NEWS Piehole: lol, I'm staying

I'm hoping Hooper's on the money. Seibold did say he would not continue if he thought he couldn’t do the job. But now we’re at that point, a point he clearly never thought he'd come to, its a case of where to if I do. I see the little pods of players at half time are gone. Also he is sitting on the sideline - another change. It’s being said we made a bad choice, I wonder what he’s thinking about the choice he made.

I'm hoping Hooper's on the money. Seibold did say he would not continue if he thought he couldn’t do the job. But now we’re at that point, a point he clearly never thought he'd come to, its a case of where to if I do. I see the little pods of players at half time are gone. Also he is sitting on the sideline - another change. It’s being said we made a bad choice, I wonder what he’s thinking about the choice he made.

He picked the wrong game. He should have been on the sideline when we played the Storm and from the start and without a raincoat. That would have shown his team he was in it with them. I actually demanded it at halftime in that game in the live thread.

Last edited:
I don’t even think you need a massive staff, just guys who are good at their defined role:

Head Coach: Walters
Defensive Coach: Kearney
Attack Coach: The Walkers
Game Analyst: Ennis
Forwards Coach: Parker
Backs Coach: Hodges
Halves Coach: Langer
Coaching Director: Bennett

I'm probably slightly in favour of Walters, just to bring back the Bronco culture and winning mentality, with a very strong assistant coaching staff; a bit like what Mal was to QLD.

Other than Walters, I would go for a known old school disciplinarian type.

You're right! Just did a little checking and yeah, **** yeah ! Ass coach in 21 lol. We could sack Fat Tony as soon as this seasons declared dead and install my favourite, an angy Shetland Pony as head coach with Flamingun as his 'spokesman'. Sooo, goood.

No way @Huge
We do not need an ass coach, we are already playing like asses ;)

I'm probably slightly in favour of Walters, just to bring back the Bronco culture and winning mentality, with a very strong assistant coaching staff; a bit like what Mal was to QLD.

Other than Walters, I would go for a known old school disciplinarian type.
This might be a very good fix based on what's around with the coaching ranks.

Do something sensible with the contract this time also.. 2 years.. benchmarks of top 8 and top 4 else the option to extend is at the clubs discretion.. Pretty simple. Think of how such an agreement could have been used with Pies contract and what a difference that might have made.

If I'm trying to be arms length objective and look at this from Seibold's perspective:

He simply cannot afford to quit. In fact, he'd be just about out of his mind to even entertain it.

He was obviously complicit in leaving Souths high and dry to come here. They wanted him to stay, went out on a limb to try and extend him very early on, and he strung a proud club along for a very long time then walked out on them for a better, more glamorous offer. It's fair to say that sort of behaviour hasn't been forgotten by the other NRL clubs out there.

Now he's here, we've bet the farm on him, but he's also basically staked his career on us too. Few could argue he was inheriting a roster with some of the best young talent in the competition. No other club is as well resourced and supported from a football department perspective and with a 5 year deal he was given a huge vote of confidence. Basically, it's one of the most prestigious Coaching gigs in the game and many would say it's the easiest club to go to and achieve success.

Now it's all going to pieces, and the record losses are mounting up, and the players we want to keep are leaving when in the past they would have almost always stayed. Not all of this is his fault, but a huge proportion of it is, and it's the kind of shit that sticks like glue to a career. He's set fire to the biggest club in the competition and not a person in the game is not aware of just how bad things are now.

Therefor, the only way out for him now is to do whatever he thinks he can to try and turn this absolute shit show around. Quitting is simply not an option for him, as his prospects of being hired again are something approaching zero. He simply has no choice but to stay and hitch his colours to our wagon and try and pull us and by default himself and his career out of it. It would be career suicide to walk away at this point.

So no, I do not blame him for digging his heels in. Objectively, he has to do what's best for himself and I think in that sense he has no other option but to stick at it.

So that puts it back on the CEO, Board and the owners. The man is not going to walk away of his own accord, so if we do not remove him ourselves, we're basically saying we believe he will turn it around, which now seems so unlikely as to be outright absurd. We simply must act decisively. If we do not do it soon, we may find the fallout is catastrophic in not just the short term, but the long term too.

Now it's all going to pieces, and the record losses are mounting up, and the players we want to keep are leaving when in the past they would have almost always stayed. Not all of this is his fault, but a huge proportion of it is, and it's the kind of shit that sticks like glue to a career. He's set fire to the biggest club in the competition and not a person in the game is not aware of just how bad things are now.

