NEWS Payne Haas retracts immediate release from Broncos then

Performance clauses are not uncommon in the NRL, they happen more than people think.

But to say the issue is around performance? I don't buy it. He wants the money.
I imagine there are bonuses for making finals, origin etc.

Are there any players that have a clause saying they can just leave if the team goes poorly? That would be such a weak deal to sign as a club.

How would you rather spend $1.2 million?

1. Payne Haas

2. Damien Cook ($700k) + Victor Radley ($500k)
In fantasy land I'd take that trade but cook is on 900k minimum and Radley would never be signed for 500k. he's a 650k player every day of the week.

More likely Haas on 900k or Manu on 1m, I'd take Manu for fullback. Or get RTS back from union and give him 1m.

Or even a direct swap with Cook bevause good 9s are probably the rarest commodity after halfbacks.

In fantasy land I'd take that trade but cook is on 900k minimum and Radley would never be signed for 500k. he's a 650k player every day of the week.

More likely Haas on 900k or Manu on 1m, I'd take Manu for fullback. Or get RTS back from union and give him 1m.

Or even a direct swap with Cook bevause good 9s are probably the rarest commodity after halfbacks.
I got the numbers from here, unless you can come up with a better source:

Gotta love the standard Weidler defence piece as commanded by Khoder Nasser.

What an insane request. He wants 1.2m, but also the ability to just walk out if the team doesn't make top 4. Guess what buddy, the team won't make top 4 if they're paying you such a high salary.
Weidler even looks like a scumbag. You don’t even have to listen to him to know he wouldn’t be a good bloke.

This is done and the Broncos have worked too hard for Haas and his team to drag us down with this bullshit.

If I were the Broncos, 9am Monday morning I would be releasing a statement saying “The Brisbane Broncos have today formally ended discussion with Haas’ management team. We look forward to Payne fulfilling his current contracted period with the club and will wish him well for his future past 2024”. I would then be following this up with an email to his management confirming no release will be forth coming and his appearances in first grade for the rest of this contract will be based on his performance”

If anything good happens out of all this, i seriously hope it is a major crackdown on these player agents.
It won’t be, it would need to happen to the Roosters or Storm or a team the NRL gives a **** about

I got the numbers from here, unless you can come up with a better source:

He's the Australian 9, there would be multiple clubs that'd offer him 900k without hesitation.

650k.

Joe Ofa is on 500k, a good forward like Radley would never be on 500k, that's what Jack Bird gets when he's turned to shit.

I imagine there are bonuses for making finals, origin etc.

Are there any players that have a clause saying they can just leave if the team goes poorly? That would be such a weak deal to sign as a club.
Ponga supposedly had clauses like that... which would mean having Haas and his management is on par to dealing with a prima donna like Andre.

To me that is a way too hard basket for a workhorse prop

Well I don't mean literally these two. But this should give you an idea of how far $1.2 million goes. It buys you an elite playmaking 9 and an Origin contender lock.

We already have enough props without Payne, and a couple more on their way up in the lower grades. We really don't need him. And if we were to keep him, he's worth $700k and that's being generous.

The only positions we're weak in today is 9 and 6/7. We need elite experience there for 1-2 seasons.

1. Te Maire - good enough. And if not, Selwyn looms.
2. Corey - elite. Good for at least another season.
3. Kotoni - elite.
4. Herbie - solid. Good for another season at least. Deine Mariner awaits.
5. Selwyn - elite. If he takes fullback, we have options. See above.
6. Tyson - decent stopgap. Ezra by season end, which will add pressure to Adam, but so be it.
7. Adam - elite, but aging. Could become a problem if we don't have a game managing 6/7 to partner Ezra. Tyson is good enough to cover injury, but not replace him.
13. Patty - borderline elite.
9. Cory/Billy/Jake - serviceable only. We only need one of them, and we only need them as depth.
8, 10, 11, 12 - embarrassment of riches under Kurt Capewell's leadership. Least of our problems. At least one is elite, and at least another is borderline elite. Jordan and TC need to lift, which they will.
14 - the sooner Blake Mozer can fill in for 10-15 minutes, the sooner we move towards our premiership.

Kevvie's done the right thing by his son. He's proven he's up to NRL standard. He can honestly share the credit for helping lift the team from wooden spooners to top 4. But he's served his role, padded his resume, and it's time to move on. He needs to get on the phone to the Catalans and pulls some strings.

Paix was the hooker we needed, but he's not the hooker we need, and even if we get the hooker we need none of our 9/14's can bring the energy we want off the bench. We'd be better off with Granville, who is a genuine nuisance in that role. Mozer should be on the bench learning the ropes, if nothing else. He will be our 9.

We only need one of Albert/Tyson. Tyson has won that one. If he wants to stay on a depth player's wage, we should keep him around.
Our team is fine the way it is. No need to change anything for a few years :)

Ponga supposedly had clauses like that... which would mean having Haas and his management is on par to dealing with a prima donna like Andre.

