THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don’t think we can straight up sack 6 x premiership winner Kevin Walters. But I think they need to have a quiet chat with him about what’s best for the team and he needs to do the honourable thing…..

Kevvie should be kept at the club in some capacity, just not head coach or recruitment.

I don’t think we can straight up sack 6 x premiership winner Kevin Walters. But I think they need to have a quiet chat with him about what’s best for the team and he needs to do the honourable thing…..
This is dreaming.
Kev's son is the hooker. Wouldn't get a start in any other team. Gets picked every week. "Billy was good too".
His brother was the assistant coach until he was told to move him on. Hasn't since got a job with any other club.
Kev will not resign. He will not define what is unacceptable. He will just keep up with this "I love this club... I have been involved in five premierships ..." rubbish. Royce Simmons loves Penrith and is a club legend but didn't get anything like the rope that has been given to Kev as a coach, and Royce was moved on. Same thing needs to happen with Kev, this year.

Shooting him out of a cannon too harsh you reckon? We could have a marching band? Maybe raffle off which lucky fan gets to light the fuse?

Or maybe we could just send him on a professional development trip somewhere overseas and just leave him there, he can come back if he ever finds any…?

Well last week I said if we get flogged again, I’d be very concerned and so I am very concerned. I don’t think Kevvie is the only problem though but he certainly is part of it.

Look at what Seesbums is doing at Manly, they are being able to put in to practice at least some of the things he is saying because they seem to have some kind of intelligence.

I don’t think players should be getting a free pass here either, they are clearly just dumb and some hard decisions are going to need to be made now. I don’t like the idea and never have of just sacking the coach because the players suck.

That said, Kevvie is in trouble and so he should be. I don’t know for sure where it has all gone wrong but the speed it has done so is the biggest worry.

Right now coaching is a huge issue, players taking short cuts is a huge issue - they don’t even look like they like each other, conditioning has been an issue all year and recruitment continues to be abysmal.

Among the hard decisions need to be getting a new conditioning coach, bringing on board an assistant who we think has the potential to be next head coach and I’m thinking both Hannah and Hornsby, hey maybe sack Kev and give these two plus whoever else is highly rated a legit chance at getting the job.

The answer is not Michael Maguire - he would be an awful fit for this team, he’d lose them in the very first session he ran. I would like at some point to take a punt on a highly regarded rookie coach, we need to take a risk.

We also need to look at recruitment as mentioned, I’d be trying to get Sexton and some legit hard workers. If Walker were possible, throw everything at him but that’s a pipe dream. That said, if you need to give up a Staggs or even a Haas to do it, do it.

We need to re-sign Willison ASAP. It would also be nice to announce Oates as weeklong and extension me for Mozer, Te Kurt and Walsh but not on 1.5, it’s too salary cap imbalancing.

And I really hope we’ve signed Skelton as rumoured but given we haven’t made any signing announcements whatsoever, I doubt it. He should go a long way to solving our slack back five issue. As talented as they are, you can’t have Staggs, Mariner and Cobbo all in the same backline, they don’t work hard enough early in sets and all three seem really dumb.

I’d be looking very carefully at the futures of all of Hetherington, Reynolds, Cobbo, Staggs and even Haas purely in terms of how much salary cap he takes up. I’m also not sure what to do with Jensen but Willison should start next year and Te Kura on to the bench.

Some big changes are needed, I’m just not sure they should include Kevvie yet but these last two losses are on track to making it unavoidable. If the team doesn’t respond in the remaining games then I think Kevvie is gone. How sad.

Shooting him out of a cannon too harsh you reckon? We could have a marching band? Maybe raffle off which lucky fan gets to light the fuse?

Or maybe we could just send him on a professional development trip somewhere overseas and just leave him there, he can come back if he ever finds any…?
Well we didn’t even have a press conference for him when he was hired so maybe he just quietly exit as well.

The teams on the bottom of the ladder,
Tigers,
Parra &
Souffs who are lead by Benji, Barrett & Hornby have all have some sort of structures to which their playing group stick to & toil hard for a win.
Barring Barrett, Benji & Hornby are rookie coaches who are going great.

Tigers players are young too like ours but the mongrel, grit & willingness to play as a team speak a lot about Benji’s rookie year as a coach. For mine, Tigers are on the up and destined for some good times ahead.

It’s really depressing that we rely heavily on miracle plays and not do hard yakka at all. Conditioning, coaching, recruitment & retention are dog shit and abysmal. If Kev wants to continue coaching, he must put up his hand right away and seek all the help he can get in every aspect of coaching.
If he doesn’t, DD must initiate those conversations come Monday morning.

Defence is a mindset. Our defence is passive and weak. Good teams move off the line and hit in defence where as we stay static and wait for the attackers to get to us then grab and try to hold the player to slow down the play the ball. As a result every team we play are looking to either offload at will or get quick play the balls. Look at Payne Haas during Origin, he was tackling with venom then back at the Broncos he defends like a pillow. We also look like we are not fit and it shows.

Every week we seem to be the dumbest football team in the comp. Cobbo being taken into touch nearly every week, persisting with short drop outs and kick offs despite us being abysmal at them, Walsh going for a hail mary pass every second time he gets the ball. Piakura and Mariner with their poor defensive reads. All things that a coach should address but hasn't.