So that puts it back on the CEO, Board and the owners. The man is not going to walk away of his own accord, so if we do not remove him ourselves, we're basically saying we believe he will turn it around, which now seems so unlikely as to be outright absurd. We simply must act decisively. If we do not do it soon, we may find the fallout is catastrophic in not just the short term, but the long term too.
Add some players to that list of who is responsible as there has been a current of assholes who have been nothing but trouble. I think our younger players are up for the challenge, but we have some older players who seem to need a hug which he won't give.

Haven't had much time to watch the footy this season due to work commitments. Which players do you think have improved their game under Seibold in the last year?

I'd say:

Staggs
Coates
Farnworth
Turpin
Paix

But how much of this is down to natural development as opposed to good coaching / mentoring?

I'd also argue these guys have all regressed:

Milford
Haas
Flegler
Joffa
Lodge
Oates
Isaako
Niu

Again, how much of this is due to injuries / lack of player effort?

Being as objective as possible, at BEST 50% of players have improved. Isn't that the sign of a split / lost dressing room?

I'd say:

Staggs
Coates
Farnworth
Turpin
Paix

But how much of this is down to natural development as opposed to good coaching / mentoring?

Milford
Haas
Flegler
Joffa
Lodge
Oates
Isaako
Niu

Being as objective as possible, at BEST 50% of players have improved. Isn't that the sign of a split / lost dressing room?
I assume that the players not listed are viewed by yourself as having flatlined. Therefore if you are standing still, others making progress will pass you. By your reckoning 5 players have improved. Not a healthy position for a such a young squad with so much room for improvement. I wonder how many NRL level coaches look at the squad & think to themselves "If I only had that much talent to work with available"

If I'm trying to be arms length objective and look at this from Seibold's perspective:

He simply cannot afford to quit. In fact, he'd be just about out of his mind to even entertain it.

He was obviously complicit in leaving Souths high and dry to come here. They wanted him to stay, went out on a limb to try and extend him very early on, and he strung a proud club along for a very long time then walked out on them for a better, more glamorous offer. It's fair to say that sort of behaviour hasn't been forgotten by the other NRL clubs out there.

Now he's here, we've bet the farm on him, but he's also basically staked his career on us too. Few could argue he was inheriting a roster with some of the best young talent in the competition. No other club is as well resourced and supported from a football department perspective and with a 5 year deal he was given a huge vote of confidence. Basically, it's one of the most prestigious Coaching gigs in the game and many would say it's the easiest club to go to and achieve success.

Therefor, the only way out for him now is to do whatever he thinks he can to try and turn this absolute shit show around. Quitting is simply not an option for him, as his prospects of being hired again are something approaching zero. He simply has no choice but to stay and hitch his colours to our wagon and try and pull us and by default himself and his career out of it. It would be career suicide to walk away at this point.

So no, I do not blame him for digging his heels in. Objectively, he has to do what's best for himself and I think in that sense he has no other option but to stick at it.

So perhaps his 'burn the boats' metaphor was more aimed at himself than the players. There's certainly no way back for him as far as I can see. It's turn the Broncos around or say sayanora to what at one time looked like a promising career.

I'd say:

Staggs
Coates
Farnworth
Turpin
Paix

Milford
Haas
Flegler
Joffa
Lodge
Oates
Isaako
Niu

I don't agree that the following have regressed under Seibold:

Haas - this is really only his second year of first grade. he hasn't played 80 mins in some matches, and clubs have figured out how to handle him (well, sort of). still a beast though.

Flegler - Locky said on one of the footy shows that Flegler had an issue when he came back from COVID. not sure if it was over or under weight by several kgs

Lodge - he was good last year and spent most of this year injured.

Niu - I don't know how you can say he has regressed. he debuted this year and played only about 6 first grade games. only half of them starting. (also he hadn't played footy for about 9 months before he debuted (due to no ISC this year)

of the others you mentioned Issako's form could be at least partly explained by his personal issues (fathers illness and death)

Joffa - people have been whinging about his form for years, i think he is playing the way he always has ... i.e. average

Last edited:
I don’t even think you need a massive staff, just guys who are good at their defined role:

Head Coach: Walters
Defensive Coach: Kearney
Attack Coach: The Walkers
Game Analyst: Ennis
Forwards Coach: Parker
Backs Coach: Hodges
Halves Coach: Langer
Coaching Director: Bennett
Maybe Bellamy as coaching director, I think Bennett wouldn't touch us the way shit went down.

Unread

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • Old Mate
  • Xzei
  • Jedhead
  • MrMoore
  • Dash
  • Jazza
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.