To me that is a way too hard basket for a workhorse prop
Yeah absolutely no player is worth attention seeking **** managers.

Tell him he's not getting a release and we won't discuss an extension with his new management.

Yeah absolutely no player is worth attention seeking **** managers.

Tell him he's not getting a release and we won't discuss an extension with his new management.

I think thats the way to go now. Payne and his management are being complete idiots over this contract. Dont even negotiate now. He can play under his current deal and leave when its done. If they want to get reasonable over things let them send us a proposal and if its not ridiculous we will talk.

There’s no loyalty and passion for the game anymore. Unfortunately with young kids these days along with their Managers “ GREED” is bigger than the game. Is 750k - 800k really not enough? I would like to put this question to Haas “ if another religion offered you $1 million a year for five years to move away from being Muslim would you? You may reply that’s different but money is the light in your eyes not faith. Any way there’s a real depth of talent of forwards on the reserves list that are capable. Once Haas leaves he will never be the same player he is today.

Is this guy really worth all the hassle? I mean really, deep down, is he really fucking worth it? We are aware of who his management team is which is a big reflection of Payne's character. We were already aware that he is a bit of a dickhead.

Shit sticks together and it really fucking stinks and it's a stench the club doesn't need around atm considering that they are getting back on their feet.

No doubt, a great player but I can't help but think that the club would be better off ridding themselves of Payne and his "stink" crew. His constant distractions are not healthy for this club.

**** off, Payne.

Top 6 clause isn’t too bad and let’s be honest we never used to miss the Finals so shouldn’t be a problem for us

Top 4 clause? Maybe if Payne is the best player award winner in the same year and statistically is the best prop worldwide

but again if he goes I expect to see these clauses in his new alternative contract for $1.2M

Posted on the Kennel.

Take no notice that the poster is a Jewish man.

I have heard that the reason he wants out of the Donkeys is the third parties, reportedly worth $250k, cancelled the TPA’s due to his bad rep. Pretty reliable source too.

He wanted the Donkeys to stand up for him and get the TPA’s reinstated. He is really pissed that they didn’t. That’s from a different source.

Arm's length TPA were $1.5 million across the comp so I find it very hard to believe Haas has 250k.

I don't think Haas is the one who is unhappy with his current deal, at least, he's not the one agitating for it.

Someone else pointed out that the new management get zero commission from his current deal, and if he plays out his contract, will continue to get zero until the next contract. is signed His managers are the ones that want a new deal signed, through them, so they can start making some cash themselves. Hence why they are trying to convince him that the current contract is not good for him because he's being paid too little, doesn't have enough clauses / guarantees, insert various excuses here. I'm sure they would be happy for the contract to be torn up and be written up exactly the same as it is now, but with their name on it, just so they get their cut, but that would give up their game and would show that they are only in on it for themselves, none of this loyalty, "do what's best for the player" bullshit.

Edit: Also, I wouldn't have thought it would be Haas himself emailing the club for the release, it would definitely be his management. Not giving him an easy out here but it's entirely possible he didn't even know the exact timing of what their plans are, hence why he didn't tell his teammates that arvo etc.

I don't think Haas is the one who is unhappy with his current deal, at least, he's not the one agitating for it.

Someone else pointed out that the new management get zero commission from his current deal, and if he plays out his contract, will continue to get zero until the next contract. is signed His managers are the ones that want a new deal signed, through them, so they can start making some cash themselves. Hence why they are trying to convince him that the current contract is not good for him because he's being paid too little, doesn't have enough clauses / guarantees, insert various excuses here. I'm sure they would be happy for the contract to be torn up and be written up exactly the same as it is now, but with their name on it, just so they get their cut, but that would give up their game and would show that they are only in on it for themselves, none of this loyalty, "do what's best for the player" bullshit.

Edit: Also, I wouldn't have thought it would be Haas himself emailing the club for the release, it would definitely be his management. Not giving him an easy out here but it's entirely possible he didn't even know the exact timing of what their plans are, hence why he didn't tell his teammates that arvo etc.
I think all we do know for a fact IS that Payne is unhappy. What we don't know is why. We've heard various stories from various people and not a real lot from Payne himself. Hard truth is no matter what a dick his manager is he can't act on Payne's behalf without his go ahead, and if Payne didn't want to walk away from his contract, he would've made that clear quick smart. Instead, he played shy, and hid behind his agent's skirt.

If this business about a performance clause is true, and it's been chucked in recently (this bit is crucial), then he's throwing shade on the entire club from the coaching staff right across the roster. If he can't take heart from the club's turnaround in the last 6 weeks, then **** him. Really **** him. That's not a team player. And that's more than just asking for a pay rise. That's saying the club needs to perform for him. Not the other way around. This is literally saying HE is bigger than the club, and all his team mates. It's all about him, and what they can do for him.

This isn't the Payne we've been sold.

Active Now

• DrGee
  • marw
  • BroncoFan94
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • Culhwch
  • FACTHUNT
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Santa
  • Inknition
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Jazza
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
  • broncos4life
  • jd87
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 74 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.