Parramatta Salary Cap Investigation

The Eels are facing more damaging headlines in the wake of Chris Sandow’s messy exit, with allegations that some players were receiving huge sums of money outside the salary cap.

Eddie Obeid Jnr, who is the son of disgraced former Labor powerbroker Eddie Obeid, is alleged to have played a key role in the secret payments, organising for Sandow’s estimated $550,000 salary to be topped up by as much as $200,000 a year.

Obeid Jnr has admitted to assisting the pair, and also offering real estate advice to Will Hopoate, according to Fairfax media, which claims Will Hopoate was also paid an extra $50,000 to $100,000 a year in deals not registered with the NRL and that Darcy Lussick was provided a discounted apartment.

The claims come a day after the acrimonious relationship between Eels and Sandow came to an abrupt end, with the club releasing a statement confirming the club and the player were done.

"Parramatta Eels have agreed to release Chris Sandow effective immediately, pending lodgment with the NRL," read the statement.

The announcement frees up Sandow to join UK Super League club Warrington, who have reportedly offered him a one-year $450,000 deal.

Sandow's exit from Parramatta was expected after the relationship between the player and the club deteriorated dramatically in recent weeks.

Sandow and the club were understood to be at odds over third party payments to the halfback, with club legend Peter Sterling also claiming Sandow should never play for Parramatta again after an insipid display against Canterbury last Friday night.

Controversial former Eels chairman Roy Spagnolo, who controlled the club from 2009 to 2013, is also embroiled in the latest claims. Mr Spagnolo, who was recently found to be "not a fit and proper person" to run a registered club, is alleged to have directed a number of third-party player payments, including money owed to Jarryd Hayne, into front companies he had set up for his own property development deals.

The Sydney Morning Herald says one unregistered payment to Hayne went through even after the star had left the Eels to play American football with the San Francisco 49ers.

Fairfax Media does not suggest any of the players knowingly breached the salary cap.

Eels mired in 'secret payments' scandal

Last edited:
Fucking hell, they are the worst.

Strip them of their wooden spoons, it's only fair.

oh i do love parramatta

NEVER CHANGE

Parramatta are a bigger basket case than Cronulla at this point, and Parra are actually a viable club.

The only way this can get better is if Ricky Stuart is directly implicated.

My hatred of that man transcends any other form of hatred that ever has been or ever will be known.

1437766983.jpg

Another NRL club to be exposed for cap breaches

Another NRL club will soon be exposed for salary cap breaches in the wake of the NRL beginning investigations into further alleged violations at the Parramatta Eels.

Fairfax journalist Kate McClymont - who broke news on alleged salary breaches this week at the Eels, and at the Bulldogs in 2002 – revealed that another mismanaged club will soon be revealed.

"We've got another investigation which will be surfacing in coming days into another club," McClymont told Triple M.

Pressed on any identifying details of the club, she remained tight-lipped.

League | Another NRL club to be exposed for cap breaches | SPORTAL

I put this here, seeing as it's about salary cap rorting.

Please let the club be Manly.

Given the previous CEO has completely fucked the club, I'm assuming this is his doing. Where is he?

It could be Souths.

Eddie Obeid's passion for rugby league and in particular Souths, where he was once a director, shines through with games listed in the diaries along with meetings with Souths owner Peter Holmes a Court, former Souths boss George Piggins, and first grade coaches Des Hasler and Ricky Stuart.
--- Kate McClymont, SMH, 15 March 2013

https://m.facebook.com/RebelRabbitohs/posts/631143306901966

If it is, take the Premiership off them. :laugh:

Obeid Jr is connected to Parramatta.

Apparently the other club is currently in the top 4 according to 2GB. The story will break some time tomorrow supposedly. You'd have to think Souths. Rumblings around the cows as well though to do with Talmaloooloo's contract. Just hope it isn't us.

Apparently the other club is currently in the top 4 according to 2GB. The story will break some time tomorrow supposedly. You'd have to think Souths. Rumblings around the cows as well though to do with Talmaloooloo's contract. Just hope it isn't us.

The reports are it's another mismanaged club.

We don't seem like a mismanaged club. But I guess you never know what goes on behind closed doors.

I would say it's not us.

Yeah I doubt it's us.

We had our well publicised audit last year and came out unscathed, despite some 'dodginess' regarding Gee and the Leagues Club.

My money's on the Cows too. The N(SW)RL were getting concerned with a possible all QLD grand final so they're taking the necessary steps to prevent this from happening.

PS. Yes, I am wearing a tin foil helmet on my head, why do you ask?

JT will murder someone if it's the Cowboys.

It's us or the Cowboys as it's definitely a club out of Sydney and a genuine premiership threat.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Skyblues87
  • pennywisealfie
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Foordy
  • Painin the Haas
  • MrRobot
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Lozza
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • Sproj
  • ivanhungryjak
  • NSW stables
  • Santa
  • phoenix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.