba

Charmamba Life is a Fantasy League

Farah is a grub and I can't stand the bloke.

CaptainHook likes this.
  9. I'm still waiting for the video of the many contentious moments... [MENTION=8536]Super Freak[/MENTION]! :wink:

10. I just got a copy of the game, I'll be doing it. Should be done by tonight.

Porthoz likes this.
  11. Looking at the Bird penalty...

Can't hear what Hayne calls the penalty for. Wasn't offside so can only assume the Maroons were pinged for taking the ball off Bird after the tackle was complete but that would be extremely harsh.

LittleDavey83 likes this.
  12. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Captain

Also throws more forward passes than an NFL quarterback.

13. Charmamba

Charmamba Life is a Fantasy League

You talking about the one where Pigeon pretty much just let go of the balls and we got penalised for it?

14. That's the one.

15. CaptainHook

CaptainHook NRL Player

Having reflected on the game, here are a few of my thoughts:

I think this was the year that complacency finally crept into the Maroons camp. After eight years of unprecedented success, I'm amazed that it hadn't happened earlier. The preparation for Game 2 in particular left a lot to be desired. I can't help thinking even a few years ago, DCE would have been ruled out early on and we would have gone with Ben Hunt. It turned into a bit of a shambles, tbh. Ben Hunt trained all week and we should've went with him.

Picking 20, 30, 40 man squads is nonsense at this level. Yes, they are great players and should be given every opportunity but in Origin we need 17 able bodied guys, not superstars on one leg. The fact that DCE only completed one session and was the preferred option just smacks of a "she'll be right" attitude and a real sign of disrespect to our opposition.

As others have commented, the refereeing was terrible. There was SO much grubby stuff from both teams. I know Origin is different but geez, that was bad even by Origin standards. Having said that, it's not the reason we lost. We should have known that the 50/50 calls, hell even the 90/10 calls in our favour, weren't going to go our way and we needed to brace ourselves for it.

Perhaps the worse thing is that NSW did a QLD on Queensland. They were the team that earned repeat sets, respected the football, gained field position and did the little things right. It was like the teams wore the wrong jerseys out. We were guilty of the "all or nothing" play and squandered what little attacking opportunities we had. Here's a hint, boys: If it's not on - just roll it in goal and start again. At the very least, you'll tire them out and maybe gaps will appear. QLD looked to panic which is surprising considering their wealth of experience.

Interesting times ahead for the Maroons. We pride ourselves on loyalty, mateship etc but the cold, hard reality is some of our players are getting on and they are not the players they once were. Yes, we only lost by 4 and 2 points respectively but that is a bit deceiving. The way we have lost, injuries or no, points to poor preparation. Maybe it was the loss we had to have to clear the air and get down to business. There's been a lot of talk about dropping players left and right like Gillett, Guerra, Teo etc but by and large I think we do have the best players available. With some players already ruled out though, I'd like us to look to the future and choose some rookies and not recall guys to "do a job." We need to take this opportunity to plan for the future, not look to the past for a face saving win.

16. That's the thing. Refereeing should appear and be impartial. Someone should have told Qld before the game that new rules were in place

17. The preparation was far from ideal but I think it was a real lose/lose situation for the Maroons.

Benny Hunt has made tremendous progress, but he's still got a lot of facets to his game to work on before he can perform at this level. To rest all your hopes on him would have been just as bad.

I'm glad we gave Daly Cherry-Evans every opportunity and while it didn't work out, I thought he really put in despite the extra attention.

Well, a 23 man squad because there were question marks over 5 players. Again, I'd rather see them give the likes of Billy Slater, Greg Inglis, Corey Parker, Josh Papalii and Daly Cherry-Evans every opportunity than decide half-way through 'oh shit, better call such and such in' The chances of them putting in a Brett Finch Origin I 2006 performance is remote.

I generally agree with everything else. It's hard to swallow that we lost the Shield based on this second game but when you factor in Origin I then it's pretty easy to swallow. I just felt like in the second game, a lot of elements conspired against the Maroons and the NSW were able to capitilise on it.

CaptainHook likes this.
  18. CaptainHook

CaptainHook NRL Player

Agreed but it's not a new thing. Look at last year's decider and some of the rubbish calls that went against us. It's a miracle we held on.

19. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Captain

You don't know that though. Hunt has been the form halfback this year (And yes there is proof of this), he also trained with the team and was fit, unlike DCE. The reason we lost was because we did not select the best possible players in each position. Origin teams should not be picked on who played last year. If a player is outplayed by another player available, they should not be in the team.

Ben Hunt has a couple of strong elements that have paid off for him at club level and I'm very happy that he's apart of the Broncos but areas such as his kicking game (which is improving) and his passing game (still needs a fair bit of work) have let him down and to expect him to perform in that type of environment would have been premature.

Daly Cherry-Evans has experienced the intensity of these do or die games before at club and has a premiership and a Clive Churchill medal to show for it. He had to be given every opportunity and while we didn't get the result that we wanted, he didn't let the Maroons down.

I also cannot agree with basing selections on form. If that was the case, we would have cycled through halves each and every game for the past 8 years.