Our new halfback should be

Really ? Is that inside info or suspicion?

Little bit of both, but i'm not sure if its somebody i know who was winding me up who works at the Titans. They arent usually wind up merchants, so i kind of believe them. Not saying its a strong chance of him leaving, but i wouldnt be shocked either. They way he is playing as well, if we dont tie him down soon, he is going to want bigger and bigger money.

Little bit of both, but i'm not sure if its somebody i know who was winding me up who works at the Titans. They arent usually wind up merchants, so i kind of believe them. Not saying its a strong chance of him leaving, but i wouldnt be shocked either. They way he is playing as well, if we dont tie him down soon, he is going to want bigger and bigger money.

Ah ok ! A reliable source on here seems pretty confident in him staying and bird in the centers. Although he also said that Bennett wasn't sure on where bird will play yet.

Ah ok ! A reliable source on here seems pretty confident in him staying and bird in the centers. Although he also said that Bennett wasn't sure on where bird will play yet.

I dont think he is sure where he will play him, but i do think it will be Lock or 5/8. Hard to get any read on Bennett!

That video of his previous form begs to differ.

To me, Moga carries all the hallmarks of a decent player coming back from injury after spending a significant amount of time on the sidelines. Prior to 2017, he'd played a total of 7 matches in three years, so he's still finding his way a bit.... IMO. There are signs. He's shown a couple times he has an awesome crunch tackle and a very strong fend. I don't think he's as slow as you're making him out to be. He'd be quicker than Kahu.

Certainly hasn't pieced it all together yet. He needs more time before we dump him to the QCup.

Mead, the only logical replacement for Kahu to shift into centre in Moga's place, still doesn't inspire me as being rock solid enough or a better replacement, just yet.
I think he is quicker than he looks. A couple of times he has gotten away through a half break and just when I thought he would get rounded up easily, the opposition has been taken by surprise. His biggest problem is that he plants his feet in defence and can easily be taken on the outside.

He's an intriguing player. If he gets it right, he could be good. Just not sure he has the consistency in him to really cement himself and put the doubters to rest.

I think he is quicker than he looks. A couple of times he has gotten away through a half break and just when I thought he would get rounded up easily, the opposition has been taken by surprise. His biggest problem is that he plants his feet in defence and can easily be taken on the outside.

He's an intriguing player. If he gets it right, he could be good. Just not sure he has the consistency in him to really cement himself and put the doubters to rest.

Yeah , you're right about him planting his feet. Smokin joe has mentioned this and also stated reed and opacic do or did the same.

Kodi Nikorima should be our next halfback.

We look so much more dangerous in attack with him at number 7 than Ben Hunt it is amazing.

His defence is not too bad and will only improve.

Kodi Nikorima should be our next halfback.

We look so much more dangerous in attack with him at number 7 than Ben Hunt it is amazing.

His defence is not too bad and will only improve.

I probably couldn't disagree more.

I don't understand all this hype Nikorima is getting, yeah he's not playing awful, but he's not exactly playing like a Halfback either, he's doing exactly what I and many others predicted, showing that he's got a capable running game and good instincts, but severely lacks the kicking game and management skills of a real Halfback.

We're basically playing 2 running Five-Eighth's right now, which may work for a couple of weeks against poor opposition, but the second we come up against a top 4 side with a good kicking game, we're completely toast. For example we started the season 2-2 against arguably the top 4 sides and came out 2-2, I think we would have been 0-4 with Nikorima instead of Hunt.

I'm all for giving him a proper opportunity and everything, but declaring him our Halfback of the future is completely short-sighted, he still hasn't come close to proving to me that he could help steer the team around for 26 rounds in 2018. I'm still leaning towards signing a stop-gap on a 1 year deal, someone like Tyrone Roberts.

I probably couldn't disagree more.

I don't understand all this hype Nikorima is getting, yeah he's not playing awful, but he's not exactly playing like a Halfback either, he's doing exactly what I and many others predicted, showing that he's got a capable running game and good instincts, but severely lacks the kicking game and management skills of a real Halfback.

