Player Movements and Rumours 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont care. if we get one good season out of him like the roosters did then we'd be a very good chance of taking out a premiership if we kept a near full strength team on the field.

The Rock said:
[quote="Anonymous person":5pvsrbwu]so if todd carney gets the sack from the roosters, and the NRL dont de-register him again, we should be throwing the cheque book at him.

Serious? Why do you think it would even work? He couldn't control himself at Canberra. Sacked. Couldn't control himself at the Roosters. Sacked. What makes you think he could come to the Broncos and stay off the drink and out of trouble?

Signing Carney would be the dumbest decision the club's ever made.

If Carney does indeed get sacked by the Roosters, what club would be dumb enough to give him a THIRD chance? I mean seriously???[/quote:5pvsrbwu]

I can see it working, actually. When he moved up to northern QLD in his year off he was off the grog and, by all accounts, well behaved. When he was in Canberra, he was constantly surrounded by old school mates from Goulburn. In Sydney, he's been living right near King's Cross, and working with blokes like Jake Friend, Watts, etc.
If the Broncos picked him up on similar terms to what Atherton did, find him an apartment far from the nightlife suburbs, and stuck him under the wing of, say, Ben Hannant, it might be worth a shot. Especially if he comes cheap. Load the contract up with alcohol clauses. Put him on $100k in his first year, which goes up each successive year, but the day he blows over at training, or is photographed drinking booze, or gets in trouble with the law, it's slashed to 50k.

Don't want Carney.

Please don't waste our money on him.

We're not going to keep this young bunch of players together forever, but let's keep them together while we can.

I wouldnt normally be keen on a player like Carney but when Lockyer goes having these young blokes is going to be useless unless we buy a quality 5/8 or half.

I say make a play for him, if we can get him cheap what s the harm. I really cant see Hutn or Norman being our long term halves and they are we are in for a few years of disappointment.

dukey said:
I can see it working, actually. When he moved up to northern QLD in his year off he was off the grog and, by all accounts, well behaved. When he was in Canberra, he was constantly surrounded by old school mates from Goulburn. In Sydney, he's been living right near King's Cross, and working with blokes like Jake Friend, Watts, etc.
once a drunk, always a drunk......apparently. i guess its the same attitude that some have towards people that go to jail for say, assaulting a pregnant girlfriend - some people just wont accept that people can turn things around in their life.

and like you said - carney was no trouble at all when living in whoop whoop and playing footy, thats why the NRL let him back in. he can do it, its just a matter of making sure he does. the broncos should be able to do that.

fact is that we NEED a halfback/five-eighth, and Carney is one of the best in the business. we could get him at a heavily discounted price because of his circumstances, and if we can get him, keep him off the booze, and turn his life around, he would probably be happy to stay with us for a long time. win-win.

Actually I recall Carney being involved in at least one scuffle in Atherton in the wee hours of the morning having been out all night drinking...

He is an acoholic and hasn't shown any interest in recovering from it.

Do not want.

He didn't perform well in the 4-Nations when given the opportunity.

He's been ordinary in his performances this season.

Hasn't backed up his form from last year.

Cooper >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Carney

Coxy said:
Actually I recall Carney being involved in at least one scuffle in Atherton in the wee hours of the morning having been out all night drinking...

You mean that time he was walking home with his sister, and got gang-bashed?

“Look, he's the innocent victim in this.

“He was at a 21st, some bloke on the drink provoked him, he walked away from it, didn't want a bar of it, they followed him down the road and bashed him.

“He didn't even want to press charges, didn't want it in the papers.”

Doesn't change the fact he was out at all hours of the night on the drink. Sure, he acted fine, but it's what he doesn't get. By being in that position he's in a dangerous position.

He's in denial about how damaging alcohol is to his life.

I agree with you that he shouldn't be drinking, and that he makes a target of himself by being out all night. But seriously, are you really going to pin that incident on him? His behaviour in Atherton was immaculate. For the 2010 season, he was near spotless, too. He's not beyond redemption; the problem is that the Roosters aren't putting their foot down.

The Rock said:
To be honest, to get over his addiction he needs to quit the game, get out of the rugby league drinking culture and go to AA for a long, long time.

That's probably the best thing for him. Drinking and footy are just so intertwined.

dukey said:
I agree with you that he shouldn't be drinking, and that he makes a target of himself by being out all night. But seriously, are you really going to pin that incident on him? His behaviour in Atherton was immaculate. For the 2010 season, he was near spotless, too. He's not beyond redemption; the problem is that the Roosters aren't putting their foot down.

He's an adult. If he can't deal with this issue then what's the point? Whether or not his behaviour was exemplary in Atherton and most of last year is irrelevant. If he can't maintain it, then the game can't maintain its patience with him.

Agree with Rocky. He needs to get out of the game and its in built drinking culture.

Oh, and BTW, once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic is true. It's accepted that the only way an alcoholic can control their demons is to completely abstain from drinking. You can go 10, 20, 30 years without a drink and then it can all unravel. You never "beat" your addiction.

Coxy said:
dukey said:

He's an adult. If he can't deal with this issue then what's the point? Whether or not his behaviour was exemplary in Atherton and most of last year is irrelevant. If he can't maintain it, then the game can't maintain its patience with him.

I'm losing patience with him myself. When he blew over in February, I thought 'oh, I guess he's drinking during the off-season, and he'll quit once the season gets underway,' but he's still putting them away. He really should have more sense then that, but so should the Roosters. The tail is wagging the dog right now.
That being said, he's shown he CAN quit the booze. I'd like to see him do it and save his career, because I LOVE watching him play. He's one of the most exciting 5/8ths in the game today.

Am I the only one that thinks it's no coincidence that his shit form this season has coincided with going off the wagon?

Nope. I agree with you 100%. That's why I'd love to see the Broncos get him, if they can keep him off the booze, because as he showed last year he's the best 6 in the game (behind Benji and Darren).

The Rock said:
Is he worth the risk though? He is do some SERIOUS damage to the clubs reputation and morale in the team. We don't want off-the-rail drunks. Look at how unsettled the Roosters are this year. They've had a pretty much a full strength team all year and they can barely win a game. I know Carney has been missing, but they've played shit when he's been there too.

Does anyone think it's coincidental that the Chooks have done so poorly this year and Carney has started to lose it again?

Well Carney's only missed the one game through injury, right? His form has been shocking though.

There's certainly an attitude problem in the team. Their forwards go nowhere.

The Roosters' attitude and off-field problems have been going on long before Carney hit the scene. Honestly, I was surprised they held it together last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Broncorob
  • mystico
  • FACTHUNT
  • ettybay
  • Shane Tronc
  • kiwibronco
  • sooticus
  • HarryAllan7
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.