Phil Gould must be sacked by Channel 9

Discussion in 'State of Origin 2014' started by animal eater, Jun 19, 2014.

1. jarro65

jarro65 State of Origin Rep

Re: Phil Guild must be sacked by Channel 9

I normally don't have to volume turned up when Origin is on, but for some strange reason i decided to give it a listen last night.

Totally disappointing !

animal eater likes this.
  2. Re: Phil Guild must be sacked by Channel 9

The NBA/Espn is just as corrupt as the NRL/Channel 9, they've virtually rigged 3 of the last 4 draft lotteries to try and generate a rivalry between the Cleveland Cavaliers (Lebron's old team) and the Miami Heat (Lebron's new team)

2011 Draft - Cavaliers chances of getting the Number 1 pick ~ 19.9% - They got it
    2013 Draft - Cavaliers chances of getting the Number 1 pick ~ 15.6% - They got it
    2014 Draft - Cavaliers chances of getting the Number 1 pick ~ 1.7% - They got it

Corruption in sport is real, whether you like it or not.

3. animal eater

animal eater QCup Player

Hell the Cavs are so bad they need all the luck/help they need. :laugh:

Not really a surprise that a former NSW coach is biased towards his filithy blues.

No one likes him in Queensland and he knows it. It just make the last 8 series win all the more sweeter.

4. vertigo

vertigo NRL Captain

This thread is embarrassing.

What did you expect? They haven't won in ages, their desperation was telling and I can excuse that.

Nashy likes this.
  5. Re: Phil Guild must be sacked by Channel 9

Isn't helped by the fact that Fittler's retardedness is balanced by Wally's. Seriously never heard either of them string together a sentence that had any insight.

6. Broncoman

Broncoman State of Origin Rep

The reason behind Super League was pay television. Foxtel was launched in 1995 and news really wanted the rights to Rugby League and who can blame them, the other pay tv holder Optus got the rights and news got pissed and wanted to start their own competition to bring in subscribers to Foxtel.

Their intention of expanding the game into new markets was true to some extent but in my eyes the Super League war was a battle over Pay Tv Rights for Rugby League in Australia.

7. Re: Phil Guild must be sacked by Channel 9

This. No different to Fatty's "OH YEAAAAH!"

8. animal eater

animal eater QCup Player

Amazing how people want to fop it all off saying what do you expect, it's the same as Fatty, etc. Totally not the point at all. The point is if this game is to grow successfully, all of this bullshit amateurism needs to go.

Sproj likes this.
  9. Re: Phil Guild must be sacked by Channel 9

Amazing how people don't seem to realise that when it comes to opinions, people differ in their feeling towards things. I actually find the suggestion that it is holding our game back is ridiculous. But each to their own.

Mr Fourex likes this.
  10. Re: Phil Guild must be sacked by Channel 9

Yeah....who gives two fucks about the commentators.

David Smith and his band of PC sycophants is hurting the game more than channel nein are.

LittleDavey83, CaptainHook and Nashy like this.
  11. Socnorb

Socnorb

Who the **** is Phil Guild anyway?

12. Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads International Captain

hahah

13. subsbligh

subsbligh NRL Captain

Rugby League is a business that makes money through its customers - its audience - who experience it through media. Sponsors and advertising pay a lot of money to align with that audience.

You marginalise an audience (read: millions of exisiting rugby league fans in Qld and new fans coming to the game) by offending them or portraying your one-sided-ness and turning them off your product.

Personally, I've gotten over Gus and Rabs' bias. Beating the Dragons is oh so much sweeter when Rabs pretty much goes silent when the game is out of reach.

It hurts sometimes that some Qld players are overlooked or their feats considered less ordinary by NSW media and powers that be (e.g. Andrew Johns > Darren Lockyer for immortal status) due to this bias.

CaptainHook and animal eater like this.
  14. Alec

Alec International Rep

I like seeing passion from the commentators. You're either on their side or you're not, so it fires you up either way.

KingWebcke and Mr Fourex like this.
  15. Re: Phil Guild must be sacked by Channel 9

Agree ...I like Sterlo (idolised him as a kid actually), but the way he was shutting down any discussion about the Thaiday no-try made me want to punch him in the face.

16. KingWebcke

KingWebcke QCup Player

a commentator doesn't have to be objective. its the ABC that has it written into their guidelines to be even handed and tell both sides of the story. Everyone else can pretty much do what they want, especially sports commentators. they are in the entertainment industry. their job is to be controversial and memorable otherwise they'd be out of a job pretty quickly.

Gus irritates me so much but if he wants to be a biased moron he is allowed to. I just ignore him/put the TV on mute when he becomes unbearable.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  17. animal eater

animal eater QCup Player

Just because it can and does happen doesn't mean it should. I think the precedent in this country is too call games with one eye and with an agenda. It can and should be so much better.

18. Re: Phil Guild must be sacked by Channel 9

In your opinion. You're very much posting like your opinion is fact. It's not.

19. animal eater

animal eater QCup Player

Well who else's opinion and I supposed to have? Certainly not yours. By your account, I am sure you will be more than happy to see things stay exactly like they are. So what. That's life.