[Poll] 2015 Fullback

Who Should Replace Darius Boyd At Fullback?

• Total voters
Agree! I have said it countless times, he was the best young fullback coming through the grades that I have ever seen. He had everything. He was all class. It was a real shame he was robbed of a few years, and he may have lost some speed, and some confidence, but it can return with some work.

If he could form a formidable partnership with Corey Norman at Keebra, imagine what he could do with Milford...

It was a great shame that Hodges didn't get to play fullback his whole NRL career as he as well was probably the best fullback coming through in the game. I'm certain if he played fullback his whole career he would of been one of the best in the modern game, even better than Inglis. He was a freak. But injuries and lack of opportunity has limited his time at the back.

It would also be a great tragedy if Kahu never played fullback. I feared we would never see how good he truly is, and that he'd be just another Hodges (in the sense that he couldn't play fullback in the NRL due to lack of opportunity/injury despite their talent). Hopefully he gets a crack and takes the opportunity with both hands. He's due for some good luck the poor bugger.

The old Calvin Coolidge quote works both for and against Kahu's untapped talent and the fact persistence has kept him in the squad.

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Interesting to note that Jordan Kahu currently leads the poll with 33% of the vote. Considering Maranta is second with 16% of the vote, I think it just highlights how split people are on the issue.

Personally, Kahu would be my second pick behind Nikorima (in an ideal world) because I've liked what I've seen from the brief flashes and would hope that he'd be able to handle the workload presented infront of him. With that said, I haven't seen all that much in him at the back to really think of him anything more than just a back-up. Since joining the Broncos in late 09 he may have only played 4 or 5 games at fullback and it wasn't like he blew people away with those performances and that of course was a few knee surgeries ago.

If I was to find a spot for him, it'd be on the left wing next to Copley.

Dont know about that. I seem to read that most posters want milford at 6 because bennett says so

Fair enough. Prior to the signing of Boyd though, I seem to remember 1.Milf 6.Barba being the preferred combo.

Fair enough. Prior to the signing of Boyd though, I seem to remember 1.Milf 6.Barba being the preferred combo.

Oh definitely. Before boyd was signed that was the consensus. But as soon as Bennett signed boyd, all of a sudden Milford wasnt our fullback anymore, he was our 5/8th solution. Funny just how quickly things change.

#notfunnyatallbutratherstupid

prior to the announcement of wanting to bring boyd, people didnt want boyd either. then bennett made it clear that he wanted him, shock horror, and a big group of people all of a sudden wanted him.

I was under the impression he (Milford that is) was always signed to play 5/8th. And IIRC part of the reason he came is because Locky promised to help him with the transition, with all this being worked out way before Hook got hooked.

Buying Milford to play 5/8th is like buying Thaiday to play lock. Maybe if this was 10 years ago.

Exactly, we're going to have Milford stuck playing first receiver on one side of the field. And Boyd playing second receiver both sides.

I recall a few of Bennett's 5/8's playing on both sides.

From what I've seen, they have always had the freedom to play on both sides whenever they saw a chance.

Last edited:
Outside of Milford Kahu is my preferred option. He was earmarked to play five eight last year, which, whilst not necessarily meaning a lot given he beat out Josh fucking Hoffman, makes him much more interesting.

Hodges is great in attack, and it'd be a crime if he didn't get his hands on the ball more, but defensively he's not much chop. Copley can't catch or pass. Maranta can catch, but that's about it. Kahu seems the most dynamic and IMO has the most useful speed (Maranta may be faster over a full 100m but Kahu has the league speed) which I think will be critical as I can see Hunt and Milford creating a number of line breaks.

Either way, whoever gets the job, in addition to being able to catch, must be following Milford and Hunt around like bad smells looking for a support try. From what I remember of Kahu, which isn't a lot, he supports well and has great acceleration.

Oh definitely. Before boyd was signed that was the consensus. But as soon as Bennett signed boyd, all of a sudden Milford wasnt our fullback anymore, he was our 5/8th solution. Funny just how quickly things change.

