Phil Gould must be sacked by Channel 9

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
First off congrats to NSW. Could of gone either way and we could of been the recipient of a couple of calls, but bottom line is we didn't score a try. That's not what irks me. Last nights commentary (and I know it isn't much different than any other origin game) was disgraceful. I am a transplant from the US and have traveled a bit and have NEVER EVER in my 45 years heard any more one sided commentary period. It was painful enough to see the boys digging deep and coming up short but to have to listen to the one sided rot is more than I can take.

If channel 9 has any respect whatsoever than they will at minimum bar him from being in the box game 3. Everything was we this, we that. So Phil, where is the professionalism in that? Yes, Rabbits and even Sterling are clearly backing NSW but they temper it a bit where as Guild is just absurdly over the top.

Last edited:
Re: Phil Guild must be sacked by Channel 9

It goes deeper than that.

Channel 9 control what the video referees see on the fly.

Channel 9 had a huge financial interest in the Blues winning that game. Ratings are down, the return on the $4Bn TV rights deal and its jewel - State of Origin - diminishing in value in NSW.

The NSW government, who paid probably hundreds of thousands of dollars for a fireworks display.

In a game like that won on a single marginal effort, Channel 9's selective coverage gave the Blues a decided advantage (and I'm talking specifically about Aaron Woods putting the ball dead in goal off the kick off, but there were countless others).

Last edited:

All of Neins commentators are terribly biased, even the QLD ones.

It's just that Gould is more outspoken than the rest .... and don't get me started on Joey the pill popper !!

First off congrats to NSW. Could of gone either way and we could of been the recipient of a couple of calls, but bottom line is we didn't score a try. That's not what irks me. Last nights commentary (and I know it isn't much different than any other origin game) was disgraceful. I am a transplant from the US and have traveled a bit and have NEVER EVER in my 45 years heard any more one sided commentary period. It was painful enough to see the boys digging deep and coming up short but to have to listen to the one sided rot is more than I can take.

If channel 9 has any respect whatsoever than they will at minimum bar him from being in the box game 3. Everything was we this, we that. So Phil, where is the professionalism in that? Yes, Rabbits and even Sterling are clearly backing NSW but they temper it a bit where as Guild is just absurdly over the top.

Is this a petition? Where do I sign?

I couldn't believe Sterlo last night.

DCE gets clothes lined by Reynolds and he called it a legitimate tackle after replays clearly show contact being made with the head.

It's Channel home of the tard, FFS they gave Beau Ryan a job

I thought he was fine. He didn't let him impair what he was commentating, he still called the game as I saw it.

As for any video ref bias, the video ref requests what footage he wants to see, not channel nine.

I thought he was fine. He didn't let him impair what he was commentating, he still called the game as I saw it.

As for any video ref bias, the video ref requests what footage he wants to see, not channel nine.

see Nashy, therein lies the problem. It doesn't matter how you or I see the game. The point is ANY professional commentator is meant to give an objective and not totally biased representation of the game. That is 101 journalism. Again, I have never seen any more bias in any game and I think I have seen about 10,000 games in my life. Despite that he knows the game well, he needs to be given a time out and remember that not every viewer sits on one side of the fence.

Gould was actually fine by his standards. Sure, he coached NSW on a few occasions last night but that was the story heading into the game.

The problem was, nobody really told it from a Queensland POV. It was a brave performance, one of the bravest in our history but not a peep about it.

Gould was actually fine by his standards. Sure, he coached NSW on a few occasions last night but that was the story heading into the game.

The problem was, nobody really told it from a Queensland POV. It was a brave performance, one of the bravest in our history but not a peep about it.

I see where your coming from Big Pete, but honestly that isn't good enough. I was spoiled and grew up listening to a guy called Vin Scully calling Dodger baseball games. He is now in his mid eighties, still calling 5 games a week and is without question the greatest caller of any game I have ever heard and even non LA fans would agree. The guy paints a picture like no other and in the 40 plus years of listening to him I have not once EVER heard him be biased. Phil needs to be shoved in a room and made to listen to Vin for a month straight before being allowed anywhere near a booth.

And yes, I do understand that Vin Scully is the play by play man while Phil is a color commentator but still...

