Our new halfback should be

Mightybroncs2k17

Mightybroncs2k17

NRL Player
Jan 15, 2017
Gotta give Niko some credit, we haven't lost a game since he's been at halfback. He hasn't set the world on fire but I think he's shown some good touches and it's literally only his 4th or 5th time playing 80 minutes in the nrl let alone 80 minutes at halfback in the nrl.

If it came down to it we could do much worse then him for next year. Especially if he continues to improve.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Gotta give Niko some credit, we haven't lost a game since he's been at halfback. He hasn't set the world on fire but I think he's shown some good touches and it's literally only his 4th or 5th time playing 80 minutes in the nrl let alone 80 minutes at halfback in the nrl.

If it came down to it we could do much worse then him for next year. Especially if he continues to improve.

And I bet he will too.

L

Locky888

QCup Player
Aug 28, 2015
Ash Taylor was quite ordinary when he started playing for the Broncos, now look at him. Hunt was ordinary too when he first started. Nikorima is at least 1-2 years away before he breaks out, he just needs time and opportunity. The problem is, Nikorima is already 1 year older than Ash Taylor but a couple of years behind him in development.

Last edited:
Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Ash Taylor was quite ordinary when he started playing for the Broncos, now look at him. Hunt was ordinary too when he first started. Nikorima is at least 1-2 years away before he breaks out, he just needs time and opportunity. The problem is, Nikorima is already 1 year older than Ash Taylor but a couple of years behind him in development.
Ash Taylor played one game for the Broncos. I don't get the comparison to Niko, they are not in the same galaxy talent wise.

Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe

QCup Player
Dec 11, 2013
Ash Taylor played one game for the Broncos. I don't get the comparison to Niko, they are not in the same galaxy talent wise.

There is no comparison between them really. Two totally different skill sets and playing styles.

Talent wise, it's open to interpretation. I feel Kodi is just as talented, but in very different aspects of his game.

One thing that Ash Taylor needs to develop more is his running game and challenging the line. It's something Milford, Hunt and Kodi are all very good at. Conversely, our halves haven't got the same talent when it comes to game management.

Remembering that all these guys are young, I think there is time for both Taylor to develop a running game, and Kodi/Milf to continue to develop their game management.

The challenge now for the Broncos, is whether to back Kodi/Milf long term and hope they develop.

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
We could of easily put Hunt on the bench instead of Niko. Hunt played for Australia on the bench and could also play for Queensland as well on the bench.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
I actually think a few more games ahead of him and hunt might have had a chance at the origin bench. Now that Morgan seems to be the dead certainty for 5/8, according to some, atleast one half is going to get a chance (probably cherry Evans, but Milford's still in the running) as a utility. Not sure who else would be vying for a spot. If Morgan plays, cronk gets injured, and the utility isn't a halfback, we're cooked.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
There is no comparison between them really. Two totally different skill sets and playing styles.

Talent wise, it's open to interpretation. I feel Kodi is just as talented, but in very different aspects of his game.

One thing that Ash Taylor needs to develop more is his running game and challenging the line. It's something Milford, Hunt and Kodi are all very good at. Conversely, our halves haven't got the same talent when it comes to game management.

Remembering that all these guys are young, I think there is time for both Taylor to develop a running game, and Kodi/Milf to continue to develop their game management.

The challenge now for the Broncos, is whether to back Kodi/Milf long term and hope they develop.

For mine, this entire discussion also has to take into account the role intended for Bird which I so hope isn't centre.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
For mine, this entire discussion also has to take into account the role intended for Bird which I so hope isn't centre.

Bird/Roberts is the perfect centre combo similar to darran smith type imo

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Bird/Roberts doesn't work for you?

It takes years to develop the class that Hodges showed at centre. In any case, I'd like to see Bird as a ball playing lock, a 2nd 5/8 in attack. As I post elsewhere, having our current lock play a boring game as just another battering ram is so uncreative and a waste of space on the park.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
It takes years to develop the class that Hodges showed at centre. In any case, I'd like to see Bird as a ball playing lock, a 2nd 5/8 in attack. As I post elsewhere, having our current lock play a boring game as just another battering ram is so uncreative and a waste of space on the park.

Agreed.

It could work, but is no certainty.

Bird at centre is a certainty.

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
Bennett doesn't pay overs for backs let alone a million for 1. I think he will be playing Fb and Boyd to 5/8 or Bird at 5/8.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Why do we keep wanting to move Milford more into an organising role? He barely even makes linebreaks anymore. Miss him running into space

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.