THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mike Dirnt No GIF by Green Day

I'll end it here with this nonsense, but you clearly said HIS referring to Kevvie doubling his points tally. Clearly moving the goal posts when its been proved he didnt. You obviously should have said he doubled Seibold/Gentle's points tally. That would have been accurate. Now you are going back to a previous coach because you got it wrong.
no actually, I said he doubled the broncos win%. I never said he doubled his own win% (even though he almost did between 2021-2023). I cant point it out any more clearly

2020- 3 wins (starting point from seibold, before kevy got here)
2021 - 7 wins (over 100% improvement on the previous year)
2022 - 12 wins (slightly less than 100% on the previous year)
2023 - 20 wins (slightly less than 100% on the previous year) GF

Ciraldo

2022 - 7 wins (starting point from Barrett)
2023 - 7 wins (0% increase)
2024 - ? wins (certainly not 20)

I am not saying Ciraldo is not a good coach, hes a fantastic coach - Remarkable turn around. Even if the dogs shit the bed next year, he would not deserve to be sacked. I hold the same opinion of kevy.

Neither should be immune to criticism but sacking is another story.

When you play as bad as we have, the coach gets put under pressure to perform. Thats just a cold, hard truth in team sports. While we havent won anything in a long time, we are still one of the biggest sporting organisations in Australia. Underachieving to the extent we have simply shouldnt be acceptable. Accepting mediocrity ( which is exactly what we have been this year, mediocre, and thats being generous ) isnt the right standards for a club who puts itself at the top of the tree.
The club has been accepting mediocrity for a long time now

The club has been accepting mediocrity for a long time now
A very long time and it continues.

Pity really, not that long ago we were all singing the praises of Dave Donaghy's arrival and his money ball and all.
He would get us the right players in the right positions and we would make a killing.

Along the way we have ended up one way or another with a bunch of mostly capable players but who are unable to defend and have no idea about structural attack or so it appears.

No point wishing the club went out and bought this player or that player if we can’t make full use of their talents.

Our team needs to become a team or the coaches need a rocket and or replacement, as simple as that.

A very long time and it continues.

Pity really, not that long ago we were all singing the praises of Dave Donaghy's arrival and his money ball and all.
He would get us the right players in the right positions and we would make a killing.

Along the way we have ended up one way or another with a bunch of mostly capable players but who are unable to defend and have no idea about structural attack or so it appears.

No point wishing the club went out and bought this player or that player if we can’t make full use of their talents.

Our team needs to become a team or the coaches need a rocket and or replacement, as simple as that.

Kevvie, Donaghy and Ikin turned the ship around when they came in and got a lot of well deserved praise. It seems like though, especially after last season, we rested on our laurels and expected it to just keep rolling on.

Kevvie, Donaghy and Ikin turned the ship around when they came in and got a lot of well deserved praise. It seems like though, especially after last season, we rested on our laurels and expected it to just keep rolling on.
In all fairness we should have just kept rolling on. It's an absolute failure of the whole team that we didn't pick up where we left off last season.

The club wouldn't have seen it coming.

Nothing really needed to change but I reckon the scars of the grand final fucked the players mentally combined with losing 4 of our top 17 without decent recruits to replace them. Add a few injuries and a shortened pre season and there you have our 2024 season. A gigantic mess.

I still have faith the current administration and players can turn it around. If we see a picture of kevy in the courier mail captioned "this man will win us a premiership" we can be all assured that the Broncos are fucked.

In all fairness we should have just kept rolling on. It's an absolute failure of the whole team that we didn't pick up where we left off last season.

The club wouldn't have seen it coming.

Nothing really needed to change but I reckon the scars of the grand final fucked the players mentally combined with losing 4 of our top 17 without decent recruits to replace them. Add a few injuries and a shortened pre season and there you have our 2024 season. A gigantic mess.

I still have faith the current administration and players can turn it around. If we see a picture of kevy in the courier mail captioned "this man will win us a premiership" we can be all assured that the Broncos are fucked.

The club should have seen this coming. Good organisations keep evolving and developing. You dont do that you go backwards, exactly whats happened to us this year. If anyone of the club has the mindset we should just keep rolling on they need the sack. Thats an awful mindset for anyone in a so called top level organisation.

Our recruitment this year has been Tigers level abysmal. How anyone thought any of them were up to the task is beyond me.

I'm not sure we rested on our laurels, I think it is more to do with the original personnel changing since then and those people who left have not been replaced with like for like (or better) and as a result our standards have slipped.

Granted injuries have played a huge part in our slide, but having the right coaches in the right positions coaching the right systems should have been a foundational 'essential'. This first point of building the essential foundations is paramount to continuing success.

Loosely paraphrasing @Morkel's mob - a team, like a house's foundations that is built on sand, is the work of a foolish man.

We don't seem to have gotten our foundations quite right.

The club should have seen this coming. Good organisations keep evolving and developing. You dont do that you go backwards, exactly whats happened to us this year. If anyone of the club has the mindset we should just keep rolling on they need the sack. Thats an awful mindset for anyone in a so called top level organisation.

