THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
The only success we've had in our history is under Wayne and that's probably because he looked after absolutely everything.

Early on in our history we had football intelligence in the upper management and through the ownership... then they went to Melbourne... but Bennett controlled everything.

If we're still operating under the same model then we will need a coach that can do everything... so scratch off any rookie coach

Were there reports back in 2018 that Bennett presented a plan to the board that he would coach for 2 more years, hand it over to Demetriou and then step back into a head of coaching type role?

I know the broncos wanted him to go straight back into a head of football role, but there were already too many knives in his back at that point and he told them to shove it
Knives sure, but it was what was best for Brisbane. At some point the Club had to stop worrying about what Wayne wanted and focus on what Brisbane wanted. It's not like he's won a comp since 2010 anyway.

Kevvie has to be given the offseason. There has been too much contributing factors to really see if this is a result of Kevvie’s coaching or lack thereof. The shortened preseason, Vegas trip, injuries and more importantly in game injuries.

We’ve seen what this team can do when there are no injuries, we were a damn good team last year, but we have inexperience in the spine and an inexperienced head coach.

I’m happy for Kevvie to be given next year, but winning is a must.
Let’s hope he’s prepared to be tough on them. I agree for the most part but I fear the next 5 weeks will make it impossible for him to keep his job.

Knives sure, but it was what was best for Brisbane. At some point the Club had to stop worrying about what Wayne wanted and focus on what Brisbane wanted. It's not like he's won a comp since 2010 anyway.
I agree that we had to move on from him being coach, because there's only so long that can last... although he's still going 6yrs after he was sacked by broncos and just signed a 3yr deal ... it was more that he proposed to be in the background and run the football department, which is something I think the club desperately needs.

I agree that we had to move on from him being coach, because there's only so long that can last... although he's still going 6yrs after he was sacked by broncos and just signed a 3yr deal ... it was more that he proposed to be in the background and run the football department, which is something I think the club desperately needs.
Brian Smith went 20 years after he got destroyed by 92-93 Brisbane, too. Tenure doesn't always mean success - although I will give him credit for reaching 4 GF's which admittedly we'd kill for right about now.

Madge is the only option of the current candidates imo.
The club wouldn’t go with an inexperienced head coach so that rules out the likes of Hennay.
Slater couldn’t deal with the pressure, we saw him get flustered through the origin campaign and we know this job is relentless.

I don’t know how many of these boys would be able to deal with Madge though tbh, he seems like a hardass and this team has way too many ‘boys’ so I think that would really divide the group.

But let’s be honest, the club will give Kev at least next year, unfortunately.

Kevvie has to be given the offseason. There has been too much contributing factors to really see if this is a result of Kevvie’s coaching or lack thereof. The shortened preseason, Vegas trip, injuries and more importantly in game injuries.

We’ve seen what this team can do when there are no injuries, we were a damn good team last year, but we have inexperience in the spine and an inexperienced head coach.

I thought Kev was improving, until this year. Nothing has actually changed and it looks like last year was a fluke based on our natural skill level , lack of injury and a lot going our way. We are looking no better than the year he took over which means when the going got tough the boys have had no systems to fall back on. We are a team filled with luxury loving rock stars it appears.

Kev has gone back to poor use of bench, making players play for 80 mins each week, picking underperforming players and making little sense in press conferences. I think at some point we will find out that Kev is similar to JD where players go and chat to him and never really understand where they stand or what he actually wants from them because he is trying to placate them instead of giving them the truth.

Next year he will be on thin ice and the fans will be waiting with knives when it breaks.

I think the on field product speaks for itself. A better coach could get far more success out of this roster than KW.

He believes he's done the right thing by filling the squad with as much talent as he can but he has no idea how to make it all come together and ultimately that's his job.

Kev being an old boy, I thought it was strange that Gordie came out & said the shit about Reynolds. And Gordie is an old boy.

Maybe Kev is worried that Reynolds has a bit of power amongst the players.

Or should I wear a tin foil hat.

