Panthers sack Anthony Griffin

That article is very similar to the on camera interview but far more direct.
Gould will be breaking out in boils, the journos/papers will be loving this.

Gould has not got the class to let Hook air his version without retaliation. Hook on the other hand will defer to his public comments and not enter into further debate.

So, Hook wouldn't do things Gus' way so he undermines him and goes to Ciraldo directly no doubt promising him the world if he cooperates

The best thing for the Panthers from here would be Ivan Cleary coming out, backing every word Hook said, telling the Panthers to get rooted and then signing Nathan out from under them.

Gould couldn’t survive that and as a club they would be better off. They could sign a professional coach and actually move into the modern era and let that f*ckin blow hard see out his years on Nein spewing his usual garbage.

This has quickly turned on Gould. Goes to show when you make enemies throughout a long career they will take their chances to square up when they come.

He may survive this but the shine has definitely come off.

FYI, Griffin is not telling the whole story by a country mile.

Many staff and players were not getting on with him and has been like this for nearly 2 years.

This has quickly turned on Gould. Goes to show when you make enemies throughout a long career they will take their chances to square up when they come.

He may survive this but the shine has definitely come off.

I get the feeling Gould genuinely thought "no one would dare" call him out on the way he is.

Good on Hook is all I can say. I don't want him back at the Broncos but **** yeah, HOOOK!!!!!

FYI, Griffin is not telling the whole story by a country mile.

Many staff and players were not getting on with him and has been like this for nearly 2 years.

Bahaha and how the **** would you know this?

During his time in the QCup / Broncos, heard some really good things about Griffin but also that some really didn't like his style.

But Gould / Penrith have made a right mess of this - to a bloke who's taken them from the foot of the ladder to finals, and equal fourth this year with a young squad. Deserved to finish the season at the least. Gould's line that they essentially booted Griffin because they didn't think he could handle media speculation after a Panthers' meeting with Cleary is bollocks.

Last edited:
Rugby League in this country will be much better off and will improve overnight once Phil Gould ***** off. Both from the Pamthers and his commentary.

As for Griffin, it was a great story but you need to be wary of telling tales out of school. Yeah it's 'good copy' and it gives the soap opera another storyline and the slaughterhouse has another day to keep the lights on but blokes who tell it like it is need to be mindful.

Management tend to go for guys who accept their fate quietly and not rock the boat.

Last edited:
I get the feeling Gould genuinely thought "no one would dare" call him out on the way he is.

Good on Hook is all I can say. I don't want him back at the Broncos but **** yeah, HOOOK!!!!!

The fact that he was so dignified in his exit from us gives weight to what Hook is saying. He doesn't come across even remotely like a Sticky or Jason Taylor who think they're the poor victim every time.

Footage of Hook finishing up at the Panthers

9smK7g0emieK_LTc6_Z2vfScuGyUGm2rgRENVdHXUdaTNBMT3E2hk2LRshlInugs4KW_2M3v9Mx1r7-kMy3QXpDXJRF6VYFJBjlCI6yy8XUOFUpgj2ZbhXyqHM6FG5SfOkHcDkgb3IsOok4xoK9RDe4jQoW2-GE=w400-h225-nc

Griffin to titans I bet. Another broncos and panthers discard. He's perfect for them.

Colman’s Call: As a fluent speaker of Gould, here’s what Gus means

Mike Colman, The Courier-Mail
August 8, 2018 2:10pm

GUS Gould is a man of many words. It’s just a case of working out what those words mean.

Over the past few days Gus has done plenty of talking. Some of it in private, like when he told Anthony Griffin that he was sacked. Some of it in public, like when he told the media … well, what exactly was it that he told the media?

As an interested observer of the redoubtable Mr Gould for many years — he is after all, one of the most interesting, insightful and infuriating characters in the world of rugby league — I have become fluent in Gus-speak and am therefore able to translate his recent media conference for those unfamiliar with the language.

For instance, when Gus said that Griffin was “a little old school”, wanting to be “more hands-on” and “to control everything”, what he meant was, “He wouldn’t let me run things.”

When he spoke of a review in which “the general feeling amongst the players is that Anthony didn’t have much support”, this meant: “We asked Nathan Cleary and he said he’d rather have his dad.”

His statement: “With a young group we wanted to develop further we needed a change of philosophy going forward” translates as: “Our only hope of keeping Nathan was to get Ivan.”