Our recruitment this year has been Tigers level abysmal. How anyone thought any of them were up to the task is beyond me.
Lets just sack em all, and if the new ones don't see it coming we can sack them to!

I've said a few times that I would like to understand the structure of the football department at the Broncos, because if the current system is that Kevvie has absolute authority and effectively responsible for the hiring and firing across every aspect... then it was always bound to fail... and there is no mythical coach out there that could pick that up and turn it into success, except Wayne.

Robinson has Uncle Nick micro managing and overseeing the recruitment side and continually provides an elite playing group year on year to work with... Nick would also have contacts throughout all of NRL, and sporting in general, to identify top supporting staff as well. Leaves Robinson with just handling his coaching staff and performance reviewing whatever staff come in... at which point Nick will weed out anyone that is not performing and provide Trent with the next best option to work with.

Ivan has inherited a system that Gould built over however many years... mirroring the Broncos system. They've now got a conveyor built of elite young talent coming through and a generational halfback steering the ship. I'm not sure how their sporting department operates, but R&R is much easier when you can plug and play a 20yr old and it doesnt miss a beat, because they've been playing under the same system since 16's. Ivan has been in the league long enough to have contacts, but there must be somewhere else in there helping with identifying and bringing in support staff as well, because their high performance is absolutely elite.

Bellamy inherited a system that Ribot setup to mirror Brisbane and now has Ponissi and Bunn to name a few down there who can competently manage their areas. Bellamy has likely upped his responsibilities, but it's a well oiled machine down there with no complacency.

Dogs again have Gould there setting up the system... likely mirroring Broncos again. Gould comes with massive amounts of contacts in the industry to identify the best and brightest coming through for support staff and oversees recruitment.

The key with all these systems is the coach is ultimately there to coach the team... they are obviously involved in recruitment and staffing, but they're not needing to micromanage the entire system and there are other super experienced people that set it up in the first place.

If the current system at the Broncos is to just leave absolutely everything up to the coach and basically have the CEO as the only touch point then it is absolutely fucked to begin with.... Wayne is about the only coach that can handle every aspect of a football dept on his own... a rookie coach will be chewed up and spat out if that is what they're expected to do from day one.

There is a shortage of coaches across the league, but NRL has not yet looked across at the other massive international sports where a general manager of the sporting department sits above or alongside the coach to take workload off them and allows the coach to just fucking coach.

Lets just sack em all, and if the new ones don't see it coming we can sack them to!

View attachment 29305

I think you need to grow up a bit and stop being a drama queen. Nobody is saying sack them, i'm saying a club who considers itself elite, needs to act elite. We dont, and thats why we havent wont anything in years.

I'm not sure we rested on our laurels, I think it is more to do with the original personnel changing since then and those people who left have not been replaced with like for like (or better) and as a result our standards have slipped.

Granted injuries have played a huge part in our slide, but having the right coaches in the right positions coaching the right systems should have been a foundational 'essential'. This first point of building the essential foundations is paramount to continuing success.

Loosely paraphrasing @Morkel's mob - a team, like a house's foundations that is built on sand, is the work of a foolish man.

We don't seem to have gotten our foundations quite right.

Maybe resting on our laurels isnt the right word, but i think we have got a bit complacent and i reckon too many people thought what we did last year would just flow on into this year.

I think you need to grow up a bit and stop being a drama queen. Nobody is saying sack them, i'm saying a club who considers itself elite, needs to act elite. We dont, and thats why we havent wont anything in years.
Lol it was just a joke Wolfie, I thought the picture of men bouncing on gigantic ballsacks spelled that out.

Maybe resting on our laurels isnt the right word, but i think we have got a bit complacent and i reckon too many people thought what we did last year would just flow on into this year.
if it weren't for injuries there is every chance it carrys on into this year but we have been hammered pretty hard and i know you are going to say 'well the good sides dont miss a beat when someone is out injured 'those clubs have systems that were in place for a decade or more,its not an excuse but mitigating circumstances this year i think with key players being on the field together the majority of the season i think we sit alot better than what we are currantly.

I do have trouble understanding how saying "they need the sack" is also evidence of "nobody is saying sack them" . This is another mind bender Wolfie! By the time I figure it out we might have just made it into the 8 :tallica:

if it weren't for injuries there is every chance it carrys on into this year but we have been hammered pretty hard and i know you are going to say 'well the good sides dont miss a beat when someone is out injured 'those clubs have systems that were in place for a decade or more,its not an excuse but mitigating circumstances this year i think with key players being on the field together the majority of the season i think we sit alot better than what we are currantly.

I do think injuries have played their part in results. I've been consistent in saying that all year. My issue has always been with our performance levels and execution. Thats always been my biggest issue with how we have gone this year.

@Jedhead alluded to this in regards to us as a club, but our foundations are pretty weak imo.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  • Hurrijo
  • Morkel
  • Wolfie
  • ettybay
  • Robboi_321
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Johnny92
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Jedhead
  • Hoof Hearted
  • upthebroncs
  • Browny
  • Lostboy
  • TwoLeftFeet
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.