Last edited:

All good mate, I just don't think Rugby League has the same luxury of a Vin Scully and never have tbh despite Sterlo's best efforts to be diplomatic.

There have been times where Gould has been too bias and I don't think he should be apart of the main call either but his performance last night was fine. Mind you, I was expecting him to start totally shitting on 8 years and trying to claim it as the greatest victories of all time blah blah blah.

Last edited:

This thread is a bit of a joke. Who says commentators need to be unbiased? Have you ever heard Australian commentators during the World Cup or Olympics?

I think the bias makes the game more entertaining, though I do think it's only fair to have someone equally bias towards QLD. Wally is easily worse than Phil.

As for the video ref conspiracy, that is the nuttiest things I've heard.

Id like to see tallis more involved. He's about the best we've got but I'm guessing he can't because of fox commitments

This thread is a bit of a joke. Who says commentators need to be unbiased? Have you ever heard Australian commentators during the World Cup or Olympics?

I think the bias makes the game more entertaining, though I do think it's only fair to have someone equally bias towards QLD. Wally is easily worse than Phil.

First off, I never said anything about the ref conspiracy but just because there is bias in other sports doesn't make any better. If Australian sport and in this case Rugby League wants to go to the next level, then they have to look at commentary as well. Just because we have gotten used to it, doesn't make it acceptable.

Bias, couldn't care less. Gould's an idiot but his hyperbole goes both ways. His story telling is -> see that play there, I had a team once in the 80s (most likely a lie) and......that is exactly what I coached them to do... therefore I am somehow the doyen of Rugby League, I'm awesome, listen to me.

Channel 9 coverage actually impacting the game:

1. Inglis line break first half, swinging arm connects to face in tackle. No replay of incident despite break in play.
2. Tate catches a bomb first half and almost scores. Ball looked like it came off Topou in the jump. No replay.
3. Matt Scott gets kneed in the face and (I believe this morning) broken cheek bone. No replay.
4. Gallen drops the ball. 3 slow mo replays.
5. Reynolds being a **** all night - no replays.
6. Bird gets held up over the line, literally just lets go of the ball into Thaiday's arms, no video ref, strip penalty.
7. Thaiday's no try. On field ref ruling, no try obstruction, you kidding me? ... when at best it was an on field ref "TRY", then check obstruction (which was ultimately irrelevant because of the Hayne of God as they're calling it). No doubt the incorrect NO TRY ruling on field (for an irrelevant issue) weighed against Qld when ultimately deciding on the Thaiday juggle/two in the tackle strip.
8. Aaron Woods taking the ball dead. The correct call is made there and we would have sunk the Blues. That was a coach killer and heartbreaker if the correct call is actually made.
9. Jarryd Hayne's circle jerk with Fitler for the last 15 minutes of the lead up.
10. Jarryd Hayne's quick play the ball penalty - since when is it cool to be on your knees, put the ball on the ground and try to milk it?

There were so many other little ones, where players are getting a breather and we're watching them sip in gatorade rather than jumping to the replay, where usually it would have cut straight away to the replay.

Channel 9 wanted a certain result. The "story" of the production, the theatre. It influenced the result.

Believe what you want. The world's not as full of integrity as you think, especially not the old boys club of Channel 9 and the NSWRL etc.

It felt exactly like Game 3, 2006.

God help us in Brisbane when the refs will use the crowd against Qld rather than for them in NSW.

First off, I never said anything about the ref conspiracy but just because there is bias in other sports doesn't make any better. If Australian sport and in this case Rugby League wants to go to the next level, then they have to look at commentary as well. Just because we have gotten used to it, doesn't make it acceptable.

Sorry, the nutty comment was aimed at subsligh not you. I understand your point and in the weekly games it would be an issue but I personally enjoy the more emotional style of commenting during origin

Bias, couldn't care less. Gould's an idiot but his hyperbole goes both ways. His story telling is -> see that play there, I had a team once in the 80s (most likely a lie) and......that is exactly what I coached them to do... therefore I am somehow the doyen of Rugby League, I'm awesome, listen to me.

