Broncos

Kickoff In:

Lang Park

Saturday
Night
18:35

Tigers

Team Lists

Really? My impression was dolphins had more control for the majority of the game.
Nah, until Cobbo decided not to touch the ball in the air, we were in complete control in spite of silly errors from our side & at the same time, Redcliff never looked like they would score.
That 1 drop from Cobbo changed the game for them but we wanted it more so, we reinstated that it’s “OUR FUCKIN HOME!”

Compare the speed of Walsh with Doueihi - the majority of Wests' plays will come through someone running off koroisau. Control him we win the game. I don't think we need to worry about sweeps to an edge.

Markers have to be sharp.

We got belted last year, hopefully we return with belting them. We need a big +20 point win and need to do well over next 2-3 weeks before some hard games come up.
Tigers haven't been smashed by anyone yet this year, so maybe there defence isn't too horrible (I think there attack just sux). In fact we're the only one to put 40 on a team so far.

Tigers haven't been smashed by anyone yet this year, so maybe there defence isn't too horrible (I think there attack just sux). In fact we're the only one to put 40 on a team so far.
Cronulla says Hi. StG are the only team to sacrifice 40 pts in a match this year. Unfortunately for them, they've done it twice.

Walsh was talking about that move with Sam Thaiday on a pod cast last week .
Capewell could probably do it . Riki ,,, I dunno if he has that kind of ball skills . Sammy suggested Flegler ?

Apparently Billy Slater schooled Walsh on it at the Origin camp a cpl of seasons back .
Would love to see this being utilised, not just in this game but as a feature during the season. Like what Darius used to do with his wrap around. This out ball-in ball ***** with the defenders lateral movement especially when there are runner options outside. It’s a real pain to try and defend.

Panthers -> Great
Cowboys -> Good
Dragons -> Average
Dolphins -> Poor
Tigers -> .............

Anyone else seeing a trend here?
I don’t think we were great against the r panthers. Our best game was against the Cowboys imo. I also think we were worse against dragons than dolphins.

Nah, until Cobbo decided not to touch the ball in the air, we were in complete control in spite of silly errors from our side & at the same time, Redcliff never looked like they would score.
That 1 drop from Cobbo changed the game for them but we wanted it more so, we reinstated that it’s “OUR FUCKIN HOME!”
As Wayne Bennett said in his presser ' We beat them everywhere except on the scoreboard' Wayne being Wayne of course but still some truth in it. We were never fully in control of that match and it was in doubt until the KotonI runaway try. Much work has to be done yet before we can claim to be a genuine premiership threat. Hate to put a dampener on things but if that were not the case why are we 'here' being so concerned about a top of the table team beating the bottom of the table. Bogey team or not.

Sometimes we need to take the rose coloured glasses off for a proper look.

Attachments

• 99B302F3-1572-4AF3-9166-3F31782922FD.jpeg
    99B302F3-1572-4AF3-9166-3F31782922FD.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 59
Our forward pack is so strong this year, and we have some incredible backline players too - for mine, we don't need an elaborate, over the top game plan each week.

As others have mentioned, we need to respect the ball a lot more, and stop trying to force plays early in the tackle count. With the strength of our forwards, if we can dominate possession and complete our sets, it's only a matter of time before the opposition start to fatigue and opportunities present themselves.

That opening 30 minutes of the match should be all about holding the ball in my opinion. Play it fairly safe, work your way up the other end of the field, and finish the set with an excellent kick chase, a forced line drop-out, or really anything that leaves the opposition having to work it out from within their 20 metre line. My point is, the more we make them tackle, the more benefit we will see as the match progresses.

Of course, we still need to have some cohesion in our attack, and I hope the players and staff are working on a number of set plays we can utilise once we're within 30 or so metres of the opposition's line. Some of those long range tries look are brilliant to watch, but I don't want to see us making low percentage plays to try and force our way through from within our own half. We'll score plenty of long range tries just by wearing the opposition down. Make them work bloody hard, and the further on into the game we get, the more half-gaps we'll start to see open up. That'll be ripe for players like Walsh, Herbie, Staggs and Mam to break through the line with their agility or strength.

Reckon none of us had rose colored glasses on. None of us liked the way we won against Redcliff. Most of us(if not all) expected to trash them but it was not the case. We all were frustrated as to how we played. It’s our defense that won us the game.

Comparing how we won in R1 to R4, there’s a world of difference which, the players themselves admitted upon the conclusion of the game.

