Player Movements and Rumours 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Broncos have signed up Nick Slyney from Redlciffe on a 2 year deal and are in talks with Moylan about a contract.

source today's Courier Mail

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Bucking Beads said:
Broncos have signed up Nick Slyney from Redlciffe on a 2 year deal and are in talks with Moylan about a contract.

Good signing!

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Excuse my ignorance but who is Nick Slyney?

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Jeba said:
Bucking Beads said:

Good signing!

agreed, our backrow depth has been show up this year IMO, a few injuries and we struggle so hopefully Slyney can fill that void.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
GCBRONCO said:

Former North Queensland Cowboy depth player who really only played for them when they were in dire straights. Decent depth signing who I suppose will replace Carlaw.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
GCBRONCO said:

Back rower currently playing for Redcliffe, who signed him from the Cowboys. BroncoMatt might be able to confirm but I think he's played a few games for the Cowboys over the last few years but speant most of his time playing for Northern Pride where he was one of their best players last year.

This season he's been a real shining light for Redcliffe. Plenty of potential. Has a bit of Brad Thorn about him - a workaholic with plenty of size about him.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Jeba said:
GCBRONCO said:

Back rower currently playing for Redcliffe, who signed him from the Cowboys. BroncoMatt might be able to confirm but I think he's played a few games for the Cowboys over the last few years but speant most of his time playing for Northern Pride where he was one of their best players last year.

This season he's been a real shining light for Redcliffe. Plenty of potential. Has a bit of Brad Thorn about him - a workaholic with plenty of size about him.

Forget about BroncoMatt I can tell you he played 6 games for the Cowboys, 3 in 2008 and 3 in 2010. [icon_razz1

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Couldn't crack the Cowboys first grade? Sounds like he is shit. He won't play First grade at Brisbane.

BroncoMatt

BroncoMatt

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
draggx said:
Couldn't crack the Cowboys first grade? Sounds like he is shit. He won't play First grade at Brisbane.

Jack Reed couldn't crack first grade at Souths-Logan a few years ago and he seems to be going ok now

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Sounds like a decent signing good for depth, I'm with Broncomatt sometimes people are overly critical early on in a players career if they aren't stepping up straight away in the NRL, some players, especially forwards develop later.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
BroncoMatt said:
draggx said:

Jack Reed couldn't crack first grade at Souths-Logan a few years ago and he seems to be going ok now

And if Slyney happens to go well i will eat my words, but for now he is 6 games from 08-10 at the Cowboys so my hopes aren't high at all and i expect him to be depth signing at the most.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
THE Broncos are set to back themselves to enter the post-Darren Lockyer era without entering the player market.

Living by the "you reap what you sow" motto that is struck in bronze outside the club's weights room, Brisbane's first-year head coach Anthony Griffin will back the philosophy of beloved late talent scout Cyril Connell.

Griffin has banked the club's long-term future, and his own budding career, on harvesting its own crop. The six-time premiers have secured every member of their top playing roster for at least the next year with contract upgrades and extensions. As they pledged in March, Brisbane have utilised the salary cap funds freed by Lockyer's imminent retirement to lock away their entire stable of up-and-comers, rather than buying a big-name player.

"If it works, it works. If it doesn't there will be pressure on me," Griffin said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 6086251145

That's the whole article that I quoted, I just put the link there so people would know my source, so no need to click on it.

Anyway FWIW I applaud this attitude. I have always believed that unless it is a VERY BIG name player to fill a specific immediate void, there is no need for us to buy players as we should back our excellent recruitment and development programs. Obviously we will have a specific immediate void in the halves next year, but there is no very big name player to fill it, so go with what we've got and let them develop.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
We will have some serious talent on the market next season. Hopefully we start signing them up now.

elyod138

elyod138

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Slyney is a good pick up, he will play first grade again. He's easily NRL quality.

Some off field problems played a role in him getting minimal first grade games for the Cowboys, nothing too bad though.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
In fact some deserved a medal.

F

Ffs...

NYC Player
Jul 10, 2010
I don;t mind the philosophy, so long as fans are patient. We will likely finish 8th or 9th next year, but if I understand the salary cap correctly than the benefits, if a Norman or a hunt come good, will be reaped in 2 or 3 years time.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
8 or 9th? The team are showing now they can win without Locky/Thaiday/Parker/Hannant/Hodges/Yow...

Locky is the only player who won't be here next year so i expect to see a Top4 finish 2yrs in a row.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Too optimistic.

Lockyer is such a big part of the club as a captain and he's just such a good influence on the players. With him bowing out I believe it will have a similar impact as Fittler's departure had on the Roosters in 2005. They still had a good side and really didn't lose anybody of note yet they still finished as a middle of the road team.

I see us finishing somewhere between 7-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.