Channel 9 coverage actually impacting the game:

1. Inglis line break first half, swinging arm connects to face in tackle. No replay of incident despite break in play.
2. Tate catches a bomb first half and almost scores. Ball looked like it came off Topou in the jump. No replay.
3. Matt Scott gets kneed in the face and (I believe this morning) broken cheek bone. No replay.
4. Gallen drops the ball. 3 slow mo replays.
5. Reynolds being a **** all night - no replays.
6. Bird gets held up over the line, literally just lets go of the ball into Thaiday's arms, no video ref, strip penalty.
7. Thaiday's no try. On field ref ruling, no try obstruction, you kidding me? ... when at best it was an on field ref "TRY", then check obstruction (which was ultimately irrelevant because of the Hayne of God as they're calling it). No doubt the incorrect NO TRY ruling on field (for an irrelevant issue) weighed against Qld when ultimately deciding on the Thaiday juggle/two in the tackle strip.
8. Aaron Woods taking the ball dead. The correct call is made there and we would have sunk the Blues. That was a coach killer and heartbreaker if the correct call is actually made.
9. Jarryd Hayne's circle jerk with Fitler for the last 15 minutes of the lead up.
10. Jarryd Hayne's quick play the ball penalty - since when is it cool to be on your knees, put the ball on the ground and try to milk it?

There were so many other little ones, where players are getting a breather and we're watching them sip in gatorade rather than jumping to the replay, where usually it would have cut straight away to the replay.

Channel 9 wanted a certain result. The "story" of the production, the theatre. It influenced the result.

Believe what you want. The world's not as full of integrity as you think, especially not the old boys club of Channel 9 and the NSWRL etc.

It felt exactly like Game 3, 2006.

God help us in Brisbane when the refs will use the crowd against Qld rather than for them in NSW.

I'm a bit confused as to what your point is. You have case that the coverage is nsw centered but how does that effect the refs. I might be wrong but I doubt that the refs are watching the exact same coverage as we are. They have access to replays and different angles at their leisure. Just because we weren't seeing replays doesn't mean the video refs weren't .

Bias, couldn't care less. Gould's an idiot but his hyperbole goes both ways. His story telling is -> see that play there, I had a team once in the 80s (most likely a lie) and......that is exactly what I coached them to do... therefore I am somehow the doyen of Rugby League, I'm awesome, listen to me. Channel 9 coverage actually impacting the game: 1. Inglis line break first half, swinging arm connects to face in tackle. No replay of incident despite break in play. 2. Tate catches a bomb first half and almost scores. Ball looked like it came off Topou in the jump. No replay. 3. Matt Scott gets kneed in the face and (I believe this morning) broken cheek bone. No replay. 4. Gallen drops the ball. 3 slow mo replays. 5. Reynolds being a **** all night - no replays. 6. Bird gets held up over the line, literally just lets go of the ball into Thaiday's arms, no video ref, strip penalty. 7. Thaiday's no try. On field ref ruling, no try obstruction, you kidding me? ... when at best it was an on field ref "TRY", then check obstruction (which was ultimately irrelevant because of the Hayne of God as they're calling it). No doubt the incorrect NO TRY ruling on field (for an irrelevant issue) weighed against Qld when ultimately deciding on the Thaiday juggle/two in the tackle strip. 8. Aaron Woods taking the ball dead. The correct call is made there and we would have sunk the Blues. That was a coach killer and heartbreaker if the correct call is actually made. 9. Jarryd Hayne's circle jerk with Fitler for the last 15 minutes of the lead up. 10. Jarryd Hayne's quick play the ball penalty - since when is it cool to be on your knees, put the ball on the ground and try to milk it? There were so many other little ones, where players are getting a breather and we're watching them sip in gatorade rather than jumping to the replay, where usually it would have cut straight away to the replay. Channel 9 wanted a certain result. The "story" of the production, the theatre. It influenced the result. Believe what you want. The world's not as full of integrity as you think, especially not the old boys club of Channel 9 and the NSWRL etc. It felt exactly like Game 3, 2006. God help us in Brisbane when the refs will use the crowd against Qld rather than for them in NSW.

I have to say, I agree with all of this

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Organix
  • Foordy
  • kiwi2
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Dash
  • TimWhatley
  • Financeguy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Browny
  • bb_gun
  • Brocko
  • Mustafur
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncsgoat
  • Battler
  • Harry Sack
  • Jazza
  • Aldo
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.