NEWS Piehole: lol, I'm staying

It's looking more and more likely that Ikin and Paul Green will be at the club from 2021.
Walters not being considered for the role nor is he on the shortlist for the Cowboys coaching gig.

Last edited:
It's looking more and more likely that Ikin and Paul Green will be at the club from 2021.
Walters not being considered for the role nor is he on the shortlist for the Cowboys coaching gig.

might as well get used to our current position on the ladder then

I don't agree that the following have regressed under Seibold:

Haas - this is really only his second year of first grade. he hasn't played 80 mins in some matches, and clubs have figured out how to handle him (well, sort of). still a beast though.

Flegler - Locky said on one of the footy shows that Flegler had an issue when he came back from COVID. not sure if it was over or under weight by several kgs

Lodge - he was good last year and spent most of this year injured.

Niu - I don't know how you can say he has regressed. he debuted this year and played only about 6 first grade games. only half of them starting. (also he hadn't played footy for about 9 months before he debuted (due to no ISC this year)

of the others you mentioned Issako's form could be at least partly explained by his personal issues (fathers illness and death)

Joffa - people have been whinging about his form for years, i think he is playing the way he always has ... i.e. average

Yeah I am fine with all the points you made and if I am being optimistic (it is hard honestly), I am honestly sympathetic for the injuries the club has had. None of those guys have improved though have they? Aside from the ones I mentioned, can you honestly and objectively say the rest of them have improved? I mean, this guy has (reportedly) the pick of the comp's youth, how can it be that only a handful have improved (and arguably at that)?

There are also some glaring issues with these guys that aren't being addressed. Isaako and Coates keep coming in from their wing, Staggs still can't defend, Haas is still a defensive pillow, Milf is still clueless, Carrigan and Flegler still give away a hundred penalties a game and Wolfie still can't get a game win prediction right, players still drop the ball left, right and centre and at crucial moments. The defense still retreats, the attack still looks clunky, the undroppables still aren't dropped. The team is trying harder but is still no cohesion / structure whatsoever. How can one defend that?

How's Walters not being considered if Ikin is going to be CEO? Hasn't he been on the Walters bandwagon?

How's Walters not being considered if Ikin is going to be CEO? Hasn't he been on the Walters bandwagon?

My theory is the club is worried about the perception is going with another 'unproven' coach. Going with Green gives them a 'proven' coach who is also an old boy. The optics are good and to this club's board, that is all they care about these days.

assuming Seibs is sacked at seasons end, which is looking more likely by the game, and the choice is between Green and Walters ... then i would go with Walters every day of the week.

now, IMO, neither are the right coach to get us out of this mess, but IMO Walters would be the better choice to unite the clubs and silence the crap coming from the old boys. Green may have played a couple of games for us, but Walters is a club legend.

on Green, i think he is the absolute wrong coach to give the youngest roster in the comp to. we've seen it with the Cowboys ... he doesn't trust his rookies. if people thought seibs took a long time to throw Dearden into the mix, well, we'd still be waiting if Green was the coach ... his one successful season, he had Thurston running the show, we don't have anyone like that ... most other seasons he has been in the bottom part of the ladder.

on Walters, his club coaching career isn't any better than Seibs, and Walter coached in a weaker competition. a competition that other coaches that have struggled in the NRL, have succeeded in (like Nathan Brown). He may have won a couple of Origin series, but that is a completely different thing to coaching a club side in the NRL.

Last edited:
assuming Seibs is sacked at seasons end, which is looking more likely by the game, and the choice is between Green and Walters ... then i would go with Walters every day of the week.

now, IMO, neither are the right coach to get us out of this mess, but IMO Walters would be the better choice to unite the clubs and silence the crap coming from the old boys. Green may have played a couple of games for us, but Walters is a club legend.

on Green, i think he is the absolute wrong coach to give the youngest roster in the comp to. we've seen it with the Cowboys ... he doesn't trust his rookies. if people thought seibs took a long time to throw Dearden into the mix, well, we'd still be waiting if Green was the coach ... his one successful season, he had Thurston running the show, we don't have anyone like that ... most other seasons he has been in the bottom part of the ladder.

on Walters, his club coaching career isn't any better than Seibs, and Walter coached in a weaker competition. a competition that other coaches that have struggled in the NRL, have succeeded in (like Nathan Brown). He may have won a couple of Origin series, but that is a completely different thing to coaching a club side in the NRL.

