[Poll] 2015 Fullback

Who Should Replace Darius Boyd At Fullback?

• Total voters
I honestly don't think we should be shifting Milford anywhere, for anyone.. him and Hunt should be playing every single game this season at Five-Eighth & Halfback, it's imperative that they form a good combination, and chopping Milford's position around isn't going to help that.

^^ THIS

Moving Milford is a simplistic, short sighted knee jerk reaction.

If Kahu can stay fit (and by **** he's due for a bit of good fortune) then I think he has the skills to get a job done for us. Obvious advantages of still having Hodges to roam there in attack. That said, Kahu himself has some silky attacking skills that due to injury, we've become all too unfamiliar with. I'd like to see WB at least start with Kahu as a ways to fill in for Boyd's injury.

Darren Lockyer needs to come to training and put up bombs all day for whomever is in the running for the fullback spot. If any of them can catch his bombs regularly then they will be a front runner. I went with Maranta for this reason. He can catch better than the rest of them.

I went Maranta as he is the best option of what's left. Hunt and Milford need to be the halves, no fucking around. Hodges stays in the centres with Copley the other side, Vidot and Kahu on the wings with Reed left out.

He's pretty safe in D and can attack when given some open room (not dancing down the sideline on the wing). And when Boyd comes back unfortunatley it's just a straight swap. Boyd to wing is just ridiculous. Just because he plays there in origin, a team full of superstars, doesn't mean he's a winger. Boyd is a very good finisher on the wing but his position is fullback where he offers a lot more.

dont know anything of Eden and I think the 20s lads coming thru might be a bit green. Maybe K Niko on the bench ala Hunt for experience in NRL, not to sure about Waddell taken that posie but I think that may be locked up from Wayno.

will be interesting

I read a Hodges quote saying he'd be happy to play at fullback in attack while Milford defends there.

I think this would be very effective.

I expect Maranta but I went Kodi

Milford is our five-eighth just plain and simple, Eden is just too much of an unknown, Maranta is a safe option but won't win us a game, kahu needs to get some game time under the belt to prove he can do it. Taylor and Jayden are talented but are just too young and inexperienced they have barely played a full season of 20's

Kodi has had three years in the 20's, few games in ISC and the Nines last year. He has a good running game, speed and a bit of x-factor. Defensively flawed yes but attacking wise he can play to Bennett's game plan

Point taken but worth noting that it was more like 3/4s of the season.

He started the year in the halves and he played there for Norths.

The more you know and all that good jazz.

FWIW Jayden played two games at fullback, twelve in the halves and six off the bench.

Kodi got badly dusted up that day against the huge Hunters, he kept coming back and scored two tries one really good one down the right hand side. But the Hunters kept finding him in the line and he let in a few tries with one on one misses. The Hunters' first try was a bad miss.

The amount of fullback that Jayden played this year is the source of my confusion for people wanting him to be an NRL fullback. Two games and people are sold he's an NRL fullback?

When he played his best football in the last third of the year he was playing off the bench, while I don't think he will stay there Hodges had him there because physically he only could handle 20 minutes of NYC football. That's a huge step up from 20 minutes of NYC off the bench to fullback in an NRL side when you have hardly played the position.

I read a Hodges quote saying he'd be happy to play at fullback in attack while Milford defends there.

I think this would be very effective.

Why....because Milford is solid in defense at fullback ??

IMO he's not.

IMO he's not.

Neither is Hodges. We have no fullbacks that can defend so we may as well suck it up and go all in on their offensive capabilities. In that regard, Hodges is a no brainer in the offensive half and let Milford do his thing in the halves.

IMO he's not.

No, I think it's a good idea because he's not a 33 year old with well known fitness concerns.

It would allow Hodges to do less running (which he has been quoted saying that his body would struggle with the amount of running fb requires in defence) and it would let Milford ease into 5/8 without having being lined up by props for 80 minutes.

Kodi got badly dusted up that day against the huge Hunters, he kept coming back and scored two tries one really good one down the right hand side. But the Hunters kept finding him in the line and he let in a few tries with one on one misses. The Hunters' first try was a bad miss.

The amount of fullback that Jayden played this year is the source of my confusion for people wanting him to be an NRL fullback. Two games and people are sold he's an NRL fullback?

When he played his best football in the last third of the year he was playing off the bench, while I don't think he will stay there Hodges had him there because physically he only could handle 20 minutes of NYC football. That's a huge step up from 20 minutes of NYC off the bench to fullback in an NRL side when you have hardly played the position.

Yeah, I've not seen a lot of him at fullback so hesitant to want him as custodian.

As for the 20minutes, I believe that was because he was coming back from injury? He played at least 60mins in the grand final. Regardless, I agree he was at his best off the bench and see no reason why he can't get his first taste of NRL from the bench.

No, I think it's a good idea because he's not a 33 year old with well known fitness concerns.

