Playing Numbers

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
The NRL will consider a proposal to allow players to have their own individual numbers on the backs of their jerseys.

The idea was put forward at a meeting of club bosses in Sydney today by Sydney Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce and was received warmly by the other clubs.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/n ... -u6mn.html

Thoughts? Personally I'm not bothered either way. One good thing I can see out of it is that it would allow clubs to "retire" numbers of great players. Might cause a problem come rep teams if 2 players have the same number and are both picked in the same rep team - would have to decide who gets to where 'their' traditional number.

No it's a stupid idea, would confuse a lot of fans.

Doesn't bother me, I don't even look at their numbers.

How would it confuse fans? Might actually make it less confusing - if each player has a certain number you know who is playing - so if someone is out injured (or dropped) their replacement would be wearing their number - esp if it's a player who usually plays a different position - like T'eo, sometimes he plays in the back row, sometimes in the centres - if he is wearing his own number it will be easier to identify it's him cause he doesn't have a different number on each week.

Flutterby said:
How would it confuse fans? Might actually make it less confusing - if each player has a certain number you know who is playing - so if someone is out injured (or dropped) their replacement would be wearing their number - esp if it's a player who usually plays a different position - like T'eo, sometimes he plays in the back row, sometimes in the centres - if he is wearing his own number it will be easier to identify it's him cause he doesn't have a different number on each week.
I would rather know where each player is playing sure they don't always play where they are named but this would confuse it even more. I guess I'm used to the player number indicating position sometimes I miss the line ups but I still know where each player is playing because of his jersey number, etc.

I love the idea.

As for Origin just make them wear standard numbers in Rep games.

Yeah... I'm with broncospwn.

This is a dickhead of an idea. Newcomers to the game already struggle with the rules, and the refs changing how they ref each week. Now they are never going to learn positions.

Nashy said:
Yeah... I'm with broncospwn.

This is a dickhead of an idea. Newcomers to the game already struggle with the rules, and the refs changing how they ref each week. Now they are never going to learn positions.

yeah because other sports fan's around the world struggle.

But these days a lot of the time players don't play in the position indicated by their number anyway - which can be very confusing for newcomers to the game. If I say to someone "Oh yeah #3, that's centre. But he's now moved to the wing and later in the game he may even move to the backrow"

Kids would get into it abit more being able to look out and go "Oh number 23 Is Lockyer as if you didn't know that"

Flutterby said:
But these days a lot of the time players don't play in the position indicated by their number anyway - which can be very confusing for newcomers to the game. If I say to someone "Oh yeah #3, that's centre. But he's now moved to the wing and later in the game he may even move to the backrow"

Exactly. What position is #18? I've seen him run out on the field before but I don't know where he's playing.
I do enjoy the current structured numbering system, but there is really no reason against players wearing personalised numbers.

Hated it in Super League, will hate it again if they bring it back.

You should be able to tell their position based on where they're playing...

Ghibli said:

New fans to the game won't have a clue.

Yeah but they don't anyway because a lot of the time the number no longer indicates the position.

As I said originally I don't mind either way.

Ghibli said:
With our messed up structure you can't tell anything [icon_lol1.
I'm not going to be heartbroken if they do it but there really is much more important things the NRL should be focusing on at this point in time.

I hope they don't do it.

I'm not to bothered either way ... IIRC, during the Super League days many of the Broncos players still choose to wear the traditional positional numbers anyway.

as for rep games if they did bring in the own number system, when in rep games it should just be the traditonal numbering.

I'm a fence-sitter with this one. It'd be pretty cool for players to have their own numbers like Michael Jordan (23). But I like the current set up of jersey numbers depending on their named position.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • broncos4life
  • Fozz
  • Cavalo
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Wild Horse
  • Fatboy
  • Jazza
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosarethebest
  • sooticus
  • Brocko
  • Galah
  • Big Del
  • BroncosAlways
  • Shane Tronc
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.