PLAYER Payne Haas

All I'm proposing is that Payne keep quiet about his lunatic mother and drug dealer brother in the media.

Have a little respect for those possibly still grieving?

I would have thought that's the least he could do for his mother's victims.
He didn’t mention them..?

He didn’t mention them..?

Payne Haas says a Broncos grand final victory will help lift the spirits of his family, including his mother and younger brother who are facing manslaughter and drug supply and trafficking offences.

"I understand my family, my Mum in particular, has acted in a way that is indefensible, and people have lost their lives because of it. Me being a footballer is not going to help that. But I am working hard to show people that there is a different path for me, and to show that there is a different path for other people out there who grew up with hardship and difficult circumstances. I'm hoping that the good that I can do in the community can make a positive difference. It will never change what happened, and even though I wish things were different, we can't change anything now. But hopefully I can even be an inspiration to my own family, to those that have chosen to do the wrong thing in the past. I still love them, they are my family, so obviously it would be a massive thing for me to be able to help them turn their lives around too and become positive influences in society".

I don't know, something like that would be nice? He may not be officially condoning their actions, but by not speaking out against those actions can kind of feel like the same thing.

"I understand my family, my Mum in particular, has acted in a way that is indefensible, and people have lost their lives because of it. Me being a footballer is not going to help that. But I am working hard to show people that there is a different path for me, and to show that there is a different path for other people out there who grew up with hardship and difficult circumstances. I'm hoping that the good that I can do in the community can make a positive difference. It will never change what happened, and even though I wish things were different, we can't change anything now. But hopefully I can even be an inspiration to my own family, to those that have chosen to do the wrong thing in the past. I still love them, they are my family, so obviously it would be a massive thing for me to be able to help them turn their lives around too and become positive influences in society".

I don't know, something like that would be nice? He may not be officially condoning their actions, but by not speaking out against those actions can kind of feel like the same thing.
Different article or extended? It wasn’t the one I read early this morning in the paper.

Edit: Oh… I get it.

Those are really nice words. He has won back so many fans this year, good on him.

The best thing would be just not to say anything, however with the media responsibilities its probably not possible. The media is the real villain, just like they usually are. They fish for the quotes that suits their article, and Haas probably handled it much better than it could have been.

Those are really nice words. He has won back so many fans this year, good on him.

To clarify, the above are my words, what I would have hoped he would have said in order to put it all to bed.

To clarify, the above are my words, what I would have hoped he would have said in order to put it all to bed.
not alot to put to bed is there? doesnt mention his mother from what i saw was more talking about being a better role model for his younger brothers?

not alot to put to bed is there? doesnt mention his mother from what i saw was more talking about being a better role model for his younger brothers?

The entire situation is what needs to be put to bed, so that when he is asked these things, we don't have to cringe at the thought of him wanting to cheer his mum up.

The entire situation is what needs to be put to bed, so that when he is asked these things, we don't have to cringe at the thought of him wanting to cheer his mum up.
So, the complaints (by two members) were about him mentioning his family, but your complaint is that he needs to mention them and go into much more detail, almost take responsibility for their actions..?

So, the complaints (by two members) were about him mentioning his family, but your complaint is that he needs to mention them and go into much more detail, almost take responsibility for their actions..?

No, that's not what I'm saying. He should have publicly condemned their actions a long time ago, so that any show of support he displays for them now can be palatable. Until he does, it can be seen as him siding with them (and therefore their actions) at the expense of their victims.

It's not his fault the vulture media keep hunting for an outrage story, but it's his fault he hasn't put it to bed to avoid it coming up every time someone mentions his family

No, that's not what I'm saying. He should have publicly condemned their actions a long time ago, so that any show of support he displays for them now can be palatable. Until he does, it can be seen as him siding with them (and therefore their actions) at the expense of their victims.

It's not his fault the vulture media keep hunting for an outrage story, but it's his fault he hasn't put it to bed to avoid it coming up every time someone mentions his family
Family should more or less be a taboo subject when interviewing or writing about athletes, especially considering the circumstances. willing to wager more people know and refer to her as “Payne haas’ mum” than Joan Taufua. Kinda unfair. It reminds me of the time whatsitsname johnathan Thurston s uncle was murdered.

Haas hopes to show his family that working hard makes you a better person and brings success.

How dare he!

Nice article about Payne this morning talking about the memory of his brother and how his daughter helped him through that grief. A little blurb from the journo at the end about his mum but nothing from Payne about her.

The impact of the death of his brother shouldn’t be undersold

Payne:

Fatherhood has changed my outlook on life. I find it hard even being away from Lalita for things like State of Origin. It’s a different kind of life for me now. She melts my heart, when I’m with her, I’m a bit soft really. People say it gets easier but it hasn’t really gotten easier losing Chace, to be honest. I have a daughter now and I wish she got to meet Chace. Lalita has made me a better person. She watches me and looks up to me. I am trying to pave the way for her and my family and all I want now is to be a good role model."​
“I want to play well for the Broncos so my girls, including partner Leilani, never have to work a day in their life. I would love to win the grand final for them.”​
“I can’t sit here and say I’ve taken any inspiration from my mum. I don’t ask mum to uplift me. She is in the slammer at the moment, so I don’t need to tell her I’m going through anything at the moment. She is fighting her own battles. I don’t get to talk to her too much. We have a few phone calls but when we do chat, she tells me she loves me and that’s about it. It’s not easy to deal with, but my life has been drama-filled all my life so I am pretty used to it. Everyone goes through some adversity. The important thing was I had to keep my mind straight to do my job for the Broncos and my partner and daughter have helped me with that.”​

Agent Ahmad Merhi:

“What a lot of people don’t know is that Payne is an avid reader of books. He is a great memoriser of books and details. I met Ben Ikin last year and he recalls giving books out to the Broncos players and asking them to recall titles and sections from the relevant book and what they learnt from the readings. Ben told me Payne answered every question, every week.”​
“Payne feels the greatest legacy he can leave behind is the man he is for his daughter. I deal with a lot of footballers and Payne has gone through an incredible journey of dedication. He is in bed by 9.30pm every night and he is an early starter. Drinking is prohibited for Muslims, so Payne hasn’t drunk in a long time. He has his off-field issues, but his faith has given him strength and it’s a beautiful synergy to see Payne and his daughter and the family man that he is. His daughter’s presence in his life has grounded him. She has taught him humility. She inspires him and it keeps pushing him to the limits on and off the field."​
“Everything he does is with the girls. Every time I call him he is with Lani, his partner, and Lalita. He’ll have a few hours with the boys on the golf course, then it’s straight back to his family and his devotion to faith and football. The Broncos have been wonderful for Payne and he has been wonderful for them. It’s been a great partnership. Payne knows records are broken in sport, but the love and bond between a father and his daughter is something that lasts a lifetime.”​

Active Now

• marw
  • Mighty Bronx
  • broncsgoat
  • Browny
  • LGH
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.