Player selection and interchanges is the same. I know Kevvie's hand has been forced by injury but Billy is a poor dummy half. Don't get me wrong he tries hard but isn't up to NRL standard. His passing is poor and he looks like a half trying to defend in the middle. For example against the Titans in the first half we are attacking the line, it's the end of the set Reynolds is going to put a kick in behind the line then receives the pass above his head, to his credit he manages to catch the ball but has to stop and regain his balance before kicking which makes the outside players have to check their run to not be offside which allows the Titans to easily handle the kick. Everyone has a bad pass every now and then but with Billy it happens multiple times a game. I don't think Mozer is ready to start games yet but you can see that Billy is gassed around the 20 minute mark yet is often left on until after half time. Dropping Billy isn't going to get us winning again but you have to start somewhere and he isn't an NRL standard dummy half. To those that think he is, would any other team in the comp swap their 9 for Billy?

A good hard look needs to be taken out our retention team. Losing Flegler and then replacing him with Baker was a disaster. Having 4 hookers on the books is a salary cap disaster.

I was a big fan of Kevvie coming on board as coach but it now looks to be a failed experiment.

It’s gonna be the manner in which this season ends that will force the clubs hand surely. The club and heck even the old boys need to have frank discussions with themselves and with Kevvie. Can’t possibly justify not making wholesale changes on the back of another implosion. He’s either a boss or a pretend boss who lets the players run the show.

Well last week I said if we get flogged again, I’d be very concerned and so I am very concerned. I don’t think Kevvie is the only problem though but he certainly is part of it.

Look at what Seesbums is doing at Manly, they are being able to put in to practice at least some of the things he is saying because they seem to have some kind of intelligence.

I don’t think players should be getting a free pass here either, they are clearly just dumb and some hard decisions are going to need to be made now. I don’t like the idea and never have of just sacking the coach because the players suck.

That said, Kevvie is in trouble and so he should be. I don’t know for sure where it has all gone wrong but the speed it has done so is the biggest worry.

Right now coaching is a huge issue, players taking short cuts is a huge issue - they don’t even look like they like each other, conditioning has been an issue all year and recruitment continues to be abysmal.

Among the hard decisions need to be getting a new conditioning coach, bringing on board an assistant who we think has the potential to be next head coach and I’m thinking both Hannah and Hornsby, hey maybe sack Kev and give these two plus whoever else is highly rated a legit chance at getting the job.

The answer is not Michael Maguire - he would be an awful fit for this team, he’d lose them in the very first session he ran. I would like at some point to take a punt on a highly regarded rookie coach, we need to take a risk.

We also need to look at recruitment as mentioned, I’d be trying to get Sexton and some legit hard workers. If Walker were possible, throw everything at him but that’s a pipe dream. That said, if you need to give up a Staggs or even a Haas to do it, do it.

We need to re-sign Willison ASAP. It would also be nice to announce Oates as weeklong and extension me for Mozer, Te Kurt and Walsh but not on 1.5, it’s too salary cap imbalancing.

And I really hope we’ve signed Skelton as rumoured but given we haven’t made any signing announcements whatsoever, I doubt it. He should go a long way to solving our slack back five issue. As talented as they are, you can’t have Staggs, Mariner and Cobbo all in the same backline, they don’t work hard enough early in sets and all three seem really dumb.

I’d be looking very carefully at the futures of all of Hetherington, Reynolds, Cobbo, Staggs and even Haas purely in terms of how much salary cap he takes up. I’m also not sure what to do with Jensen but Willison should start next year and Te Kura on to the bench.

Some big changes are needed, I’m just not sure they should include Kevvie yet but these last two losses are on track to making it unavoidable. If the team doesn’t respond in the remaining games then I think Kevvie is gone. How sad.
Good post, Sproj. Definitely could’ve squeezed a list in there.

To be clear I’m not at all excusing the playing group. They are a huge issue. Kev just isn’t the guy to fix it. You made a lot of good points.

I don’t want to keep talking about our ex, but we need someone to do what Wayne did in his second stint. He booted the players who had all the potential but none of the heart - like Barba and Hoffman.

We are lucky in the sense that teams would line up for some of our on contract players. I don’t have all the information to make the tough decision but Haas, Mam, Cobbo, Staggs, Mariner, Piakura and even Walsh are all players other teams would gladly swap some honest toilers for. Great players to have one or two of in your team but a disaster to make up such a significant part of your squad.

You could almost afford the whole 2023 Dolphins team with Haas, Piskura, Cobbo, and Staggs contracts.

I’ve been concerned since the first titans loss because all the signs from yesterday were already there.
Personnel changes were never going to solve a bad attitude, if anything KW saying to the media every week that everything would be fine when Arey returned just reinforced that our bad habits were acceptable.
We either need someone who can completely turn the attitude of the team around (dreaming) or we are going to need wholesale changes. Aside from Haas, Carrigan, Walsh and some of the young guys our entire squad is expendable.

This is dreaming.
Kev's son is the hooker. Wouldn't get a start in any other team. Gets picked every week. "Billy was good too".
His brother was the assistant coach until he was told to move him on. Hasn't since got a job with any other club.
Kev will not resign. He will not define what is unacceptable. He will just keep up with this "I love this club... I have been involved in five premierships ..." rubbish. Royce Simmons loves Penrith and is a club legend but didn't get anything like the rope that has been given to Kev as a coach, and Royce was moved on. Same thing needs to happen with Kev, this year.
FMD, I actually had repressed the memory of him hiring his brother 🫠

No to a rookie coach. Every single coach we’ve had post Bennett has been a rookie and has been shit.

No to a rookie coach. Every single coach we’ve had post Bennett has been a rookie and has been shit.
Who are the non rookies that are available though? Not sure repeated failures are any better an idea than a rookie…

Unread

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • Sproj
  • Redux
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Santa
  • Hurrijo
  • Footy Fanatic
  • lynx000
  • Harry Sack
  • Alec
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.