THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
I reckon its pretty basic stuff for him to pick up. I know he cops a lot of crap for how he finished up here, but Boyd was a pretty good fullback before his body collapsed on him. I wonder how much fullback work he does with Walsh.
Isn't he the outside backs coach?? I'd say he's doing a lot

To be fair to Walsh though, Corey Oates has been fucking pathetic, so I can’t blame him for blasting him.

Walsh makes too many errors, but he is also the only way we score any points at all…
Oates was probably the only guy on that left hand side that gave a shit and was trying.
He may not have the skill set of the other guys out there but if they all put in like he does we would be winning a lot more games.

I reckon its pretty basic stuff for him to pick up. I know he cops a lot of crap for how he finished up here, but Boyd was a pretty good fullback before his body collapsed on him. I wonder how much fullback work he does with Walsh.
A lot of what we do poorly is pretty basic stuff, which is why we are where we are…

Isn't he the outside backs coach?? I'd say he's doing a lot

From what i know, it was mainly him doing things like set plays and stuff with them rather than working say with Reece on his fullback play. Something i'll try to find out about. I know he doesnt work full time.

From what i know, it was mainly him doing things like set plays and stuff with them rather than working say with Reece on his fullback play. Something i'll try to find out about. I know he doesnt work full time.
I would've thought the main reason you have Boyd in camp is to teach Walsh about fullback play.

Boyd was actually taught modern rugby league and modern fullback defence... he was also one of the safest players under the high ball during his career and could finish 3v2's all day.

He's a great example of a manufactured fullback, which should be perfect as a teacher

I would've thought the main reason you have Boyd in camp is to teach Walsh about fullback play.

Boyd was actually taught modern rugby league and modern fullback defence... he was also one of the safest players under the high ball during his career and could finish 3v2's all day.

He's a great example of a manufactured fullback, which should be perfect as a teacher
Id have Darius working just with Reece and then just positioning for the sweep plays for the other backs.
For the centres and wingers I would be getting someone like Yoh Yeh in to teach the blokes to play like he did.

I'll just leave this here

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 27
Id have Darius working just with Reece and then just positioning for the sweep plays for the other backs.
For the centres and wingers I would be getting someone like Yoh Yeh in to teach the blokes to play like he did.
The outside backs need to be taught how to get between tacklers on yardage sets, getting low and finding their front for quick ptbs, and then the next one lining up to do exactly the same... outside backs in yardage creating momentum is a staple of modern league

As a Souths fan it pains me to say it, but I reckon Madge would do wonders with your lot. I'm not sure though some of em would survive the pre-season training and Madge's hard arsed approach. Would certainly weed out most of the pea hearts currently playing for you though.

Madge is a pipe dream I’d reckon. I don’t actually believe he’s the right guy for us anyway. Pickings are slim if we do make a move on Walters.

The outside backs need to be taught how to get between tacklers on yardage sets, getting low and finding their front for quick ptbs, and then the next one lining up to do exactly the same... outside backs in yardage creating momentum is a staple of modern league

The best outside backs at doing this, generally, are built like brick shithouses. Short with strong hips and a thick midsection to bend the line forward and get to their front. NFL running backs are the perfect example of what you need - get low with rapid and short powerful leg drive.

They call it pad level. The low man wins the contact. Rugby does the same.

We don't have it. Oates used to. It totally throws me off that some in NRL think running upright and tall is smart.

Boyd was an excellent fullback, he was victim of going round one or two to many seasons. Its sickening watching the fans unload on him like he was some plodder.

The best outside backs at doing this, generally, are built like brick shithouses. Short with strong hips and a thick midsection to bend the line forward and get to their front. NFL running backs are the perfect example of what you need - get low with rapid and short powerful leg drive.

They call it pad level. The low man wins the contact. Rugby does the same. It totally throws me off that some in NRL think running upright and tall is smart.
Penrith have somehow got a conveyor belt of powerlifters with marathon lungs to fulfil that role for them, but it's not always the case.

Herbie is one of the best in the league at it and he's like 190cm... rorters wingers are always giants, but Robbo lives off momentum being generated through the middle by his outside backs of dummy half runs. Lomax another through origin.

Storm have Coates, who did run upright and get folded all the time, but has been coached to get between tacklers and at least makes some meters.. he also puts his hand up all the time to take a run.

Jesse for us is great at getting between tackles and does find his way moving forward a lot... he just doesn't take enough hit ups.

Staggs on the other hand is stocky and built pretty low to the ground, but he looks for contact instead of trying to get between tacklers... and if it doesn't work for him and starts getting driven back a lot.

I think if more were taught how to run like Jesse does then we would be far more successful... especially a guy like Staggs. Mariner has made some breaks in recent weeks because he's used power and hitting the gap between tacklers to just burst through.

Every week we’re asking the same questions. Every week we’re out-fought, out-thought and embarrassed in stats, possession, line speed, tackle busts, penalties….. every aspect of the game.

You can forgive losing a game because the opposition are just better than you, but that 2nd half today…….

This has to stop and it has to stop now. Unfortunately the only way that can happen is if you give the responsibility to someone else.

Kev, you’ve had your chance, but you have come up short. Resign. Do it with respect for yourself, but more importantly the fans. You’re not up for the fight, and that shows in your teams passive, weak hearted defensive desire. Just go man.

Penrith have somehow got a conveyor belt of powerlifters with marathon lungs to fulfil that role for them, but it's not always the case.

Herbie is one of the best in the league at it and he's like 190cm... rorters wingers are always giants, but Robbo lives off momentum being generated through the middle by his outside backs of dummy half runs. Lomax another through origin.

Storm have Coates, who did run upright and get folded all the time, but has been coached to get between tacklers and at least makes some meters.. he also puts his hand up all the time to take a run.

Jesse for us is great at getting between tackles and does find his way moving forward a lot... he just doesn't take enough hit ups.

Staggs on the other hand is stocky and built pretty low to the ground, but he looks for contact instead of trying to get between tacklers... and if it doesn't work for him and starts getting driven back a lot.

I think if more were taught how to run like Jesse does then we would be far more successful... especially a guy like Staggs. Mariner has made some breaks in recent weeks because he's used power and hitting the gap between tacklers to just burst through.
You're right. Intelligence and coaching is needed to make it successful. Somehow Arthars has it, but Staggs, Mariner, and Cobbo (???) don't. Oates is wearing 2 left boots this year. Maybe Staggs is a product of the kick chase system? I don't know. That Penrith system is just magic though.

Unread

Active Now

• Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.