Player Movements and Rumours 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of this family of 4 boys that was going to dominate rugby league through the late 90s and 00s. Ben, Shane, Chris and Luke Walker...

Ah well, at least one of them is still playing at NRL level (occasionally).

draggx said:
lyn said:
I've heard this kid called Kurt Baptise is pretty good. We should sign him.

I also heard this McCullough kid was alright as well in the U20's icon_thumbs_u
Touché. Although almost everyone has seemed to jump on the Baptise bandwagon already so was a bit surprised he hadn't been mentioned yet.

Coxy said:
Reminds me of this family of 4 boys that was going to dominate rugby league through the late 90s and 00s. Ben, Shane, Chris and Luke Walker...

Luke Walker [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. (much more LOLworthy than the other 3)

Flutterby said:
Coxy said:

Luke Walker [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. (much more LOLworthy than the other 3)

I remember attending a press conference announcing the Broncos had signed Ben, Shane and Chris that they talked about Luke and how he "was probably the most talented of the brothers so we have a lot to look forward to"...

Well I suppose any Broncos player that comes out of our TC squad is s**t because Macca played well down there. [icon_shady

Big Pete said:
Well I suppose any Broncos player that comes out of our TC squad is s**t because Macca played well down there. [icon_shady

Absolutely. That Jharal Yow Yeh never amounted to anything. [icon_shady

While we are throwing out options at hooker, does anyone know much about Josh Reynolds from the Doggies?He debuted in round 11 for the Doggies at hooker (Ennis was out for NSW) and he really impressed me. He put on some massive hits and classic tackles on big fellas. I have no idea how good his kicking is, but he plays half back so he should have a kicking game. Also he is coming in for the suspended Hodkinson at halfback this round.

Although he did impress me (he impressed the commentators too, they were raving about him the entire game. I think it was Gould mainly), I have no idea what hes actually like so was wondering if anyone else knew. I liked what I saw of him at hooker, and will keep a keen eye on him at halfback this round. Would be handy to have another hooker/half utility at the club with Locky retiring even though he is a rookie.

Here is his profile on the Doggies site:
Date of Birth : 13 April, 1989
Height : 180 cm
Weight : 90 kg
Position : Halfback/Hooker
Junior Clubs : St George Dragons
Josh Reynolds is a crafty and versatile halfback who is equally at home playing the role of hooker.

The Bulldogs 2010 NSW Cup player of the year, Reynolds is known inside and outside the Club for his point scoring ability.

As well as scoring two tries and kicking four goals, for a personal haul of 16 points, in the Bulldogs 24-12 NSW Cup Grand Final win over Windsor last season, he set a new Club record of 38 points in a match against the Melbourne Storm in the final round of the 2010 NSW Cup season.

A product of Clemton Park Public School and Kogarah Marist, Reynolds has been in the Bulldogs system for a number of years, playing both Harold Matthews Cup and SG Ball for the Bulldogs before progressing to the Toyota Cup in 2008. He played in the Under 20's again in 2009 before moving onto the ranks of the NSW Cup last season.

His performances for the Bulldogs against open age competition won him a berth training full time with the Bulldogs over the 2010/11 pre-season, which in turn led to him playing all three of the Bulldogs 2011 trial matches.

After a series of impressive displays again in 2011, he earned his long-awaited NRL call up for the Bulldogs round 11 clash against the Canberra Raiders, called into the side as a replacement for State of Origin rake Michael Ennis.

Also Payne has a few good words about him in this article:

"He's a very versatile, talented kid and he's very confident without being arrogant," Hodgson said.

"He's got a really good head on his shoulders and I'm really looking forward to playing with him."

http://www.nrl.com/reynolds-to-step-in- ... fault.aspx

If you're looking for complete left field alternatives then Brendan McKibbin would be worth a shot as a project player. FYI, he's the bench halfback for the Warratahs and is head and shoulders the best player running around in Premier Rugby (he's the first to win player of the year in both the Sydney and Brisbane comps). He went south for an opportunity, however I doubt he's going to get that as he's been stuck behind Burgess and recent news is the 'Tahs are in the market for a marquee half. I've no doubt he could easily be enticed home.

He has brilliant match awareness (similar to JT in that he just seems to bob up everywhere), whilst his strengths would be his running game and tenacity. He would have to work hard at his defense, however he is a flanker come halfback so I've no doubt he would have the capability. Passing and kicking is obviously up to grade.

As if we shouldnt just start Baptiste and be done with it.

Problem is that Macca Is rated much higher by the club than he actually deserves.

Bucking Beads said:
Problem is that Macca Is rated much higher by the club than he actually deserves.

If only there was a way to transfer Baptiste's brain into McCollough's body eusa_think

Baptiste wasn't even all that impressive when he came on I thought, seems to be overrated (Ironic when speaking of McCullough I know).

Old Mate said:
Baptiste wasn't even all that impressive when he came on I thought, seems to be overrated (Ironic when speaking of McCullough I know).

I agree. Not going to write him off because it was only his first game but I don't think he was as impressive as most are saying.

TBH, pretty much no player is as impressive in their first few games as they are built up to be. All young guys need to be given decent time and opportunities without the excessive pressure to show if they are really worth it or not.

Flutterby said:
TBH, pretty much no player is as impressive in their first few games as they are built up to be. All young guys need to be given decent time and opportunities without the excessive pressure to show if they are really worth it or not.

Yep.

Case in point, Lote Tuqiri made his debut early in 1999 amid plenty of hype about being the "next big thing", the "next Wendell". It's fair to say his debut game was SHIT. And he was pretty poor/average throughout most of that season, although showed some glimpses of what he could do.

By GF 2000, he was one of the game's best wingers.

He benefitted from the club persevering with him, and not suffering any injuries.

We definitely put too much pressure on young players that get blooded these days. And halves even harsher...most playmakers don't reach their peak until mid-20s at earliest, and we have some people here wanting to consign 20 year old Corey Norman, and 21 year old Ben Hunt to the scrap heap! Sheesh.

The poster boy of recent times is Boyd. Geeze some people must have egg on their face about him.

But Coxy you kind of answered the question of why people want that in your own post...

Tuqiri showed glimpses in his first year you say, I would also agree that Norman has showed glimpses in his career too to date (particularly his debut) and should be persevered with...

But 21 year old Ben Hunt has really shown jack diddly in the 2 or 3 years he's been given in the top grade, over which time he's had ample opportunity to show SOMETHING either playing alongside Locky, without Locky, at Hooker...and he simply hasn't.

If the Broncos stick with him as Plan A for a spot in the halves next year I for one will be extremely disappointed

See that's just it, I think Hunt has shown glimpses. I think he's had as many "good" games as Norman in the last 2 seasons, which admittedly is about 3 [icon_lol1.

He's probably fallen to plan B behind Norman at this stage given his lacklustre form so far this year compounded by his badly broken finger.

I still think it'll be Wallace, Norman and Hunt competing for the 2 halves spots next year, with Wallace having a mortgage on one of them. Whether 6 or 7 remains to be seen, and I wouldn't have a problem with him moving to 9 but I can't see Griffin making that change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.