Our new halfback should be

Although we all want the best possible players in each position, its just just not doable from a financial point of view. All so there is the old adage ..... a champion team will always beat a team of champions. Thus if we get the best player suited to the team in each position we evolve into a champion team. Players in the Jack Reed mould

Why settle for reed when you can have a Crocker for similar coin

Brisbane skipper Darius Boyd open to Darren Lockyer-like No.6 move

DARIUS Boyd has declared he is open to a Darren Lockyer-like move into the famous Brisbane No.6 jersey to fill the hole left by Ben Hunt’s impending departure.

With Hunt moving to St George Illawarra next season on a rich five-year deal, coach Wayne Bennett must find a new halves partner for Anthony Milford.

The Broncos are not bereft of options, with a slew of top-line playmakers including Kieran Foran, Shaun Johnson, Mitchell Moses, Luke Brooks, Josh Reynolds and Gareth Widdop on the market.

The Broncos also recently re-signed utility Kodi Nikorima, who has expressed his desire to step up into the starting side.

The club is reported by foxsports.com.auto have discussed plans to move Boyd from fullback into five-eighth and for Milford to play halfback.

That shift would emulate the career trajectory of Broncos, Queensland and Australian great Lockyer who began his career at fullback before making a highly successful move into the halves.

Boyd said that while he hadn’t given such a switch much thought, he was open to it.

“At the end of the day, we’ve got Benny for one more year and we really need to focus on that,” he said.

“Benny’s a great leader on and off the field and he’ll do a great job of that this year.

“Down the track I’m open for whatever’s best for the team. I can cross that point when I come to it.”

When announcing Boyd as the club’s new captain this month, Bennett made numerous comparisons between the 29-year-old and Lockyer.

Bennett noted that Boyd had thrived in a playmaking role at the Auckland Nines and, like Lockyer, was meticulous in his preparation.

Bennett was rumoured to have considered moulding Boyd into a playmaker when the pair were together at Newcastle.

Boyd said the five-eighth and fullback positions were similar in the modern game, but he would have to apply himself to make a fist of any move.

“There a lot less running in the halves and more tackling in the front line. There’s a lot more organising in the front line,” Boyd said.

“It’s a little a bit different but these days fullbacks are like another half.

“There’s kicking responsibilities too. If that did happen, it’s something I’d really train at and hone some more skills, especially in the kicking department.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...e/news-story/771d6fd5af8a9c64446694506e566aa2

I've said this before but when Lockyer made the move he was already an outstanding playmaker and one of our primary kickers short and long. The only issue was going to be his defence and the fact he was the best fullback in the world at the time.

Boyd is a playmaker from fullback, which could be said of most fullbacks nowadays, however the massive difference is when he receives the ball now he's on the outside of the second rower and up against 3 men if he were moved to 6 it would be completely different and he'd be up against the frontline. He also hasn't shown much of an ability or willingness to be involved in the kicking game.

One thing is his defence would be fine if he were to move, but why go through all that effort for a potential stop gap. I feel we will be in a holding pattern next year with a look to buying in 2019 and Bennett is just fluffing up the commentators feathers by not giving anything away.

Why settle for reed when you can have a Crocker for similar coin

There is no way in hell Crocker is on the same coin as reed. Also Crocker is a horrendous defender hence why he has never played origin

There is no way in hell Crocker is on the same coin as reed. Also Crocker is a horrendous defender hence why he has never played origin

I wouldn't say he is a horrendous defender.

He has improved quite a bit defensively over the years and averaged 1.25 missed tackles per game last year. 34 missed tackles, 340 missed tackles all up.

Croker is a very underrated player. I would love to have him at the Broncos.

I don't think his defence is the reason why he hasn't played Origin.. NSW have picked some pretty average defenders.

Although we all want the best possible players in each position, its just just not doable from a financial point of view. All so there is the old adage ..... a champion team will always beat a team of champions. Thus if we get the best player suited to the team in each position we evolve into a champion team. Players in the Jack Reed mould

What did we win with reed at centre ? Not bagging him, but honestly we probably could've
I've said this before but when Lockyer made the move he was already an outstanding playmaker and one of our primary kickers short and long. The only issue was going to be his defence and the fact he was the best fullback in the world at the time.

Boyd is a playmaker from fullback, which could be said of most fullbacks nowadays, however the massive difference is when he receives the ball now he's on the outside of the second rower and up against 3 men if he were moved to 6 it would be completely different and he'd be up against the frontline. He also hasn't shown much of an ability or willingness to be involved in the kicking game.

One thing is his defence would be fine if he were to move, but why go through all that effort for a potential stop gap. I feel we will be in a holding pattern next year with a look to buying in 2019 and Bennett is just fluffing up the commentators feathers by not giving anything away.

Locky was a 5/8th turned in to a fullback, I'm sure. Boyd is good but i don't think he would be a complete 5/8

I wouldn't say he is a horrendous defender.

He has improved quite a bit defensively over the years and averaged 1.25 missed tackles per game last year. 34 missed tackles, 340 missed tackles all up.

Croker is a very underrated player. I would love to have him at the Broncos.

I don't think his defence is the reason why he hasn't played Origin.. NSW have picked some pretty average defenders.
Pretty sure he was on $400k + and Croker was similar. Funny how so many people love reed know!!

Pretty sure he was on $400k + and Croker was similar. Funny how so many people love reed know!!
There were a few very vocal ppl that disliked reed. But A lot of ppl saw the value he added to the team but couldnt be arsed arguing or justifying themselves.

Reed did a job that the broncs needed him to do for an average pay packet.

It's a long road ahead of him, but if he can come back from two shoulder reconstructions, he can accomplish anything.

As Cronulla, North Queensland, Souths and Sydney have shown, you don't require two flashy centres to win a premiership.

Regardless my intention wasn't to turn this thread into a Opacic/Reed love-in. I just think fans and the media have to open their minds to the possibility that there isn't an immediate replacement and the Broncos would be better off tending to other areas of their team.

There were a few very vocal ppl that disliked reed. But A lot of ppl saw the value he added to the team but couldnt be arsed arguing or justifying themselves.

Reed did a job that the broncs needed him to do for an average pay packet.

I agree! All im saying is why can't we aim for better.

Unread

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • davidp
  • Brocko
  • Johnny92
  • Rookie Alan
  • Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • FACTHUNT
  • Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Aldo
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Dexter
  • marw
  • Jedhead
  • BooKhaki
  • broncsgoat
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.