Our new halfback should be

The more I think about this the more I think Ash Taylor will be our halfback in 2018. I reckon it was Bennetts plan all along, let him earn some decent money and experience at a neighbouring club rather than leaving him in ISC with the idea of getting him back in 2018... Too many rumours about the whole situation and coincidences. First Taylor is released, which seemed crazy, but? Then there are rumours of Hunt on the outer despite club officials going out of their way to squash rumours... Then we sign Benji ( I reckon as cover in case Hunt left sooner ).... It's all part of the plan

The more I think about this the more I think Ash Taylor will be our halfback in 2018. I reckon it was Bennetts plan all along, let him earn some decent money and experience at a neighbouring club rather than leaving him in ISC with the idea of getting him back in 2018... Too many rumours about the whole situation and coincidences. First Taylor is released, which seemed crazy, but? Then there are rumours of Hunt on the outer despite club officials going out of their way to squash rumours... Then we sign Benji ( I reckon as cover in case Hunt left sooner ).... It's all part of the plan

but do you really think that the Titans will release him to us in 2018 ... because i don't.

Titans have made it clear they will not be releasing Taylor. Or Elgey.

but do you really think that the Titans will release him to us in 2018 ... because i don't.

It'd say it's possible. It will depend on Elgey & Roberts, if they're both healthy and playing well in 2017, and Taylor requests a release at the end of the season, they wouldn't really have any motivation to deny his request and have an unhappy Taylor playing there when you already have a couple of young guys to build around, and if he requests a release they'd be well aware that he has no intentions of re-signing beyond 2018.

Titans have made it clear they will not be releasing Taylor. Or Elgey.
Clubs say that stuff all the time... Nek minute... Nothing is a certainty of course but it's just that a few of the whispers and rumours of late are making sense...

It'd say it's possible. It will depend on Elgey & Roberts, if they're both healthy and playing well in 2017, and Taylor requests a release at the end of the season, they wouldn't really have any motivation to deny his request and have an unhappy Taylor playing there when you already have a couple of young guys to build around, and if he requests a release they'd be well aware that he has no intentions of re-signing beyond 2018.
Exactly

Im pretty sure it is/was the plan . Bennett wanted Taylor to go to manly originally but I think Taylor wasn't keen . Rogerwilco stated in a thread , that Taylor was released on the condition he got game time. He also said that Taylor was getting experience at someone else's expense, and he would definitely be returning. Things do change though , but it seems that Wayne had a plan similar to what is panning out. Will have to wait and see i guess, but i for one would love a Taylor/milford combo.

This is the thing! If roberts is still around at years end , I'd be happy to put money on Taylor being back in 2018. A roberts / Elgey combo is still pretty formidable i think.

I get the feeling some people around here are heading for a big disappointment and are getting their hope up way to high that we will be able to get Taylor for 2018 regardless for his contractual situation.

Here's something else to think about, IMO, Hayne won't be hanging around the Titans long term. They won't want to lose hayne and Taylor, because if Taylor stays on his current path and keeps improving he will soar way past what Roberts is capable of (he is already a better player IMO)

And Roberts is off contract at seasons end. If I was them i would be cutting Roberts and using that money to ensure you keep Taylor long term.

Taylor seems to be a pretty loyal kid to me and he may want to repay the Titans for giving him his shot in first grade.

hell, even if we sign him for 2019, the Titans could just refuse to release him out of spite ... just like the Raiders and Milford

hell, even if we sign him for 2019, the Titans could just refuse to release him out of spite ... just like the Raiders and Milford

Like us with Ben Hunt..

I wouldn't even be mad if they declined to release him, we'd just be forced to have a bridge season if that's the case. It'll be worth the wait if we end up with the best 2 young halves of the generation.

Like us with Ben Hunt..

I wouldn't even be mad if they declined to release him, we'd just be forced to have a bridge season if that's the case. It'll be worth the wait if we end up with the best 2 young halves of the generation.

or Taylor may not improve on his debut season, or even goes to shit (although i'm not banking on this) 2 years is a long time in rugby league.

signing Taylor for 2019 could mean we get a gun half or a dud half, I think.it is too far out to even consider signing him at this stage. I think we need to look at our options for next season first. IMO, signing him with the understanding that he won't be here until 2019 is almost like admitting that we are going to sacrifice the 2018 season.

AFAIK, Hunt hasn't even asked for a release either.

Sign Taylor when we are aloud to start negotiating and hope for an early release in 2018.

Sign Taylor when we are aloud to start negotiating and hope for an early release in 2018.

We can negotiate with him now... i think it is very foolish to negotiate with a player (especially a rookie) two years out though

or Taylor may not improve on his debut season, or even goes to shit (although i'm not banking on this) 2 years is a long time in rugby league.

signing Taylor for 2019 could mean we get a gun half or a dud half, I think.it is too far out to even consider signing him at this stage. I think we need to look at our options for next season first. IMO, signing him with the understanding that he won't be here until 2019 is almost like admitting that we are going to sacrifice the 2018 season.

AFAIK, Hunt hasn't even asked for a release either.

Honestly at this point I'd say it's like a 5% chance that Taylor is a bust. Maybe less. We all knew he had the tools to be a great half, but we didn't know if he could transition it into the NRL from the NYC. He's already done that, it'd just be counter-intuitive to consider NOT signing him because of that tiny chance he goes full Tim Smith.

He said he wants to stay at Titians because they gave him a chance, that's bull broncos set him up and Bennett organised everything so he could play in the NRL.

Honestly at this point I'd say it's like a 5% chance that Taylor is a bust. Maybe less. We all knew he had the tools to be a great half, but we didn't know if he could transition it into the NRL from the NYC. He's already done that, it'd just be counter-intuitive to consider NOT signing him because of that tiny chance he goes full Tim Smith.

I do agree with you ... i think Taylor is a future origin player ... But

as i said two years is a long time in rugby league, so much could potential happen before we sign him. he could go full Tim Smith or Daniel Mortimer, he could do his ACL and be out for 12 months (plus possible another 6-12 months to get his form and confidence back) or he could continue to grow into the halfback we need (which i don't think he is yet)

by signing him it guarantee's we miss out on a half that is off contract for 2018.

He said he wants to stay at Titians because they gave him a chance, that's bull broncos set him up and Bennett organised everything so he could play in the NRL.

It's not BS at all ... The Titans did give him a chance at first grade ... while we did the right thing by him by not standing in his way, the Titans were the club that gave him the opportunity

Active Now

• Ghost of Vlansys
  • Harry Sack
  • theshed
  • Skyblues87
  • Lurker
  • broncos4life
  • Xzei
  • Bish
  • kman
  • Totally Unr3al
  • jd87
  • mrtij
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.