OFFICIAL Patrick Carrigan re-signs

Because it's nothing more than a rumour. So it gets moved to the rumour thread.

In fact, I would like to know where this rumour came from because no one is reporting it.
THE BRISBANE BRONCOS, amongst others

THE BRISBANE BRONCOS, amongst others

Vine Ok GIF

Can you provide the report that says Broncos are releasing him?

Here's what we know, directly from the Broncos and via Pat's agent:

1. The Broncos made a Pat an offer.
2. The Dolphins expressed interest in him.
3. Pat didn't accept the Broncos offer, apparently playing the teams against each other in a negotiation.
4. The Broncos made a public statement: they see Pat as a future leader and want to retain him.

What we don't know:

1. How much the Broncos offered Pat.
2. Whether the offer was fair value or whether he's been lowballed.
3. How much the Dolphins offered, or indeed whether money has even been mentioned.

In light of that we can't tell whether this is a Tom Dearden situation where they've privately gone cold and are dressing windows with the positive comments. After all, he's got another season yet to play. Or whether it's just a bog standard negotiation process where both parties are doing due diligence. They're not in a major hurry, and it's not unusual to go back and forth.

So it's neither a media beatup, nor something we can form an opinion about either way. Pat's a good kid and a desirable face for the club. We should try to keep him. But we can't break the bank over him. He has stiff competition in his favoured positions and many of us (including me) wonder where he'll fit into the team.

I'm sure both parties will get it right in the end.

Here's what we know, directly from the Broncos and via Pat's agent:

1. The Broncos made a Pat an offer.
2. The Dolphins expressed interest in him.
3. Pat didn't accept the Broncos offer, apparently playing the teams against each other in a negotiation.
4. The Broncos made a public statement: they see Pat as a future leader and want to retain him.

What we don't know:

1. How much the Broncos offered Pat.
2. Whether the offer was fair value or whether he's been lowballed.
3. How much the Dolphins offered, or indeed whether money has even been mentioned.

In light of that we can't tell whether this is a Tom Dearden situation where they've privately gone cold and are dressing windows with the positive comments. After all, he's got another season yet to play. Or whether it's just a bog standard negotiation process where both parties are doing due diligence. They're not in a major hurry, and it's not unusual to go back and forth.

So it's neither a media beatup, nor something we can form an opinion about either way. Pat's a good kid and a desirable face for the club. We should try to keep him. But we can't break the bank over him. He has stiff competition in his favoured positions and many of us (including me) wonder where he'll fit into the team.

I'm sure both parties will get it right in the end.

Tbh, if we dont want a player we wont go to the trouble of offering a contract to him and then come out with Statements like Ikin did.

Tbh, if we dont want a player we wont go to the trouble of offering a contract to him and then come out with Statements like Ikin did.
Do the phrases "part of our plans" and "not going anywhere" ring any bells?

Does the phrase "part of our plans" ring any bells?

We are run totally different now Donaghy and Ikin are here from all the nonsense that surrounded Dearden.

“Pat ticks so many boxes. He is one of those guys you don’t need to motivate. You don’t have to explain things twice. He gets it. He works hard, he wants to get better and he wants to be here driving a winning culture at the Broncos.

“Those are the kind of guys you want to keep around.”

You dont say things like that in public like Ikin did about a player you are willing to let go. Its all some people making a mountain out of a molehill. Its just a normal back and forth in a contract negotiation.

We are run totally different now Donaghy and Ikin are here from all the nonsense that surrounded Dearden.

“Pat ticks so many boxes. He is one of those guys you don’t need to motivate. You don’t have to explain things twice. He gets it. He works hard, he wants to get better and he wants to be here driving a winning culture at the Broncos.

“Those are the kind of guys you want to keep around.”

You dont say things like that in public like Ikin did about a player you are willing to let go. Its all some people making a mountain out of a molehill. Its just a normal back and forth in a contract negotiation.
Yeah, November 1 is next week. Why would he commit to a contract now when he can wait a week and see if the Dolphins can help get him an extra year or $50k before he re-signs. No brainer from a player manager perspective.

Yeah, November 1 is next week. Why would he commit to a contract now when he can wait a week and see if the Dolphins can help get him an extra year or $50k before he re-signs. No brainer from a player manager perspective.
Agree with the idea but he'd already know if that is possible.

Walsh ? Dearden ? Fifita ? etc... and now Carrigan, who doesn't have a place in the squad.

I'd be offering Pat 350k with some sort of deal that he gets bumped up if he plays 3 origin games.
He's 23 if we're throwing 450 at him now on a 3 year deal by 26 with possibly origin under his belt what's he asking for?
Capewell is 28 on roughly 450k he's played 2 origin series and has won a premiership, Capewell and Haas are the only forwards in our current squad that have proved their worth and that's the bar we should set.
I don't want to loose Pat but I don't think hes worth more than 350 at this point in his career.

I'd be offering Pat 350k with some sort of deal that he gets bumped up if he plays 3 origin games.

might as well just bump his deal from the get go then ... because the only thing stopping him playing for QLD in 2022 is injury

might as well just bump his deal from the get go then ... because the only thing stopping him playing for QLD in 2022 is injury
And playing reserve grade standard coming back from a ACL.. If he gets in and kills it in 22 and plays all 3 origins and hasn't signed yet yeah reconsider the price but right now I wouldn't go much over 350k with a bonus if he plays origin.
The club could take a gamble and go a bigger contract right away because he will be a rep player in the future, possible future captain and a professional off the field but he could also do his ACL again round 2 next year also.

And playing reserve grade standard coming back from a ACL.. If he gets in and kills it in 22 and plays all 3 origins and hasn't signed yet yeah reconsider the price but right now I wouldn't go much over 350k with a bonus if he plays origin.
The club could take a gamble and go a bigger contract right away because he will be a rep player in the future, possible future captain and a professional off the field but he could also do his ACL again round 2 next year also.
So could Kotoni tbf but they still overpayed for him. I still don't think money is the big issue for Patty, I think it's the 2 year deal.

So could Kotoni tbf but they still overpayed for him. I still don't think money is the big issue for Patty, I think it's the 2 year deal.
Yeah I do think they overpaid Kotoni for what he has achieved and his trouble off the field but in his case how many other centres in the comp can do what he can, in Carrigans case its alot easier to find a like for like replacement.

Pat seems like he would be a loyal guy and I don't think he will be going anywhere. Coming from Easts Tigers and pretty sure he played for wynnum aswell he could absolutely hate The dolphins

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.