#notfunnyatallbutratherstupid

Perhaps because they chose to accept the fact that Boyd, rightly or wrongly, would be the FB therefore making Milford the best choice at 6?

On topic, Milford is the best choice FB. However given Darius will, at this stage, only be out for half the season it doesn't make sense to put him there I think. Purely because he'll be moved mid way through the season. If Boyd had done something season ending, there's no discussion and Milford should be 6. Leaving Kahu, Maranta and Eden I think. Something tells me Eden will get the nod.

prior to the announcement of wanting to bring boyd, people didnt want boyd either. then bennett made it clear that he wanted him, shock horror, and a big group of people all of a sudden wanted him.

Did they want him or did they simply accept the fact that he would be coming and try and draw a few positives? Anyway, I'd rather not turn another thread into a shit fight over Boyd/Bennett etc.

Raiders Five-Eighth Milford can play Fullback but the brilliant youngster will have the Broncos number six jersey in his sights after it emerged he will be mentored by Broncos great and ex-Test pivot Darren Lockyer upon his arrival. - May 13, 2014
Wayne Bennett phoned Lachlan Murdoch on Sunday, convincing the News Corporation boss he could turn around the struggling Broncos, paving the way for him to be announced as head coach of the Brisbane team on Monday. - July 20, 2014

Wow, look at that, apparently Milford was going to be mentored by Lockyer and groomed to play Five-Eighth BEFORE Bennett had even signed with the Broncos, but wait.. that doesn't add up, aren't the Anti-Bennett people saying that Milford was moved by Bennett from his preferred Fullback position to pave the way for Darius to return?.. I'm Confused.

Wow, look at that, apparently Milford was going to be mentored by Lockyer and groomed to play Five-Eighth BEFORE Bennett had even signed with the Broncos, but wait.. that doesn't add up, aren't the Anti-Bennett people saying that Milford was moved by Bennett from his preferred Fullback position to pave the way for Darius to return?.. I'm Confused.

No. The Anti-Bennett people say Barba was moved to make way for Boyd.

But there are quite a number of us who think Milford's best position is fullback.

Last edited:

Cmon mate, clearly bennett was pulling the strings back then and made sure Brisbane signed him to play 6 so that his son could come to play fullback.

Jesus Christ get it together

Outside of Milford Kahu is my preferred option. He was earmarked to play five eight last year, which, whilst not necessarily meaning a lot given he beat out Josh fucking Hoffman, makes him much more interesting.

Hodges is great in attack, and it'd be a crime if he didn't get his hands on the ball more, but defensively he's not much chop. Copley can't catch or pass. Maranta can catch, but that's about it. Kahu seems the most dynamic and IMO has the most useful speed (Maranta may be faster over a full 100m but Kahu has the league speed) which I think will be critical as I can see Hunt and Milford creating a number of line breaks.

Either way, whoever gets the job, in addition to being able to catch, must be following Milford and Hunt around like bad smells looking for a support try. From what I remember of Kahu, which isn't a lot, he supports well and has great acceleration.

I agree with this .. but i would make one change, and thats to add Parker to the players that the new fullback needs to follow around like a bad smell

But there are quite a number of us who think Milford's best position is fullback.

Do people really still believe that this is a possibility? Boyd will be the fullback when he is fit. For christs sake we let go 2 fullbacks and are moving another to 5/8th just to accommodate boyd lol. He's not going to play wing.

Milford is by far the best option. Just because Bennett says Milford has to be 5/8th from day 1 doesn't mean it is best for Milford or the team.

That doesn't make sense either, Barba is a Five-Eighth, I thought we already established that.. He played the worst football of any professional football player ever at Fullback last season, played better at Five-Eighth.. signed with the Sharks to play Five-Eighth..

In what sense can he even be considered a Fullback any more?

Active Now

• Bongo
  • Sproj
  • Pablo
  • bert_lifts
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Hurrijo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Midean
  • Stix
  • Painin the Haas
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.