15 C. Jensen 0 0 0 0 0 0 22 1 0 12 1 0 0m 98m 0 0
16 K. Hetherington 0 0 0 0 0 0 13 0 0 3 0 0 0m 16m 0 0
17 M. Taupau 0 0 0 0 2 1 18 1 0 8 0 0 0m 60m 0 0

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
An ad hominem would be myself attacking you instead of the position you are maintaining. That position you are maintaining is that I am lying, which is actually is an attack on myself instead of the position that I am maintaining. That position being that Cobbo has been alright, has a lot to work on and that I am worried about his drive. Therefore you are the one using ad hominem arguments. Good work genius, you just played yourself.
Disagreeing with your statements and calling you out for "trust me bro" type refrences is not the same as calling you a liar. Conversely, throwing barbs at me because you've not noticed me before or the fact I've been on here for only a couple of years less than you and I also pay to support this site - is attacking the man and not the argument. So nice try.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Disagreeing with your statements and calling you out for "trust me bro" type refrences is not the same as calling you a liar. Conversely, throwing barbs at me because you've not noticed me before or the fact I've been on here for only a couple of years less than you and I also pay to support this site - is attacking the man and not the argument. So nice try.
I'm not asking anyone to trust me bro, but to simply look at the facts. He's dumb, everyone keeps saying it but following it up with "but he's young". I don't care how young he is and I don't think it's an excuse. I am worried about his drive, that's all my source has told me, as well as the reason he went home last year which I was copping shit before I even stated. He comes off his wing too often, which is being excused by some of you as the game plan, which just isn't the case. He didn't even bother attempting a catch the other week, one of the weakest things I have ever seen on a footy field.

Saying I don't know who you are after you have said I was deluded, talking about my ego, saying I don't have half a clue and that I don't even watch the sport I coach is entirely what you've just accused me of doing. Ad hominem attacks attempting to belittle me instead of arguing against the points I have made. So please, stop being a hypocrite and kindly **** off. Good night

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
I'm not asking anyone to trust me bro, but to simply look at the facts.
No... you're providing criticism with zero evidence and we can in turn dismiss this with zero evidence.

He's dumb, everyone keeps saying it but following it up with "but he's young".
Because he is young and dumb... 20 year old footy players aren't on a pedestal for anything other than pure atheletic ability.
He comes off his wing too often
Back this up - I think you'll struggle to find examples where he's not covering for Katoni as I think your bias is impacting your memory here.
He didn't even bother attempting a catch the other week, one of the weakest things I have ever seen on a footy field.
Clearly you didn't watch the Knights game two weeks ago. The full back just watched a manly player run up and score right in front of him because he forgot where he was on the field.

Letting the ball bounce happens a lot... I'd say 5+ times a weekend sometimes, and it's terrible every time. Yup, he made a mistake. He'll make plenty more just like most other players.

said I was deluded, talking about my ego, saying I don't have half a clue and that I don't even watch the sport I coach is entirely what you've just accused me of doing
Because at this point, your argument is persistent, pointless rambling in the face of a kid doing really quite well. He started the year a bit shit but just like last year, he's finding his groove again and performing really well. You keep peddling your agenda like you've never seen kids come through the NRL before. I've been watching footy since going to Brothers games before the Broncos were even around. This is not new, complaining about what "might" happen is pointless.

I did acuse you of not being able to admit you were wrong because pride burns, that's just a fact. It doesn't diminsh you as a person, quite the opposite, admitting we get it wrong is how we grow.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
Watching the presser and I reckon Kevvie has handled that brilliantly.

They're pushing hard to get anything out of them for the hip drops and he returns with "the bunker had an opportunity to look at it and they adjudicated on it, so I'll leave it to them"

The gallery had nothing to return with so they started asking Reyno about the hip drops... and when it got to the 2nd question to Reynolds Kevvie stepped in and answered to take the heat off him.