It would allow Hodges to do less running (which he has been quoted saying that his body would struggle with the amount of running fb requires in defence) and it would let Milford ease into 5/8 without having being lined up by props for 80 minutes.

I think unless Eden/Kahu really rips it up in the preseason this Hodges/Milford combo is by far our best option. Hodges is big and seasoned enough to defend at 5/8th leaving Milford fresh to carve it up in attack.

Plus Hodges at fullback in the oppositions half means points on the scoreboard. Imagine Hunt off a stellar year with Milford energised and free of line defence duties while Hodges lopes around the back. Even the games we lose will be exciting to watch.

Can't see Milford being moved back to fullback, he's been brought in as the answer to the 5/8th problem.

I'd think Eden is the most likely, he played fullback in the ESL. Kahu hasn't played fullback for ages. Kodi is too suspect, Jayden is too inexperienced. Hodges is too injury prone.

the people wanting milford at back I'm sure just want it to prove a point of boyd vs milford.
It makes no sense because boyd comes back in 6 months and then the whole spine is starting from scratch not to mention we would be left with an even bigger hole at 5/8th. the only decent options would be hodges/kahu or reed for five eighth and that leaves us in the same position as 2014.

let the rest of the team stay stable so our combinations don't start from scratch half way through the season. It would give us more chance of a premiership to have the spine of macca hunt milford and boyd which will still happen in september if we don't move milford.

The only position we have the depth to move a proven first grader is either centre (hodges) or wing (maranta/kahu).
No way is ash taylor ready for first grade have those advocating him ever seen him. he's tiny and although a great prospect definitely not ready he'd be run straight over. It would be giving up this year imo when we have a chance with boyd coming back around origin.

the people wanting milford at back I'm sure just want it to prove a point of boyd vs milford.
It makes no sense because boyd comes back in 6 months and then the whole spine is starting from scratch not to mention we would be left with an even bigger hole at 5/8th. the only decent options would be hodges/kahu or reed for five eighth and that leaves us in the same position as 2014.

let the rest of the team stay stable so our combinations don't start from scratch half way through the season. It would give us more chance of a premiership to have the spine of macca hunt milford and boyd which will still happen in september if we don't move milford.

The only position we have the depth to move a proven first grader is either centre (hodges) or wing (maranta/kahu).
No way is ash taylor ready for first grade have those advocating him ever seen him. he's tiny and although a great prospect definitely not ready he'd be run straight over. It would be giving up this year imo when we have a chance with boyd coming back around origin.

Last edited by a moderator:
... hopefully that doesn't happen, and one of the above wins the spot, so that we gain a great winger in Boyd.

Do people really still believe that this is a possibility? Boyd will be the fullback when he is fit. For christs sake we let go 2 fullbacks and are moving another to 5/8th just to accommodate boyd lol. He's not going to play wing.

Milford is by far the best option. Just because Bennett says Milford has to be 5/8th from day 1 doesn't mean it is best for Milford or the team. Imo Milford needs at least another 2-3 years at the back improving his 1-on-1 defence (like lockyer did, went from being terrible to outstanding), leadership (watching the play and telling players where to go), kicking game (can move in for a 5th tackle kick with plenty of time instead of being forced to kick every time), and get a bit bigger and wiser. Hes the best attacking fullback in the game at the moment, and our fullback just went down for 6 months. It really is a no brainer.

Do people really still believe that this is a possibility? Boyd will be the fullback when he is fit. For christs sake we let go 2 fullbacks and are moving another to 5/8th just to accommodate boyd lol. He's not going to play wing.

Milford is by far the best option. Just because Bennett says Milford has to be 5/8th from day 1 doesn't mean it is best for Milford or the team. Imo Milford needs at least another 2-3 years at the back improving his 1-on-1 defence (like lockyer did, went from being terrible to outstanding), leadership (watching the play and telling players where to go), kicking game (can move in for a 5th tackle kick with plenty of time instead of being forced to kick every time), and get a bit bigger and wiser. Hes the best attacking fullback in the game at the moment, and our fullback just went down for 6 months. It really is a no brainer.

He really isn't though.. He's great, don't get me wrong. But Inglis, Slater and even Stewart are all better attacking fullbacks.

He really isn't though.. He's great, don't get me wrong. But Inglis, Slater and even Stewart are all better attacking fullbacks.

Any credibility you had in this argument went out the window when you mentioned Stewart.

Milford may be a great 5/8 one day, but a few more years at the back would only help (not hinder) his game.

And who knows, we may even gain a great half in Taylor.

These days Stewart isn't a runner but someone who sets up tries. If Milford isn't a better attacking fullback than Stewart why would you move him to five eight where he has to take on more attacking responsibilities?

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Browny
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • FACTHUNT
  • teampjta
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Lostboy
  • Broncosgirl
  • lynx000
  • Brotherdu
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Allo
  • Fitzy
  • Shane Tronc
  • BroncosAlways
  • LittleDavey
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.