His answer to the question, “any chance you’ll look at Cameron Ciraldo long term?” was “well, we haven’t made a decision on who is going to coach the side next year.”

This is Gus-speak for: “Are you out of your mind?”

When he said, “we have a preferred choice at this stage but that doesn’t mean that’s who we’ll end up with” what he meant was, “The Tigers can play hard ball all they like, but whatever it costs, we’re getting Cleary.”

And his words, “I’m not too worried about winning a premiership, it’s about developing a roster that is home grown and has come to us at an early age and wants to stay with the club for a long time,” translate as “forget one premiership. If we can lock in Nathan Cleary we’ll win five.”

Then there was his heartfelt apology to Manly supporters over speculation that Trent Barrett and John Cartwright would be coming to Penrith.

“Trent Barrett and John Cartwright have signed new contracts with the Manly club. I didn’t want supporters of that club to think I was trying to pinch their coach.”

The literal translation of this is: “Who’s got time to try to pinch Manly’s coach when we’re so busy trying to pinch the Tigers’ coach?”

But perhaps Gus left the best to last. Asked whether he could work with Wayne Bennett he answered, “Wayne Bennett? That would be fun wouldn’t it? Could he work with me? Crikey.”

Which is Gus-speak for: “It probably won’t happen, but kick it around. Anything to upset the Broncos would be fun wouldn’t it?”

Note: for those interested in learning more, Penrith TAFE is planning a four-year full-time ‘Gus-speak As A Second Language’ course beginning next year.

source: Courier Mail

Colman’s Call: As a fluent speaker of Gould, here’s what Gus means

Mike Colman, The Courier-Mail
August 8, 2018 2:10pm

GUS Gould is a man of many words. It’s just a case of working out what those words mean.

Over the past few days Gus has done plenty of talking. Some of it in private, like when he told Anthony Griffin that he was sacked. Some of it in public, like when he told the media … well, what exactly was it that he told the media?

As an interested observer of the redoubtable Mr Gould for many years — he is after all, one of the most interesting, insightful and infuriating characters in the world of rugby league — I have become fluent in Gus-speak and am therefore able to translate his recent media conference for those unfamiliar with the language.

For instance, when Gus said that Griffin was “a little old school”, wanting to be “more hands-on” and “to control everything”, what he meant was, “He wouldn’t let me run things.”

When he spoke of a review in which “the general feeling amongst the players is that Anthony didn’t have much support”, this meant: “We asked Nathan Cleary and he said he’d rather have his dad.”

His statement: “With a young group we wanted to develop further we needed a change of philosophy going forward” translates as: “Our only hope of keeping Nathan was to get Ivan.”

His answer to the question, “any chance you’ll look at Cameron Ciraldo long term?” was “well, we haven’t made a decision on who is going to coach the side next year.”

This is Gus-speak for: “Are you out of your mind?”

When he said, “we have a preferred choice at this stage but that doesn’t mean that’s who we’ll end up with” what he meant was, “The Tigers can play hard ball all they like, but whatever it costs, we’re getting Cleary.”

And his words, “I’m not too worried about winning a premiership, it’s about developing a roster that is home grown and has come to us at an early age and wants to stay with the club for a long time,” translate as “forget one premiership. If we can lock in Nathan Cleary we’ll win five.”

Then there was his heartfelt apology to Manly supporters over speculation that Trent Barrett and John Cartwright would be coming to Penrith.

“Trent Barrett and John Cartwright have signed new contracts with the Manly club. I didn’t want supporters of that club to think I was trying to pinch their coach.”

The literal translation of this is: “Who’s got time to try to pinch Manly’s coach when we’re so busy trying to pinch the Tigers’ coach?”

But perhaps Gus left the best to last. Asked whether he could work with Wayne Bennett he answered, “Wayne Bennett? That would be fun wouldn’t it? Could he work with me? Crikey.”

Which is Gus-speak for: “It probably won’t happen, but kick it around. Anything to upset the Broncos would be fun wouldn’t it?”

Note: for those interested in learning more, Penrith TAFE is planning a four-year full-time ‘Gus-speak As A Second Language’ course beginning next year.

source: Courier Mail

It's ridiculous how spot on I reckon this is.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Bucking Beads
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Midean
  • NSW stables
  • scobie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Spooky1013
  • Old Mate
  • Skyblues87
  • winslow_wong
  • LittleDavey
  • Broncosgirl
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.