That was it ... they couldn't come back to it again, so he shut the whole situation down
Wonder who the heck were those n the media constantly pushing the agenda.

I

ImperiumHB7

Apr 22, 2023
tldr - longish first post sorry all.

Just finished watching again on replay.

Positives:
- Definitely liked our attack in the first half, came across much more composed and less chaotic than other games.
its still a Young team & patience doesn't happen instantly but need the experienced leaders and elder statesman to continue help calm the nerves.

- Can definitely see what Walsh was aiming to do with his kicks - even though he over cooked them a bit, where he was trying to place them was spot on, hopefully with time and practise hell keep placing them in the right dangerous spot but learn to just reduce the power slightly.
That try assist looked to be going out if not for the bobble up bounce.
His kicking could be an asset in the future - knowing his work ethic he'll keep improving it.

- Was worried we'd drop our heads after that ridiculously incompetent call that led directly to Parras first try.
Their attack can be deadly especially Sivo against the Broncos.

- Oates was very composed under the high floating ball.

- The defense was i thought quite good all night.

- forwards and their work rate. Carrigan had a good game and played with more variety and a bit more creativity, was a bit worried after last couple games he looked a bit too predictable, better tonight.

Negatives/concerns:
- ridiculous refereeing especially the first half. That play on was an absolute joke.

- Disappointed Flegler and Herbie are leaving but feel it'll provide some high potential youngsters to get more games and grow.

- Bit worried about that edge defense coming up against the Rabbitohs, Parra exposed that a little bit with a few of their second half plays where they really swung the ball quickly to the wings, the defense minus a few lapses covered it pretty well- Rabbitohs will do that with more frequency & more venom especially in their current form.

- we were better tonight but I'm worried a bit with converting tries especially come the end of the year, especially within the final 10 meters.
I think we're improving but still a little concerned against the good teams sometimes offensively the players can lose their heads and make mistakes trying to go for the highlight play which is great when it works but not when it doesn't.

Was better flowing tonight for sure, hopefully much more of that composure.

- Im a big Cobbo fan but I'm worried he's a little lost at times or more just wasted out wide on the wing, defensively at times he can be quite good covering other players particularly the lapses at center, at other times he can be the one leaving gaping holes.

Hes young with so much upside potential, just at times feel while wing is his technical spot, just feel he struggles to impose himself on the game from there and often he then tries to force it and tries too hard to make an impact and it can backfire.
Again easy to say from the office chair.
When he gets any open space he's an absolute weapon, especially if he gets a handoff running through the middle.
Interested to see what happens moving forward.

All in all great win- we owed them one.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Herbie and Oates doing a huge amount of work in that game, 225 and 224 meters from 21 and 20 runs which was the team high.

Herbie even beat Haas for Post contact meters with 81 to Haas 77 Oates 3rd with 65.

It can't be undersold how good it is to have big outside backs to help, there was a huge set we did after Parra got their last try where Oates, Herbie and Cobbo dragged us all the way up the field and it allowed Reyno to put an excellent kick in I felt that was what helped us keep the win at the end.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
They’re trying really hard for haas to get suspended, not one of those hip drops were hip drops.
I thought Hass was lucky to stay on given how they've ruled recently, but he didn't lose his feet which is a key indicator.
Mam and Hopgood both left the ground and let their body weight swing into legs.
Don't know why their was so much defence on the Hoogood tackle from Fox though.
I thought the binning of Mam and Hopgood was over the top.
Fuckknows how the judiciary will see things.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
We are supremely fit. We were showing amazing line speed early in that match and while the Eels had hands on hips, Broncos were jogging back into position. The "momentum shift" *cough cough* meant less ball, which meant conservation of energy (what was left after a massive first half) led to a quieter second half.
The boys were putting in so much in that first half, it was unbelievable. So fit.

I would also like to say that Paulo was awesome again for Parra. Penisini was also very good.

