Pangai Shopping himself around?

We have to be careful we dont offer them too big a contract when they are unproven, but at the same time we need to keep them in our system. Our biggest mistake with contracts over the last few years is the length and the player options. As risky as it might sound, i think for a while we need to look at no more than 2 year deals and only go 3 years in exceptional circumstances.
The key is to top them up before it becomes a contract year. Like we should have with Fifita.

Im taking this report with a grain of salt but if there is an element of truth it is concerning.

Had we secured fifita i would not be as fussed, but if we were to lose TPJ we would have lost 2 of our 3 main attacking threats and the 3rd's (katoni) contract is up soon.

Last edited:
The key is to top them up before it becomes a contract year. Like we should have with Fifita.
We wanted to. But he didn’t want to sign for more than 1 year. He was going to get about $7-800K next year and then get an increase for 2022. It was just interesting how the manager situation sorted itself out once he was offered a mega contract by the Titans.

We have to be careful we dont offer them too big a contract when they are unproven, but at the same time we need to keep them in our system. Our biggest mistake with contracts over the last few years is the length and the player options. As risky as it might sound, i think for a while we need to look at no more than 2 year deals and only go 3 years in exceptional circumstances.
We seem to have been doing that recently... the only recent contract I can think of beyond 3 yr is Lodge and that's because he has 2 additional years as player options.

Dearden is right in the sweet spot for a 1-2yr extension... he's set to be in our halves as of now so a bump in the paycheck is warranted, but he won't want to be locked down for a long deal.

What we don't want to do is let him run it into next year when he's starting halfback to try and lift his price, because then we have a Fifita situation on our hands... Although Titans must surely be out of money.

Get him into the office and look for a short term extension.

Same with Staggs, although he may want a bit bigger and longer contract given he's been starting for a bit longer and probably our most potent backline player. I definitely wouldn't want to be breaking the bank on him with a long contract though

True, but it doesn't answer why other teams were match fit in round 3, such as the Eels who ran us off our feet.

Because we are not a professional club. They confuse making money for professionalism.

Let him go. We could do a lot with his money, without it being tied up on the sidelines. I love him, but the signs are there that he won’t change.
TBF, he has looked more disciplined since he’s come back this year.
I know it’s not much, but baby steps are better than none.

I hope he finds a club and we can see the back of him. His best and worst are too far apart and he just doesn’t come across as the sort of player to find the consistency required of him for the next 10 years.

Some of these ***** should be on performance based contracts. We have success....you get paid. We don't and you can go EAD.
[automerge]1596758903[/automerge]
Let him go. We could do a lot with his money, without it being tied up on the sidelines. I love him, but the signs are there that he won’t change.

Agree....TPJ won't aspire to be much more than what he already is. Hit & miss......flat track bully.

Last edited:
Thanks @Foordy, so he is heading for another Fifita situation. They need to lock these kids down that have been earmarked to lead the club going forward.
Often the can't because the player wants to wait and to go to market.

I got a genius idea, we barely score points as it is, why don't we let go of the guy whos offloads are one of the only reasons we can score tries at this point.

Rock bottom isn't low enough.

Some of these ***** should be on performance based contracts. We have success....you get paid. We don't and you can go EAD.

Its a nice concept but unless every team does that it would be suicide for the Broncos. Given the choice between a guaranteed contract value and a variable contract we would lose a lot of players. It would also be nightmare cap management not knowing what your full year payout would be.

In a team sport as well, someone like Haas or Staggs would be getting punished for the team not performing.

Poor Tommy D trying to get his car loan telling the finance company he might get 500k or 150k depending on how the Broncos perform would get approval for a 320i rather than the M3 he wants.

I got a genius idea, we barely score points as it is, why don't we let go of the guy whos offloads are one of the only reasons we can score tries at this point.

Rock bottom isn't low enough.
We finally got rid of that pesky point creating Fifita, now we just need to let TPJ go and find a new home for Staggs.

Last edited:

100%

Where it gets tricky is blokes like Fifita who vocalise their commitment to the club but are stalling on signing as they want to test the market. As a club maybe it's worth having the strategy with big stars of 'sign prior to the 12mth mark or our offer is off the table'.

Of course we would have to build a culture where players actually want to stick around first though. Teams like the Roosters are so successful because they know they can run down contracts and then offer unders - players will stay for a premiership shot.

The want to play for Siebs 17 based on performances / who has been released:

1. Walsh (I hope)
2. Kennar
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Coates (I hope)
6. Croft
7. Dearden (I hope)
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Flegler
11. Glenn (c)
12. Hoppa
13. Carrigan

14. Paix
15. Kennedy
16. Teo
17. Luke

Compare to:

1. Boyd
2. Isaako
3. Roberts
4. Bird
5. Oates
6. Milford
7. T.Boyd
8. Haas
9. Macca
10. TPJ
11. Fifita
12. Su'A
13. McGuire

14. Niu
15. Bullemor
16. Joppa
17. Joffa

Which one would you prefer if you can't have a mix of both?

The want to play for Siebs 17 based on performances / who has been released:

1. Walsh (I hope)
2. Kennar
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Coates (I hope)
6. Croft
7. Dearden (I hope)
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Flegler
11. Glenn (c)
12. Hoppa
13. Carrigan

14. Paix
15. Kennedy
16. Teo
17. Luke

Compare to:

1. Boyd
2. Isaako
3. Roberts
4. Bird
5. Oates
6. Milford
7. T.Boyd
8. Haas
9. Macca
10. TPJ
11. Fifita
12. Su'A
13. McGuire

14. Niu
15. Bullemor
16. Joppa
17. Joffa

Which one would you prefer if you can't have a mix of both?

List 2 for sure. With a new coach.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Jazza
  • The Don
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ell.d33
  • Brocko
  • broncs30
  • Santa
  • Xzei
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Allo
  • ezpz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Alec
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Battler
  • RodF
  • Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Organix
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.