[Poll] 2015 Fullback

Who Should Replace Darius Boyd At Fullback?

• Total voters
I honestly don't think we should be shifting Milford anywhere, for anyone.. him and Hunt should be playing every single game this season at Five-Eighth & Halfback, it's imperative that they form a good combination, and chopping Milford's position around isn't going to help that.

Kodi played the whole season at Fullback, Jayden didn't have to catch many bombs, so it's hard to really say which of them is safer under the high ball, with that being said, both Nikorima's and Eden should all be training at Fullback for the entire pre-season, whoever trains the best and looks the best in the trials, should get the job.

I believe I saw a quote for Darius today that said Eden has been training extremely well, and that's who he backed to get the job, although "it's up to Wayne".

Agree with this 100%

I love how everyone just now believes Milford is our long term 5/8th "because Bennett". Why cant he be our long term fullback, a position he is already absolutely brilliant at? He can move in to the halves when he loses a step of speed or 2 later on IF he has shown the skills required to be a half, but there is no reason to try and force it.

What are you guys gonna do if he has a ben barba 2014 year in the halves next year? Call for his head? Cause if you don't then you'll be looking very hypocritical. Or will he get a pass "because Bennett"?

Yeah, I've not seen a lot of him at fullback so hesitant to want him as custodian.

As for the 20minutes, I believe that was because he was coming back from injury? He played at least 60mins in the grand final. Regardless, I agree he was at his best off the bench and see no reason why he can't get his first taste of NRL from the bench.

No he played 20 games, he had no signifcant injury this season. Hodges put him on the bench because he wanted him playing but he couldn't get anymore out of him than what is required from a bench spot. He was only 17. The GF was a hot day and against a big side going into extra time, pushed him a little harder.

I love how everyone just now believes Milford is our long term 5/8th "because Bennett". Why cant he be our long term fullback, a position he is already absolutely brilliant at? He can move in to the halves when he loses a step of speed or 2 later on IF he has shown the skills required to be a half, but there is no reason to try and force it.

What are you guys gonna do if he has a ben barba 2014 year in the halves next year? Call for his head? Cause if you don't then you'll be looking very hypocritical. Or will he get a pass "because Bennett"?

I think people want Milford as our long term Five-Eighth because it's clearly the harder position to find a good player for, there are good Fullback's floating around everywhere in the competition, there's probably only 4-5 genuinely good quality Five-Eighth's in the NRL, and most of those teams are near the top of the ladder every year.

Bennett realises it's in our best interest to lock Milford in at 6 early to give him plenty of time to master the position (Last year was hardly a good enough sample size for him, he didn't train there at all in the pre-season and was alongside the worst spine in NRL history)

But of course that doesn't fit your anti-Bennett agenda, so I assume you'll just say that's all incorrect.

Personally, play Eden or Maranta at fullback on defence with Hodges at centre and Copley on the wing. Then on attack, Hodges to fullback, Copley to centre and Eden/Maranta on the wing. Don't touch Milford. Leave him in the halves, let him strike up a combo with Hunt because we have no other suitable halves pairing options for Hunt and he will need a strong halves partner this year coming.

Gun at my head I say the Hodges/Maranta interchanging in attack and defence is the best option. Pray for a 50% or better win rate and a super fast return of Boyd.

Have Copley push in on defence though, rather than Maranta.

So your right side is:

Defence:

1. Maranta
4. Hodges
5. Copley

Attack:

1. Hodges
4. Copley
5. Maranta

And give Maranta the 1.

Save the media scrum and their negative "Hodges positional change to finish career" "Hodges wants to be like good mate Inglis"

...or buy the next available ex-Knights or Dragons or 2008 Kiwi World Cup nothing player with fullback experience.

Hmm... Gerrard Beale?

These days Stewart isn't a runner but someone who sets up tries. If Milford isn't a better attacking fullback than Stewart why would you move him to five eight where he has to take on more attacking responsibilities?

Setting up tries isn't attacking?

Setting up tries isn't attacking?

It most definitely is attacking. My point is at five eight you want that player setting up tries. And Stewart is better at this than Milford. Thus why be so adamant that Milford be a five eight.

It most definitely is attacking. My point is at five eight you want that player setting up tries. And Stewart is better at this than Milford. Thus why be so adamant that Milford be a five eight.

Because he is just as good at five-eight, has Darren Lockyer helping him, wants to play there, has played most of his life there, is always out of position defensively at fullback and will have someone protecting him in the front line. Oh and the obvious one, no amount of whinging on a forum that the coach probably never visits will sway that coaches decision. I realize that and in turn, don't let it anger me or produce any kind of hatred towards anyone. Therefore, Anthony Milford is the Brisbane Broncos five-eight and I am cool with that.

Buying Milford to play 5/8th is like buying Thaiday to play lock. Maybe if this was 10 years ago.

It's a few years back, but gives you a small idea of Kahu at the back (when he played there). His solo try he shows some pace. Can only assume he ain't quite got that anymore. Still, has some classy touches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Because Reality V Fantasy. Whether you like it or not, Bennett brought Boyd to play FB. In an ideal world, I'd absolutely be leaving Milford at 1 and I wouldn't have brought Boyd. TBH, I think you'll find that's the opinion of a lot of the posters on here.

If Milford stinks it up at 5/8th, then we'll deal with that if it happens. However, Barba stunk it up at FB first and foremost and it was only towards the end of the season that he started to come good in his role at 6. Milford however will have an entire pre-season training in the 6 with his halves partner.

I don't know how much his injuries have affected him, but he is one of the classiest fullbacks I have ever seen play the game. I hope he is given a chance and his injuries don't hamper him from returning to his best.

Because Reality V Fantasy. Whether you like it or not, Bennett brought Boyd to play FB. In an ideal world, I'd absolutely be leaving Milford at 1 and I wouldn't have brought Boyd. TBH, I think you'll find that's the opinion of a lot of the posters on here.

If Milford stinks it up at 5/8th, then we'll deal with that if it happens. However, Barba stunk it up at FB first and foremost and it was only towards the end of the season that he started to come good in his role at 6. Milford however will have an entire pre-season training in the 6 with his halves partner.

Dont know about that. I seem to read that most posters want milford at 6 because bennett says so

I don't know how much his injuries have affected him, but he is one of the classiest fullbacks I have ever seen play the game. I hope he is given a chance and his injuries don't hamper him from returning to his best.

Agree! I have said it countless times, he was the best young fullback coming through the grades that I have ever seen. He had everything. He was all class. It was a real shame he was robbed of a few years, and he may have lost some speed, and some confidence, but it can return with some work.

If he could form a formidable partnership with Corey Norman at Keebra, imagine what he could do with Milford...

It was a great shame that Hodges didn't get to play fullback his whole NRL career as he as well was probably the best fullback coming through in the game. I'm certain if he played fullback his whole career he would of been one of the best in the modern game, even better than Inglis. He was a freak. But injuries and lack of opportunity has limited his time at the back.

It would also be a great tragedy if Kahu never played fullback. I feared we would never see how good he truly is, and that he'd be just another Hodges (in the sense that he couldn't play fullback in the NRL due to lack of opportunity/injury despite their talent). Hopefully he gets a crack and takes the opportunity with both hands. He's due for some good luck the poor bugger.

Milford Bennett Boyd Barba fullback five eighth mish mash words blahdady bloomba

BHQ for the past 2 months

Active Now

• Manlyman
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Midean
  • broncos4life
  • Justwin
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Brocko
  • Lostboy
  • Browny
  • Bongo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Allo
  • Skathen
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.