Playing Numbers

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Coxy said:
Some fans still think 2 is left winger...sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

Lol, I do this. icon_smile

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Coxy said:
Oh boohoo, new fans might not know where someone is playing? Most new fans don't know the difference between a prop and a second rower anyway. Some fans still think 2 is left winger...sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

Entirely true. My point was just that it looks bloody messy on a team list, maybe that is just my OCD speaking but 1-17 looks neater and I think it forms a better impression of a team rather than a bunch of random numbers everywhere.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Hehe. On Saturday, Kevin Gordon and Michael Gordon marked up on eachother in number 5. So it depends on the team.

But yeah, do I care if Josh McGuire wearing 79 smashes Lote Tuqiri in 7.....no.

And Fozz, fair enough...but look at most teams on game day compared to Tuesday? Frankly I think we either go player individual numbers, or all teams are 1 to 17 regardless of what was named on Tuesday.

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Flutterby said:
ningnangnong said:
Having names and numbers on jerseys would be a good marketing move IMO. Plenty of people will want to buy a jersey with the name and number of their favourite player on the back.

Plenty of people already buy the supporter jerseys (which come with no numbers) and pay extra to get their fave player's # and name on the back anyway.

And it looks terrible because it's not authentic. IMO.

Coxy said:
Confusion etc, minor issue. Tradition...more of an argument, though we flipped the forward numbers around about 25 years ago...8 used to be lock.

Kind of like the collars on jersies traditional argument. Funnily enough the only club I can think of with a collar is the Cowboys now!

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Exactly. And night grand finals.

traditions can change. No reason this can't work at all.

G

guppy

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Wasn't Andrew Gee #23 in the Super League days?

That was enough to put me off players choosing their own numbers. #23 will forever be Michael Jordan in my mind. Not Andrew Gee.

If you're a good enough player, your number will always be remembered whether or not others have used it since. Whenever I see #7 for the Broncos, I think of Alfie. If someone in that position comes along and manages to change my mind, we'll all be better off. You should have to own your number through your actions on the field, not by picking it out of thin air.

Imagine the honour of putting on the Broncos #7 for the first time (despite it being jinxed). I think the traditional jersey numbers carry a legacy that current players should aim towards recreating.

Besides, which grub in the league would be the first to choose #69?

At the end of the day, it's not a big deal. It just cheapens the sport a tiny bit in my mind. It's too gimmicky. What next? Letting the players choose the names of their positions?
"I don't want to be a hooker anymore, I want to be the P.I.M.P!" or, Ian Roberts - "oooh can I be a Brokeback?"

The less choice players have in this game, the better.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
guppy said:
What next? Letting the players choose the names of their positions?
"I don't want to be a hooker anymore, I want to be the P.I.M.P!" or, Ian Roberts - "oooh can I be a Brokeback?"

The less choice players have in this game, the better.

ROFLSTILTSKIN!

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
What a non-issue. Let's fix something that isn't broken, what salary cap problems?

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
gUt said:
What a non-issue. Let's fix something that isn't broken, what salary cap problems?

Yep there really tackling the big issues :roll:

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
It's good to have a lighter topic IMO

I wont lie there is a part of me that likes the 1-17 system... as guppy said... if you wear #1 Broncos... it is something Lockyer wore etc etc...

In saying that if there is significant financial and marketing gain to be made here then I don't see why not... but I'd like to add the rule that the club can only retire one number every decade... otherwise you'll have clubs retiring jerseys willy nilly.

That way it would also be a huge honour to receive... as every club announces it every 10 years. Sort of like an extra hall of fame for every club.

I think they should try it but not right now - too much needs to be done before that.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
I've got no problem with the idea at all. Think it's a great idea actually. And like in Basketball, when they play international matches they go back to the 4-15, same could apply for Rep games where 1-17 is used.

What it could also add to the game is like cricket where players wear the number they have debuted on their cap or shirt, the same could be done for NRL players.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
ok, first point - this is a mind-numbingly small issue in a time where we have big problems to fix. focus on the importnat stuff for pete's sake!

point 2 - i am a rugby league convert from snooze-ball (AFL) and I love the numbering system in NRL - way better than snooze-ball

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
john1420 said:
ok, first point - this is a mind-numbingly small issue in a time where we have big problems to fix. focus on the importnat stuff for pete's sake!

Thats the thing thou, its such a small issue im fine with the NRL going "ok done we will do it, clubs work out your numbers"

Even a small issue can add to the game.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
How will that add to the game?

Money is the issue they need to be focusing their attention on. Not the numbers on the players.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
But as others have pointed out - individual numbering has the potential to bring more money into the game/to players (esp popular ones). Just one way, but if it does then you should be supporting it.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Shot gun Steve Michaels number!!

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I don't support it because I don't like it.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Aldo
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skathen
  • Bish
  • MrMoore
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.