I would like us to sign a coach who has actually won something before, as novel as that sounds…

We are the biggest club in the sport and our coaches outside of Wayne Bennett, is Henjak, Hook, Seibold & Walter’s… it’s fucking embarrassing.
Beware the hyped assisstant coach. That's the issue for any club wanting to change coaches. The more I think about the Titans the more genius that was. Kept it super quiet, knew their guy and pulled it off.
Posters saying get Bellamy or Bennett, please stop. They are not a possibility. Both have more money than they can spend so it won't be decided on a paycheque. They both have agreements in place, so there is that.
Slater has emphatically stated he is not looking for a full time NRL gig so he is out.
It doesn't leave much. Assisstant coaches are a guess which leaves Maguire, JD, Arthur, Holbrook.
If we want to have a guess and go down the promising assisstant route then Hornby, Dean Young and Hannay stand out.
IMO Kev stays on next year but the club needs to take the assisstant coach choices out of his hands.
I would have liked to see Cam Smith and JD on the list of possibilities but Ben Teo? please.
Soft as **** choice with little experience and poses no threat to Kevs job.
If anything Kev has all but guaranteed his last year will be 2025 if he gets that far.

Kev being an old boy, I thought it was strange that Gordie came out & said the shit about Reynolds. And Gordie is an old boy.

Gordie will say anything just to get the heat off Kev, he admitted as much. No-one should listen to a word that comes out of that bloke's mouth. Sad that a Broncos legend and ex-captain takes so much joy from our downfall, and he's not even the only one (Parker, cough).

Can we get Gus in to do a full footy department review please?

Gordie will be going all in on the players from here on out... it will be Gordie circa 2019/20 all over again.

They better be ready for some pelters to come their way

Our whole football dept structure needs changing. We are a massive club and need a head of football overseeing operations. There is no big picture strategic planning going on. I like Josh Hannay a lot and want him but he will fail without the right structures in place. It’s not enough to say we’ll get you good assistants to support you - there needs to be clear leadership in the department. It concerns me that this didn’t happen when Ikin was there - why were GM football and head coach both reporting directly to CEO? There’s no alignment there

I cant agree he has to be given the off season. While i think he should probably be terminated, him staying on for next year now for me depends on how we finish the year out. We have to show some fight, we have to show we can be compete, and we have to show we can actually just play basic football. If we can do that, i think we can afford to give him next year. If we collapse big time in another 2 or 3 out of our 4 games, he has to go for me.

We had a lot of bad luck this year, and Kev has alluded to that a few times. However we had equally good luck last year. We can’t take credit for the good and use the bad as an excuse.

What you can observes is the controllables, and they have been consistently poor for a number of seasons. Recruitment, game plan, retention, selections, interchange.

Beware the hyped assisstant coach. That's the issue for any club wanting to change coaches. The more I think about the Titans the more genius that was. Kept it super quiet, knew their guy and pulled it off.
Posters saying get Bellamy or Bennett, please stop. They are not a possibility. Both have more money than they can spend so it won't be decided on a paycheck. They both have agreements in place, so there is that.
Slater has emphatically stated he is not looking for a full time NRL gig so he is out.
It doesn't leave much. Assisstant coaches are a guess which leaves Maguire, JD, Arthur, Holbrook.
If we want to have a guess and go down the promising assisstant route then Hornby, Dean Young and Hannay stand out.
IMO Kev stays on next year but the club needs to take the assisstant coach choices out of his hands.
I would have liked to see Cam Smith and JD on the list of possibilities but Ben Teo? please.
Soft as **** choice with little experience and poses no threat to Kevs job.
If anything Kev has all but guaranteed his last year will be 2025 if he gets that far.

This in particular. I have no idea why people still bring him up tbh. He isn't coming...not for any price.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Brocko
  • broncsgoat
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Fozz
  • Galah
  • broncos4life
  • Skyblues87
  • phoenix
  • barker
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • upthebroncs
  • Scorchie
  • lakers133334
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Santa
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.