THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Has Kevvie lost the dressing room?
Yep, you can tell by his remark about mozer, he’s trying to cover already. The boys know how they played when he came on.
If his continual selection of his son is an issue with the players, especially those who are mates with Mozer (most of them), it's possible there's some grumbling. It's hard not to revisit the comments by Cobbo and Gamble.

A convincing win would help squash talk like this.

Ok correction to my original post, no rational person of relevance would go down arguing this.
No argument from me on sports journalism in any media form. It's just fluff.

I just watched the presser, I’m not as concerned by the Mozer comments as others are. Seemed pretty par for the course given the context. Kev did give him a wrap when pushed.

The rest of the presser was more concerning to me. Looked lost for answers. Seemed to agree with us all, and that is, he says the same thing every week about the errors, discipline and dumb decision with little changing - and that the blame lies at his feet.

@Culhwch @Manofoneway @BroncosFever @lynx000

Don't go on social media today if you're easily triggered:

Let’s say for arguments sake Kevvie won’t drop his son, what exactly has Smoothy done to demand his spot over Mozer?

Basically, the pressure is on Kevvie now to include the kid after he did what we’ve all been wanting him to do and knock the door down. Isn’t this basically what Kevvie has been trying to do with our kids by having them develop in lower grades so that the day comes like this where they show they are finally ready.

Let’s give Kevvie a chance to name the kid next week before we go off about him not being named.

Once again ridiculous to sink the boot in when the coach could barely string together 17 players. I really don’t know what people were expecting tonight with that side we put out there.

I'm not particularly bothered about results with the weakened sides we have put out. You have to expect you wont win games with so many players out. I'm concerned we look very poorly coached in terms of just us not doing the basics.

I keep saying it, but we have no structure to this team. We made that final last year on the back of fun, exciting razzle dazzle high risk football. If that doesnt work, what we have to fall back on just doesnt seem resilient enough. What we need to get the blokes doing now is basically Bennett ball. Take your runs, make your tackles, do your job for the team and just compete. You can build from that.

The criticism I've seen is that he had to be pushed three times to answer the question.
I can get why a coach wouldn’t want to be baited into a discussion about a good 20 minutes from a highly hyped young player who still has a lot of development in front of him after the 5th humiliating loss in a row.

I think most coaches would’ve similarly minimised that chat. It was awkward that he used it as a chance to praise Billy though.

Actions will speak louder than words. We’ll see what happens next week.

There was a moment where the journo was saying that changes needed to be made, implying Mozer’s selection ongoing is one required change, and Kev seemingly pushed back on that by saying “no changes can be made” which to me felt like Kev missed that point of the question. So Kev made it sound like Mozer isn’t seen as a required change, when really he was saying the team will be exactly the same as there’s no one else to choose - so he actually agreed that Mozer would be back next week.

Mozer does need to be told that if he finishes to year strong and has a good preseason he will be playing NRL next year. As promising as he is, we can’t just keep sacrificing experience for potential. Mariner is a great example of being promoted full time too soon. Going all in on Piakura so early in his career is a mistake too.

I'm not particularly bothered about results with the weakened sides we have put out. You have to expect you wont win games with so many players out. I'm concerned we look very poorly coached in terms of just us not doing the basics.

I keep saying it, but we have no structure to this team. We made that final last year on the back of fun, exciting razzle dazzle high risk football. If that doesnt work, what we have to fall back on just doesnt seem resilient enough. What we need to get the blokes doing now is basically Bennett ball. Take your runs, make your tackles, do your job for the team and just compete. You can build from that.

We also made it on the back of high error rates and players building combinations due to almost no injuries.

I’m not a fan of how we are going and the stupid errors that keep on happening but I refuse to believe any coach, even a useless one, would not be trying their hardest to get players to get the errors out of their game. Kevvie isn’t the one out there dropping balls again and again.

And the thing is, these dropped balls are basic skill errors, it isn’t even like it’s from passes or offloads being pushed that aren’t there and I feel like that’s improved on last year. Unfortunately basic skills still suck.

Let’s say for arguments sake Kevvie won’t drop his son, what exactly has Smoothy done to demand his spot over Mozer?

Basically, the pressure is on Kevvie now to include the kid after he did what we’ve all been wanting him to do and knock the door down. Isn’t this basically what Kevvie has been trying to do with our kids by having them develop in lower grades so that the day comes like this where they show they are finally ready.

Let’s give Kevvie a chance to name the kid next week before we go off about him not being named.
In my opinion Walters and Smoothy are basically the same value. Walters has more of a noticeable impact at times, while Smoothy has better service and does the fundamentals better.

Personally I prefer Smoothy’s consistent approach over Walters’ more highs and lows approach given how erratic the rest of the team already is but wouldn’t feel strongly if others preferred the opposite.

I don't use social media in general, I don't get off on pushing an agenda and then coming back 3 weeks later "yeah I told you guys, I was right all along".
No, you would need to be right in the first place to do that.

We had problems before the Titans game. They've been stuck to the bottom of the ladder for possession, completions and errors all season long. Even when winning early on it was common to hear after a game that they had no right to win based off the stats. That's great for an odd game here and there but worrying if it's the norm. So things probably needed to be addressed earlier than the Titans. Maybe the "Broncos Footy" style meant things were allowed to drift longer than they should have?

Stats say we are a bottom 4 side and I think it's more likely that's where we finish than in the 8.

We had problems before the Titans game. They've been stuck to the bottom of the ladder for possession, completions and errors all season long. Even when winning early on it was common to hear after a game that they had no right to win based off the stats. That's great for an odd game here and there but worrying if it's the norm. So things probably needed to be addressed earlier than the Titans. Maybe the "Broncos Footy" style meant things were allowed to drift longer than they should have?

Stats say we are a bottom 4 side and I think it's more likely that's where we finish than in the 8.

I get the sense Kevvie would have loved to have held players accountable and dropped some of the error magnets but he hasn’t got anyone else to call on, what was out there last night is all that’s left.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • barker
  • Sanjit Joseph
  • Spooky1013
  • Fitzy
  • spanky
  • thenry
  • ettybay
  • broncos4life
  • teampjta
  • Robboi_321
  • Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.