PLAYER Payne Haas

Source: Rugby League Writers

giphy.gif

Haas’ quick carry and pass ties up three players in the middle of the field to start. As Adam Reynolds sweeps behind the block, Jordan Riki drops back underneath to hold up Luca Moretti (14). With Reynolds engaging Dylan Brown (6) as Kotoni Staggs his Daejarn Asi’s inside shoulder, the space is created for Reece Walsh to whip around the edge.

Only posting a short snippet as those guys are great and deserve the click.
Brilliant... The work from Reynolds has Brown and Asi in complete shambles

Not for one minute am I lumping Payne Haas in with his brother but would there ever have been a more contrasting pair of headlines on the one day in regards to a sportsperson's family in the history of, well, ever ?
IMG 6442

IMG 6443

Well this Haas drama came to a rather sudden and quick end didn't it, I must admit I was totally expecting it to drag on until Nov 1 and then for him to sign with the Roosters due the pressure of the knobs like Mundine and SBW.

It does feel a bit like the Broncos wilted and ended a standoff by just saying 'fark it' then stumping up the extra to reach $1.2mil a year, possibly on the back of Tino leaving the market at that price.

It certainly is positive news to keep him at the club tho and means we can now take on the finals without the distraction, but I still somewhat feel we overpaid, which could hurts us, I'm hoping losing Herbie and Flegler is enough.

Well this Haas drama came to a rather sudden and quick end didn't it, I must admit I was totally expecting it to drag on until Nov 1 and then for him to sign with the Roosters due the pressure of the knobs like Mundine and SBW.

It does feel a bit like the Broncos wilted and ended a standoff by just saying 'fark it' then stumping up the extra to reach $1.2mil a year, possibly on the back of Tino leaving the market at that price.

It certainly is positive news to keep him at the club tho and means we can now take on the finals without the distraction, but I still somewhat feel we overpaid, which could hurts us, I'm hoping losing Herbie and Flegler is enough.
I suspect Donuts is going for the strategy of mid-teir players, taking unders to play with the absolute best. Worked for Melbourne (when they weren't cheating the cap). Keep Patty, Haas, Walsh, ARey and Mam and build a solid supporting act around them. ARey's successor will be the real pain underpinning the success of this plan though.

I suspect Donuts is going for the strategy of mid-teir players, taking unders to play with the absolute best. Worked for Melbourne (when they weren't cheating the cap). Keep Patty, Haas, Walsh, ARey and Mam and build a solid supporting act around them. ARey's successor will be the real pain underpinning the success of this plan though.
Suspect Arey will extend another 1-2 years beyond the initial three years given how we're going which'll allow the time to get someone ready. Moving Walsh to 6 isnt and cannot be "the plan"

Suspect Arey will extend another 1-2 years beyond the initial three years given how we're going which'll allow the time to get someone ready. Moving Walsh to 6 isnt and cannot be "the plan"
Totally! Watching ARey in the press conference after the Eels game, he looked fitter than he has for a while, he's charging through in support for tries more than last year. There's no reason he can't play on another 3 or even 4 years unless he has a major injury.

Official enough for me. Quote from his agent.

Mehri says figures agreed with the Broncos were "private and confidential" but added there were other suitors who had put forward lucrative offers:
"Payne is delighted. This is his celebratory moment. Payne has knocked back a $2 million-per-season deal to stay at Brisbane. The offer was emailed to me. I showed it to Payne and he knocked it back. Brisbane have just been great to deal with. CEO Dave Donaghy has ensured the process has been smooth and what transpired the last couple of weeks has got it over the line."​
"I was always hopeful of Payne staying at Brisbane. It was always going to be the best thing for him. It is what we all wanted."​

Official enough for me. Quote from his agent.

Mehri says figures agreed with the Broncos were "private and confidential" but added there were other suitors who had put forward lucrative offers:
"Payne is delighted. This is his celebratory moment. Payne has knocked back a $2 million-per-season deal to stay at Brisbane. The offer was emailed to me. I showed it to Payne and he knocked it back. Brisbane have just been great to deal with. CEO Dave Donaghy has ensured the process has been smooth and what transpired the last couple of weeks has got it over the line."​
"I was always hopeful of Payne staying at Brisbane. It was always going to be the best thing for him. It is what we all wanted."​

Yep that’s official enough for me too.

End 2026 or end 2027?
I haven't seen any suggest it's 2026. All reports so far say the existing contract, which has another year to go, has been replaced by a three year contract that comes with a clause pegging it to any future cap inflation. The rumour suggests the payment is end loaded.

Mehri hasn't corrected the press reports so it's a reasonable bet they're correct. But, we have had a couple of last minute surprises when the details came to light recently: Palasia and Oates, for example.

On the Dogs forum, some are linking his signing to TPJ leaving & his brother being arrested. 🙄

I let them know the truth, that he re-signed a few days after the Eels game. 😂

They now want Cobbo & Walsh, so now I have to come up with some story. Will have to weave Mam's & Willison's name in there as well.

X is carving up for the Broncos - therefore - 16 clubs want to sign them.... gets a bit tiring.

Do they know that dual premiership winning players Dylan Edwards and Luai are off contract next year?

Same with Joey Manu, Lord Gamble, Clifford, Townsend, etc etc.... Why is it always our fucking players.

X is carving up for the Broncos - therefore - 16 clubs want to sign them.... gets a bit tiring.

Do they know that dual premiership winning players Dylan Edwards and Luai are off contract next year?

Same with Joey Manu, Lord Gamble, Clifford, Townsend, etc etc.... Why is it always our fucking players.
pretty sure its just because we are still both the most hated and loved club in the game . we have a massive following and those who dont like us hate us so any broncos news will always get clicks and eye balls on tv.

Its just how journalism is.

Unread

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • thenry
  • Skathen
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.