THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not if we keep playing like this and lose out. The goodwill will be well and truly gone and his position will be untenable imo. It's diabolical at the moment. If they begin to show signs of improvement I can see it.
Even if we continue to perform poorly till the end of the season I just can’t see the club sacking him after being in a GF last year.

Obviously 2022 was different because we weren’t coming from such a strong position in 2021, but he’s shown that he can bounce back (2023) from a poor end to season (2022).

Donaghy doesn’t seem like the person to jump to quick decisions, I think he likes to play the long game therefore I think it’s more likely Kev gets 2025 to redeem himself.

Did all the 16 teams got the voodoo doll out and started cursing us. This season has been poor as **** I mean I have been 4 matches two wins and two loses. Hopefully Kevvie can pull miracle for next year. Look at my mum's team back to back wooden spoons number 3 this year for team 2022, 2023 probably 2024

I think Kevvie deserves another year because:

1. He actually came up with a system that dominated the season. We pumped the Storm in a semi final and was the closest any team has been to beating Penrith during their reign.

2. He has seen this year how that successful system he created last year can only work when players are in form, there are only a few non-serious injuries, there is consistency in the playing group and a bond from sinking so low the year before.

3. He needs to be given the opportunity to restructure his coaching style that allows for the team to use those elements that made them successful, but also have something to fall back on when things aren't going their way, essentially winning 'gritty' and getting dirty.

Just listening to Corey Parkey on his SEN redio segment on the wireless this morning, and boy oh boy did he let loose on you blokes. Amongst his observations:

- Reece Walsh's spray to Corey Oates is a demonstration of the disharmony in the playing group
- senior players should have pulled him into line
- the team is getting what they deserve this year
- must be a review and overhaul of everything to do with the club and organisation
- the place is full of 'yes men'
- no accountability anywhere in the team/club

Quite a brutal critique from Corey.

1. He actually came up with a system that dominated the season.

The system seems to have a rather large downside tho demonstrated this year, because we have so much reliance on individual brilliance, if we cop injuries to our star players/point scorers or their form is down then we seem to be royally screwed with no backup plan.

There is no next man up situation, the plan falls apart in a major way without the quality on the field, the system has no built in resilience, it hedges everything on our star players, it's all in or bust.

Seriously though, how many times this year have teams scored 1 try against us and then it all breaks down and that turns into 3-4 unanswered tries. Kinda like the grand final.
We’ve had this problem for years, it was just hidden by our attacking brilliance last year. I’ve always been sceptical of KW’s long term success because of our poor fundamentals. For anyone who has watched league as long I have, it was clear it was going to catch up with us.

Just listening to Corey Parkey on his SEN redio segment on the wireless this morning, and boy oh boy did he let loose on you blokes. Amongst his observations:

- Reece Walsh's spray to Corey Oates is a demonstration of the disharmony in the playing group
- must be a review and overhaul of everything to do with the club and organisation

Youse blokes, get it right.

1. He actually came up with a system that dominated the season. We pumped the Storm in a semi final and was the closest any team has been to beating Penrith during their reign.

2. He has seen this year how that successful system he created last year can only work when players are in form, there are only a few non-serious injuries, there is consistency in the playing group and a bond from sinking so low the year before.

3. He needs to be given the opportunity to restructure his coaching style that allows for the team to use those elements that made them successful, but also have something to fall back on when things aren't going their way, essentially winning 'gritty' and getting dirty.
There is a reason most coaches who fall in a deep hole get sacked. They are part of the reason the team ended up in the hole, the lack of skills that lead to the hole are the same skills lacking that are required to get out of the hole. Things just don’t magically improve overnight. Fixing someone else’s mess is one thing, fixing your own is a completely different set of skills. To assume that because he did well last year means he has what it takes for long term success is naive. Many coaches have had short term success that can’t be replicated. For KW to survive, he will need to show some improvement to close out the year.

So basically a usual Parker rant.

If Parker wants a gig in coaching he's "gone" have to bite down on the mouthguard.

The system seems to have a rather large downside tho demonstrated this year, because we have so much reliance on individual brilliance, if we cop injuries to our star players/point scorers or their form is down then we seem to be royally screwed with no backup plan.

There is no next man up situation, the plan falls apart in a major way without the quality on the field, the system has no built in resilience, it hedges everything on our star players, it's all in or bust.
Which is why I think he should be given the offseason to modify the structure and see how he goes. He has shown before he can turn teams around after a poor end to the season.

Nah he's in get Kevvie sacked mode... because then he can then try to get a job from whoever takes over.
I think he is still privately disappointed Kev didnt ring him when he got appointed to get him to stay on at the club after the Siebold era. Apparently Kev didnt want an assistant just going around and calling everyone shit coaching the team.

There is a reason most coaches who fall in a deep hole get sacked. They are part of the reason the team ended up in the hole, the lack of skills that lead to the hole are the same skills lacking that are required to get out of the hole. Things just don’t magically improve overnight. Fixing someone else’s mess is one thing, fixing your own is a completely different set of skills. To assume that because he did well last year means he has what it takes for long term success is naive. Many coaches have had short term success that can’t be replicated. For KW to survive, he will need to show some improvement to close out the year.
I still think with fresh eyes in the assistant coaching roles Kevvie can turn it around like he did last year. I think he's built up enough good will to be given the offseason, but the team will need to start the year off on fire for that goodwill to continue.

I still think with fresh eyes in the assistant coaching roles Kevvie can turn it around like he did last year. I think he's built up enough good will to be given the offseason, but the team will need to start the year off on fire for that goodwill to continue.
That’s a very balanced and reasonable view and I really hope you are correct.
I’m a bit of a pessimist and cynic. Everything I have ever seen watching Rugby League the last 30 years tells me he won’t be able to turn it around. No one will be happier than me if I’m wrong.
Either way, without a suitable replacement and a change in attitude regarding recruitment and retention, sacking him will achieve nothing except give some temporary relief anyway.

Active Now

• Griffo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Aldo
  • Harry Sack
  • RolledOates
  • kman
  • Financeguy
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncos4life
  • theshed
  • Wolfie
  • leish107
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • Evander
  • Lurker
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.