[Poll] 2015 Fullback

Who Should Replace Darius Boyd At Fullback?

• Total voters
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I know we already have a discussion thread in place but just for the sake of clarity, I thought it'd be a good idea to see where BHQ stands on this issue.

I'll throw the names of a few candidates up and let's see where the numbers lie...

The best choice of the bunch is without a doubt Anthony Milford. The problem is he's viewed as a long term five eighth and I agree with that decision.

Hodges would be the next cab off the rank but he'd be a week to week proposition at best.

So it comes down to this other group and I'm going to get on my hands and knees and pray to the almighty heavens that Jayden Nikorima somehow someway becomes the next Karmichael Hunt and makes a name for himself in that fullback role because I believe he has the highest ceiling of all those available.

It really is too early to call but of all the other choices, him finding his feet would be the best thing to happen for the Broncos.

Milford, because that's his best position IMO. Then just play Hodges in the halves until Taylor is ready or whatever.

If not him, then the supposedly next most talented guy, Jayden Nikorima. I just don't want it to be a safe/temporary option, it should be someone who can make the position his own. So no Maranta, no Eden, no friggin 4 feet Copley

Just out of curiosity, people on BHQ seem to hold Jayden in higher regard then his brother Kodi. Why is that? Kodi is a gun, but people on BHQ seem to think he won't make it. As opposed to Jayden, everyone on BHQ reckon's he'll be a superstar. What's even to say that Kodi won't be better than Jayden in the NRL anyway?

Just out of curiosity, people on BHQ seem to hold Jayden in higher regard then his brother Kodi. Why is that? Kodi is a gun, but people on BHQ seem to think he won't make it. As opposed to Jayden, everyone on BHQ reckon's he'll be a superstar. What's even to say that Kodi won't be better than Jayden in the NRL anyway?

I personally haven't seen them play, just going by what I've heard. People keep mentioning Kodi is almost Hoffman level attached to the ball. If that's the case, no thx.

I've gone with Milford, i still firmly beleive that fullback is his best position.

I would like to see Taylor get first shot at the yhen vacant 5/8 position. (or even halfback, with Hunt moving to 5/8 where i think he could be even more effective). And i would get down on my hands and knees and pray Taylor makes the position his own.

Then when Boyd comes back from injury, he could play wing, a position i also firmly believe is his best position.

That would just be a whole barrel of wins

Jayden is a bigger talent who is basically better than his brother in every single way. Better running game, better kicking game, better passing game as well.

The only thing Kodi has over Jayden right now is experience but even then that won't be much of a factor now.

As I said elsewhere, I believe the fullback position is more flattering to a junior than the halves spot is which is why I don't think Taylor should be anything more than just a back-up for the time being.

Just out of curiosity, people on BHQ seem to hold Jayden in higher regard then his brother Kodi. Why is that?

Saw some of him in the 20s, he just has the ability to turn a game on it's head and his kicking game is like a jedi using the force.

It's a big step up to the NRL and it would be throwing him in the deep end until Boyd returns but I would love seeing a young gun and for the Broncos to have another rookie of the year award.

Kodi looks more like a flat track bully. What he does well succeeds at U20 level but you wouldn't be confident it translates to NRL level. What Jayden does looks to me like it translates better to NRL. His vision is great, his kicking skills are impressive and whilst not fast he has good acceleration. For me the main difference between the two is vision. You know what they say about how class players seem to have all the time in the world? To me Jayden looks like he has that.

I think we need to choose an actual fullback.

People keep mentioning Copley, but I don't think it would benefit us to have him there. Not just because he can be a liability in defense, but because his future is in the centres.

He needs to play there and develop his game more, and having him at fullback will just hinder that.

I would prefer Jayden and Kodi to play a season or two in the ISC before playing first grade. So Maranta and Eden are on my shortlist.

I would be fine with Kahu, though.

Milford is our long term 5/8. Keep him there.

Last edited:
Jayden is a bigger talent who is basically better than his brother in every single way. Better running game, better kicking game, better passing game as well.

The only thing Kodi has over Jayden right now is experience but even then that won't be much of a factor now.