We're basically playing 2 running Five-Eighth's right now, which may work for a couple of weeks against poor opposition, but the second we come up against a top 4 side with a good kicking game, we're completely toast. For example we started the season 2-2 against arguably the top 4 sides and came out 2-2, I think we would have been 0-4 with Nikorima instead of Hunt.

I'm all for giving him a proper opportunity and everything, but declaring him our Halfback of the future is completely short-sighted, he still hasn't come close to proving to me that he could help steer the team around for 26 rounds in 2018. I'm still leaning towards signing a stop-gap on a 1 year deal, someone like Tyrone Roberts.
You summed it up perfectly. I don't get this Kodi love with some fans as it is extremely clear to me that he certainly isn't capable of holding down a full time position (maybe with Norths) as a #7. A bench utility is all he will ever be along with a being a half decent fill in when one of the starters go down.

It's not like we miss Hunt's average kicking and/or poor game management, and albeit more vulnerable in defense, have a look at how dangerous our right side has looked with him, as compared to when Hunt is there... even if Kodi definitely isn't a halfback either.

I just wish we had Bennett around when Norman first came onto the scene.

Agree (except without Roberts)........way premature to be calling Knik our next half.

It's not like we miss Hunt's average kicking and/or poor game management, and albeit more vulnerable in defense, have a look at how dangerous our right side has looked with him, as compared to when Hunt is there... even if Kodi definitely isn't a halfback either.

I'll come out and say it.

I couldn't give two ***** if Ben Hunt never plays in a Brisbane jumper again.

Milford and Johnson should time their moments of going missing so they are at different times and we always have someone there
That's a great idea. Hunt and Milford should give that a try too!

I quite like the thought of that actually.

I didn't like the idea of Boyd at six at first...but it could work. Boyd plays like a 5/8 at the line anyway, and he sometimes disappoints me with his lack of 'fullback runs' if anyone knows what I'm getting at. I can't remember the last time I saw Boyd at full speed, too much jumping on the spot and surrendering in tackles but he is improving with that.

Bird had any good games at fullback?

I didn't like the idea of Boyd at six at first...but it could work. Boyd plays like a 5/8 at the line anyway, and he sometimes disappoints me with his lack of 'fullback runs' if anyone knows what I'm getting at. I can't remember the last time I saw Boyd at full speed, too much jumping on the spot and surrendering in tackles but he is improving with that.

Bird had any good games at fullback?
Boyd was making "fullback" runs only a couple weeks ago against titans??

I'm not keen on Boyd at 5/8... at fullback he has a lot less traffic in front of him for the sweep whereas at 5/8 he'll have to ball play at the line, which he has never done even as a junior. The decision making process for a fullback is much easier on the back end of the sweep compared to a five eight who gets the ball before the decoy even runs through.

His cut out pass, whilst typically on the money, is lofted and floats to the winger rather than a bullet, which Lockyer already had prior to the move.

On Bird he played fullback against Canberra and looked pretty damn good in attack. His defense wasn't tested at all though. Didn't have to take any bombs, minimal kick returns, grubbers, etc. so pretty hard to get a gauge on where he would be at

Boyd was making "fullback" runs only a couple weeks ago against titans??

I'm not keen on Boyd at 5/8... at fullback he has a lot less traffic in front of him for the sweep whereas at 5/8 he'll have to ball play at the line, which he has never done even as a junior. The decision making process for a fullback is much easier on the back end of the sweep compared to a five eight who gets the ball before the decoy even runs through.

His cut out pass, whilst typically on the money, is lofted and floats to the winger rather than a bullet, which Lockyer already had prior to the move.

On Bird he played fullback against Canberra and looked pretty damn good in attack. His defense wasn't tested at all though. Didn't have to take any bombs, minimal kick returns, grubbers, etc. so pretty hard to get a gauge on where he would be at

I mentioned Boyd was improving, early in the season he was making soft as runs on the return. Boyd has had some pearlers as far as cut out passes, no Locky of course (who is?) but it does the job. He could be a suitable, uncomplicated 5/8 that lays the platform and allows Milf to do what he does - not much of a kicking game though, so that would put it on Milf, who is a decent kicker but much better runner.

I think whatever the combo ends up being, we need to see more of the fullback-5/8 combining in attack. And Boyd offering a bit more in attack (which he has been doing the last few weeks).

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.