Totally agree. The key issue is whether the board have learned their lesson in not offering ridiculous lengthed contracts to rookies.

If I'm trying to be arms length objective and look at this from Seibold's perspective:

He simply cannot afford to quit. In fact, he'd be just about out of his mind to even entertain it.

He was obviously complicit in leaving Souths high and dry to come here. They wanted him to stay, went out on a limb to try and extend him very early on, and he strung a proud club along for a very long time then walked out on them for a better, more glamorous offer. It's fair to say that sort of behaviour hasn't been forgotten by the other NRL clubs out there.

Now he's here, we've bet the farm on him, but he's also basically staked his career on us too. Few could argue he was inheriting a roster with some of the best young talent in the competition. No other club is as well resourced and supported from a football department perspective and with a 5 year deal he was given a huge vote of confidence. Basically, it's one of the most prestigious Coaching gigs in the game and many would say it's the easiest club to go to and achieve success.

Now it's all going to pieces, and the record losses are mounting up, and the players we want to keep are leaving when in the past they would have almost always stayed. Not all of this is his fault, but a huge proportion of it is, and it's the kind of shit that sticks like glue to a career. He's set fire to the biggest club in the competition and not a person in the game is not aware of just how bad things are now.

Therefor, the only way out for him now is to do whatever he thinks he can to try and turn this absolute shit show around. Quitting is simply not an option for him, as his prospects of being hired again are something approaching zero. He simply has no choice but to stay and hitch his colours to our wagon and try and pull us and by default himself and his career out of it. It would be career suicide to walk away at this point.

So no, I do not blame him for digging his heels in. Objectively, he has to do what's best for himself and I think in that sense he has no other option but to stick at it.

So that puts it back on the CEO, Board and the owners. The man is not going to walk away of his own accord, so if we do not remove him ourselves, we're basically saying we believe he will turn it around, which now seems so unlikely as to be outright absurd. We simply must act decisively. If we do not do it soon, we may find the fallout is catastrophic in not just the short term, but the long term too.
No two ways about, the mad rush to prematurely get Fat Tony here was a dreadful decision. Had he stayed put we'd have had more time to look at him and WB could have been given a graceful exit and doubtless the team would have been just as good or better with 12 more months for the young to brought through the grades.

You're right, FT has to stick it out but he must be torn. He probably only has one thing really on his mind, it'd be his family and the knockon effects his dismal results has on their lives. He bleated about it before whilst trying to shame WB and create sympathy. Well, I think this time it's probably real. I reckon that would be his greatest decision to make, keep putting my family and myself through this for the cash or pull the pin and fade away from the glare?

I really hope we don’t get green.
I would prefer Green to Walters and both of them are better options than Seibold. But neither inspire me with any confidence of winning premierships but realistically its the best we can expect.

I just want coaches to have an even shot at getting the job, no preferred candidate.

I would prefer Green to Walters and both of them are better options than Seibold. But neither inspire me with any confidence of winning premierships but realistically its the best we can expect.
No coach is better then seibold, I would prefer Walters over green as at least he loves the club. I’d really like to see us have a dig at getting Flanagan. He’s a great defensive coach and we have enough talent to score tries we just need someone who can teach them how to stop them.

Surely there must be one in the English super league worth a look at?
Holbrook and O’Brien are going ok all things considered.
Maybe there’s one more?

Active Now

• Lurker
  • BroncoFan94
  • Strop
  • Bucking Beads
  • Santa
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fozz
  • Dash
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • TimWhatley
  • Johnny92
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • leon.bott
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • MrMoore
  • Fitzy
  • FACTHUNT
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.