As I said elsewhere, I believe the fullback position is more flattering to a junior than the halves spot is which is why I don't think Taylor should be anything more than just a back-up for the time being.

But i've seen Kodi and he's just as good as Jayden. I really can't split them. People seem to place Jayden on a pedestal that's all.

EItherway both brothers are talented. Kodi glides across the ground so effortlessly. He's quick, has good footwork, has a good passing game and knows how to score tries.

I'm still not sure what their best positions are cause they seem to shift alot between fullback, five-eighth and halfback.

Anyway just check this video out. Some pretty good stuff there...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gone Kahu, as I firmly believe he is an absolute gun in the position, albeit he may need a little time to get into his groove. Hopefully his injuries are behind him, so he gets a real shot at it.

Second choice would be the Foordy option above, with either Jikorima or Taylor grabbing one of the halves positions, with my preference going to Ash, who is imo a pure bred halfback.

Kodi is worse than Barba under the high ball, and can't defend for his life, but has some speed to burn and a reasonable pass, but if Kahu doesn't make the cut, then I'd much rather see his brother get a shot at the custodian role.

Maranta or Copley would just be plugging a hole, or keeping Boyd's seat warm... hopefully that doesn't happen, and one of the above wins the spot, so that we gain a great winger in Boyd.

In my view, Jayden was better than Kodi in all facets last season.

One thing I will say in Kodi's defence is that I saw a lot more of him at fullback than I did of Jayden so I had a lot more to be critical of where as I'm able to keep an open mind with Jayden and the signs I saw of him at the back were promising. Even in that trial against the Cowboys, I thought Jayden was a stand out player and he was a last minute addition to that game.

Right now, it's all a pipe dream and there really isn't enough to go off of for a lot of these players including Jordan Kahu. The right answer at this stage is 'wait and see' but this is BroncosHQ, not BoringHQ. Pick a name and have somebody to discuss.

I voted for Kodi, I agree that Jayden is clearly the better talent, but in terms of just throwing someone in the deep end for a few months, I think Kodi is the slightly safer choice. He's played a lot more footy than his brother and is a couple of years older.

I really wouldn't want to just chuck Jayden at Fullback and risk completely ruining his confidence if he fails miserably, we've all seen how X-Factor players play if they lose their confidence (Barba), Kodi seems to be a nice middle ground between playing it safe (Maranta, Eden) and taking a massive risk (J.Nikorima, Copley) for mine.

I agree we wouldn't want to ruin Jayden's confidence but I'm not sure I'd call Kodi safer at all. He was awful under the highball in U20's.

My preference is I don't care who plays fullback, but play Jayden from the bench for 20mins or so with the option of shifting Milford to fullback for that 20mins.

I honestly don't think we should be shifting Milford anywhere, for anyone.. him and Hunt should be playing every single game this season at Five-Eighth & Halfback, it's imperative that they form a good combination, and chopping Milford's position around isn't going to help that.

Kodi played the whole season at Fullback, Jayden didn't have to catch many bombs, so it's hard to really say which of them is safer under the high ball, with that being said, both Nikorima's and Eden should all be training at Fullback for the entire pre-season, whoever trains the best and looks the best in the trials, should get the job.

I believe I saw a quote for Darius today that said Eden has been training extremely well, and that's who he backed to get the job, although "it's up to Wayne".

The problem for the Niko boys is that the halves we have are not themselves seasoned veterans of their positions . I can't see Bennett putting another rookie in the spine. I would imagine Maranta and Kahu respectively have their noses in front, as I've never seen Eden , and as Pete says you'd need all the per season info before any decision could be made.

Unbreakable said:
Kodi played the whole season at Fullback

Point taken but worth noting that it was more like 3/4s of the season.

He started the year in the halves and he played there for Norths.

The more you know and all that good jazz.

FWIW Jayden played two games at fullback, twelve in the halves and six off the bench.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • broncos4life
  • Lurker
  • HarryAllan7
  • Tim K
  • Fozz
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Strop
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Bish
  • Griffo
  • MrMoore
  • Galah
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manifesto
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.