THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Its not rocket science, its all about the stature of the teams. United might be poorly run but are still one of the biggest football teams in the world. We are in the same bracket as a Rugby League club. Players still want to play for big teams with big reputations even though they might be underachieving. United will always attract good players, and so will we. We might ruin them, but it wont affect how attractive it is to play for clubs like ours.

Once you reach a certain size and stature you cant just dial it back in. You get that history behind you, and then the expectation never goes away. Being badly run and underachieving just isnt going to make that go away. The Broncos expectation should be top 8 every year bare minimum.
I acknowledge that we are a big club... same as united.. my issue with both clubs is that they no longer operate like big clubs.

They no longer have the best players, they no longer chase and head hunt the best players, they no longer have the best coaching, they no longer set the standard of operating as a club, they no longer set the standard for playing on the field, they no longer innovate on the field, etc.

If a club is no longer doing these things then how can they still be considered at the top of their respective leagues.

I acknowledge that we are a big club... same as united.. my issue with both clubs is that they no longer operate like big clubs.

They no longer have the best players, they no longer chase and head hunt the best players, they no longer have the best coaching, they no longer set the standard of operating as a club, they no longer set the standard for playing on the field, they no longer innovate on the field, etc.

If a club is no longer doing these things then how can they still be considered at the top of their respective leagues.

No, neither dont operate at the levels they should. I still think regardless of that the people in charge still expect and believe that what they are doing is going to have them challenging.

No, neither dont operate at the levels they should. I still think regardless of that the people in charge still expect and believe that what they are doing is going to have them challenging.
The people in charge can expect all they want, but they are also the ones that have full control over where the club heads and if the club isn't doing what they want it to do then they have the power to change things.

Any decision they make to change or to not change things is on them and so is the direction of the club...

If they want to sack Kevvie, then whatever, but if that doesn't move the club forward and just ends up resulting in more years of nothing, despite being the biggest fucking club in the league that they're operating in, then at some point the focus needs to be put on how the club is being run.

I have always feared kevvie got too caught up in this entertaining brand of “broncos football” that he’s neglected the fundamentals it was all built upon. The phins play more like the broncos of old than we do.

Even last season, we were doing all the same stupid things, pushing passes, failing to get to kicks, putting everything on a low percentage play instead of building any pressure & wearing down the opposition. Just a lack of any general game management or awareness that comes with being a footy player. Individual freak athleticism bailed us out in a lot games, we could be playing ordinary for 60mins and then grab a few quick try’s off a piece of long range skill & athleticism and run away with the game. It both got us a big lead in the GF and then lost it for us. This season they have played much the same, but the freak athletes haven’t always been there to bail us out & through frustration we would push more passes & just dig ourselves deeper. We have no consistency in performance because we don’t have that grounding to fall back on, we live & die on individual performances.

The wk1 final last year against Melbourne is the best we have played under kevvie, they went out and executed a disciplined game plan where everyone bought in & played their role, that should be the team we want to be and it shows that kevvie is capable of coaching it.

I always wanted the coach to have no association with the club.

In saying all that, I do wonder how many losses it would take to cost kevvie his job, because it’s not out of the realms of possibility that we don’t find another win for a while, if at all. There just isn’t the gimme games there once was, and losing does become a habit as they drop confidence & morale. Reyno being injured probably buys him some sympathy, but it would have a limit. The bigger issue is probably finding anyone better.

In saying all that, I do wonder how many losses it would take to cost kevvie his job, because it’s not out of the realms of possibility that we don’t find another win for a while, if at all. There just isn’t the gimme games there once was, and losing does become a habit as they drop confidence & morale. Reyno being injured probably buys him some sympathy, but it would have a limit. The bigger issue is probably finding anyone better.
We can’t keep ignoring the big losing streaks kevvie’s had in his time as coach at the broncos. Seibold was marched for similar results.

Once again ridiculous to sink the boot in when the coach could barely string together 17 players. I really don’t know what people were expecting tonight with that side we put out there.
Being down on talent simply means there's less capability for the big plays, less individual brilliance, defense not being as good.

It doesn't make players throw forward passes. Give away 7 penalties in the first half. Silly turn-over errors.

It doesn't stop regular top 17 players from being nowhere to be found when a player makes a half break - not putting in the 1%ers.

It is however another example of an outfit thats:

- Not at an elite level of fitness. [Coaching issue]
- Not drilling their players enough to minimise errors. [Coaching issue]
- Our attack has looked out to sea all year when ARey isn't playing. We score generally through individual brilliance rather than good structured play. [Coaching issue]
- Even when we can field our top 17 - sans ARey, we still aren't making and average of 45+m a set and ARey isn't going to fix that stat. [Coaching issue]
- Another in an increasingly long line of games now where we've conceded 3 tries inside of 10 minutes. It's becoming our thing now. [Mentally weak]

Any decent coach should be able to at least improve these issues - but we're looking just as shit today as we looked in round 1.

We had a tilt last year and it's like everyone took the foot off the gas, coming into this year expecting it all to just happen. Not realising, we fell short because we weren't good enough and we needed to go harder.

Discipline has been shit.

Fitness is well behind other clubs.

We can't wrestle/slow down the ruck like other clubs - there's a technique issue or something, we're getting caught out and it's destroying our possession to the point where not conceeding penalties/six agains and hanging onto the fucking ball should be the only thing trained outside of fitness for about a fucking month. You can't win anything spending the whole damn game in your own half.

These are issues ANY player in the top 30 should be able to improve on and contribute to.

I am starting to think that Kev may rue the day he put signing his son over securing Mozer and sadly so will we. If we don't make the 8 or fall out week one and Mozer signs elsewhere, Kev in my opinion will be let go. Our win loss since he was resigned has been terrible.

Some of these issues should of been improved when the players were playing junior footy.

A NRL coach should not be having to drill the players into how not to make a error or to stay onside or to tackle someone below the shoulders. If that's what we need then we should be hiring a under 8's coach.

Not having the ball is our biggest problem which is caused by this dumb shit that we do which is on the players not Kevs coaching ability.

Once again ridiculous to sink the boot in when the coach could barely string together 17 players. I really don’t know what people were expecting tonight with that side we put out there.
True but remember it’s sometimes that piece of straw that broke the camels back

I defended Kev’s position earlier in this thread, saying that after what he achieved last season he will be given another year after this at least to prove himself.

However the pressure would definitely be starting to mount. Currently sitting at 13th. Plenty of winnable games ahead, and should get a lot of good players back. He’ll need to prove that it was just the injuries and unavailable players that caused the poor run by having some dominant performances once they’re back.

However even with his origin players things have not looked good so far. There’s a real chance that Kev finds himself in “first x amount of rounds to save his job next year” territory

Active Now

• john1420
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Gympie devil
  • johnny plath
  • Cavalo
  • upthebroncs
  • Elcapitano20
  • Gaz
  • Hoof Hearted
  • broncoscope
  • Waynesaurus
  • FACTHUNT
  • Alec
  • azza.79
  • Midean
  • Wolfie
  • Tristan1990
  • lynx000
  • NSW stables
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.