The hip-drop issue should be fine for Broncos based on Annesley's analysis a week ago.
  • Defender will generally have a grip of the opposition player, using that grip to lift or maintain body weight to then drop or swing their hip/s around.

• The defender usually swivels their nearest hip away from the body, dropping their hips and/or lower body onto the opposition player's body/lower limbs.

• The defender lands their body weight on the lower leg/s to stop the opposition player's momentum, trapping the lower limb into a dangerous position with weight and force.

Neither Payne nor Ezra sought to lift or maintain their body weight on the opponent and the tackles did not look unnatural on a football field.
    Please note that I said "should be fine" haha

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
That Brendan Hands or whatever his name is was pretty woeful for Parra.

Feel sorry for RCG, but I don't think Haas should be punished when the Bunker also did not immediately punish it. Taking injuries into account is an incredibly slippery slope in what is possibly the highest level contact sport in the world.

In the post-match presser Kev said something along the lines of "coaches respect each other too much to train such injury-inducing tackling techniques"... seemed like a dig at Bellamy to me.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
But when Isaako did it, it was bad. Because it is the wrong thing to do.

Cobbo stopped one try, but there's been numerous where he hasn't stopped the try just this season. You want him to trust his inside man and not give his winger a free run to the try line. He's been very lucky numerous times that Staggs has covered for him.
I liked that he committed hard to the inside man and the fact he did lets Staggs slide out. It's a good system if they get it right, puts a lot of pressure on the centre to pass quickly as well.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
In terms of the "hip drops"

Hopgood: 100% a hip drop on the basis that he had his footing, was dragging back on the tackled player and then lifted his feet to pull them down.

Mam: Started out as a low tackle and got dragged along by the tackled player before losing his footing. The key would be whether he deliberately lifted his feet or the momentum of the tackled dragged him along. Personally I feel he was just dragged along and lost his footing because of the momentum not for a hip drop action.

Haas: Not a hip drop. He's making a tackle and is slung around. He's not pulling back wards and lifting his feet to drag the player down.

Hopgood and Mam won't be charged, I'd say the bins will be considered enough punishment.

Haas shouldn't be charged but who knows with the MRC lottery. Badger didn't send down a call to bin him so that's at least one person who agrees it wasn't a hip drop.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Billy had a good game tonight. Far far superior to paix I thought. Paix is such a wet blanket in defence and had some very poor service from dummy half.

Volvo Driver

Volvo Driver

QCup Player
Jul 9, 2020
Vonny thinks you can get some sort of "black and white" rule regarding hip drops...I mean are you fucking kidding me? Tackles are spontaneous and unpredictable by their very nature. Don't be a reactionary moron just because you have a camera on you.
**** me. It's like you blokes don't understand what a panel does.

I'll tell you. To fucking debate topics, even if they don't actually believe it. Producers are in their ears to 1) tell them what to discuss, 2) offer alternative opinions and 3) pad out time.

Vonny is a diehard Broncos and QLD fan but as host she has to offer a different opinion to get that discussion happening. Otherwise it's a cricket jerk if everyone sits there and agrees.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Waking up after these wins is great.

We deserve to be happy about this, after 3 - 4 dismal seasons, it makes winning like this all the better.
I cant find fault in this side at the moment outside of a little impatience in attack, but that has also led to some crazy unpredictable attacking structure.

This side has some of the best off the cuff attack ive seen in years, and its bloody enjoyable to watch.
Our defense is stellar as well.

Feels very much like we will be there at the end of the season, with a lot of elements in our favor.
Haas and Patty workload.
Ezra, Reece and Cobbo X factor.
Reynolds direction and leadership, and an entire team that is busting their guts (Oates, Flegs, Herbie etc).

I dont want to say it, as i dont want to jinx it, but i see trophies being lifted in the near future.

Unread

Active Now

• Dash
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manofoneway
  • Aldo
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Mr Fourex
  • Galah
  • Battler
  • mrslong
  • OXY-351
  • Mustafur
  • Tmac
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.