Our new halfback should be

whats this Scarlett guy like? .. pretty sure they had some wraps on him at the Panthers
I went to school wish Sam Scarlett and played a lot of footy with and against him and still follow him a fair bit. Unfortunately not at all nrl standard I'd say purely there for an absolute disaster injury run if we really get into trouble.
He goes ok in Q cup but just not the quality needed for nrl, definitely behind Murphy and Nichols who I believe could possible play nrl behind a decent pack and a good halves later but definitely wouldn't be stars either.

Sign Trent Hodkinson

Nah.

I was a fan of him at the Bulldogs, thought he was a good signing for the Knights, but after watching him over the last 12 months at the Knights, no thank you! He was horrible.

Stats don't tell the whole story, but for a comparison, he was much worse than Brooks & Mbye last year -

Mbye - 25 games, 15 try assists, 10 line-breaks, 15 line-break assists.
Brooks - 21 games, 14 try assists, 3 line-breaks, 19 line-break assists.
Hodkinson - 23 games, 13 try assists, 3 line-breaks, 9 line-break assists.

He was also arguably worse than Marshall, who had his worst season ever -

Marshall - 16 games, 11 try assists, 3 line-breaks, 9 line-break assists.

Unfortunately, there are no stats that measure 5th tackle decision making or attacking kick ability... without aligning myself with Hodkinson, he might have the edge over those guys in those aspects.

Unfortunately, there are no stats that measure 5th tackle decision making or attacking kick ability... without aligning myself with Hodkinson, he might have the edge over those guys in those aspects.
His 5th tackle decision making and kicking last year was woeful in the games I saw. Although it's impossible to know how much of that was down to playing in a basket case of a team.

His 5th tackle decision making and kicking last year was woeful in the games I saw. Although it's impossible to know how much of that was down to playing in a basket case of a team.
Yeah, I didn't see much of him last season, but thought he wasn't bad at Manly or Dogs, without being very good.
Capable of implementing a game plan, and more than reasonable kicking... very much a Shane Perry type, but with good Goal Kicking ability imo.

Yeah, I didn't see much of him last season, but thought he wasn't bad at Manly or Dogs, without being very good.
Capable of implementing a game plan, and more than reasonable kicking... very much a Shane Perry type, but with good Goal Kicking ability imo.
He was quite good at the Dogs - I honestly can't remember his time at Manly. There's a good chance he could get back to his Dogs level if he played for us. I don't particularly rate him, even at his best, but he's more or less the exact sort of player we need.

We could try and get Nicholls or another option is looking into Zach Dockar-Clay from the panthers his very promising and has played multiple times for Nz juniors.

Or I know I might be judged for this but Daniel Mortimer, I believe he's underrated but he is another option.

Yeah, no Hodkinson, thanks. Look to pinch some younger talent IMO.

We could try and get Nicholls or another option is looking into Zach Dockar-Clay from the panthers his very promising and has played multiple times for Nz juniors.

Or I know I might be judged for this but Daniel Mortimer, I believe he's underrated but he is another option.

There you are, you're back. Huzzah!

This conversation really highlights the lack of genuine out & out top notch playmakers in the game currently....

This conversation really highlights the lack of genuine out & out top notch playmakers in the game currently....
That's why I think Kahu deserves serious consideration. I don't see anything in his skill set or temperament that indicates he would do a worse job than anyone else we could realistically get for next year.

When has Kahu ever demonstrated his ability to kick the ball? I'm sure he's had the odd kick, but he's yet to demonstrate anything more than what you'd expect of a centre. In fact, it was barely above Reed's kicking game which was surprisingly effective at points.

Plus could Brisbane really risk their future on such an injury prone player?

When has Kahu ever demonstrated his ability to kick the ball? I'm sure he's had the odd kick, but he's yet to demonstrate anything more than what you'd expect of a centre. In fact, it was barely above Reed's kicking game which was surprisingly effective at points.

Plus could Brisbane really risk their future on such an injury prone player?
He can certainly kick reasonably well, and was a five-eight for a while in the junior grades, but not at the level required for a halfback.

Active Now

• Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.