There were silly errors, sloppy plays & at times our dummy half’s had no clue as to where the footy should be passed to.

I reckon mentally, that game has drained most of our group. Now that it’s behind them, I expect our group to build on R1 performance. As long as they do not go into the game against Tigers hoping that W is a given, that itself is a big learning for the team.

The thing that I like about the team this year is, they’re grounded & taking it in week by week. That should set us up for a big season

As Wayne Bennett said in his presser ' We beat them everywhere except on the scoreboard' Wayne being Wayne of course but still some truth in it. We were never fully in control of that match and it was in doubt until the KotonI runaway try. Much work has to be done yet before we can claim to be a genuine premiership threat. Hate to put a dampener on things but if that were not the case why are we 'here' being so concerned about a top of the table team beating the bottom of the table. Bogey team or not.

Sometimes we need to take the rose coloured glasses off for a proper look.

We are winning ugly and doing so while for the most part, not playing that well, these are all really good signs. No team should be playing their best in March and we have a HEAP of upside in us, now it is down to the coach and players to make that improvement. Even without playing well, we have still beaten two of last year's top 4 teams including the defending premiers at their home ground. That back end of both the Cows and Dragons also showed glimpses of what this team can be.

I don't think anyone thinks we are playing well but even so, we are winning and for the most part winning fairly comfortably, at least in two of the games. We also now have a team that doesn't drop it's head after doing something dumb, these are massive signs of improvement. We also have strike everywhere on the park, across every line, that is exciting. Our spine still needs more time to click but you can see the ingredients are all there and once they do, look out.

We are in an exciting spot despite playing poorly for the most part AND to weather the origin storm that will inevitably come. Banking early wins when not playing well is really important and right now, for all the problems that are obvious, we are a game clear on top of the table with the second best attack AND the equal third best defense but bear in mind, the two in front have also played one less game. Good signs if we can fix the obvious issues.

Our forward pack is so strong this year, and we have some incredible backline players too - for mine, we don't need an elaborate, over the top game plan each week.

As others have mentioned, we need to respect the ball a lot more, and stop trying to force plays early in the tackle count. With the strength of our forwards, if we can dominate possession and complete our sets, it's only a matter of time before the opposition start to fatigue and opportunities present themselves.

That opening 30 minutes of the match should be all about holding the ball in my opinion. Play it fairly safe, work your way up the other end of the field, and finish the set with an excellent kick chase, a forced line drop-out, or really anything that leaves the opposition having to work it out from within their 20 metre line. My point is, the more we make them tackle, the more benefit we will see as the match progresses.

Of course, we still need to have some cohesion in our attack, and I hope the players and staff are working on a number of set plays we can utilise once we're within 30 or so metres of the opposition's line. Some of those long range tries look are brilliant to watch, but I don't want to see us making low percentage plays to try and force our way through from within our own half. We'll score plenty of long range tries just by wearing the opposition down. Make them work bloody hard, and the further on into the game we get, the more half-gaps we'll start to see open up. That'll be ripe for players like Walsh, Herbie, Staggs and Mam to break through the line with their agility or strength.
You make some great points Ningers.

One thing I'm a bit wary of is how we finish our sets. The question is - do we kick it into the in-gaol for a goal line dropout or not? Most teams will pull the trigger on a short dropout and take the odds at trying to win the ball back. The more they practice the better they get at it. which means all of a sudden we've lost momentum and the opposition have their tails up coz they managed to 'steal' possession back.

When they fail it just means the opposition get the ball as was expected. So kicks in goal to sustain pressure can be a game of Russian roulette nowadays.

I'd much prefer we play safe and only kick in-goal when there is a genuine chance of us scoring. Otherwise turn the ball over as close to their try line as possible.

Hey Guys, my first post on this forum. Listen im a tigers fan, i actually enjoy reading your forum, I do read the tigers forum too. You guys should smack us this week, if we can drop brooks then id be a bit happier. Our attack has been woeful but defence has kinda stepped up from last year. I do hope its a close game, but i dont see us winning. Good luck

Hey Guys, my first post on this forum. Listen im a tigers fan, i actually enjoy reading your forum, I do read the tigers forum too. You guys should smack us this week, if we can drop brooks then id be a bit happier. Our attack has been woeful but defence has kinda stepped up from last year. I do hope its a close game, but i dont see us winning. Good luck
Happy to have you here mate. What do you make of the club hiring Tim Sheens again as head coach?

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.