NEWS Pre-season Challenge 2: vs COWBOYS, Sat Feb 18, 7:55pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fo5wQPCX0AAKx 8

NRL Pre-season Challenge 2: COWBOYS - Feb 18, 7:55pm (Sunshine Coast)

Broadcast on Fox/Kayo only.

Having Cobbo trial at fullback is unexpected bonus in this. The more he can get hold of the ball - and hang onto it - the more we're likely to score. Bit quiet though.

The selection that sticks out to me is Arthars at 5. I would have thought the Broncos would be looking to give Mariner as much game-time as possible and with the injury to Reece Walsh now would have been the best opportunity against quality opposition.

That suggests it could go either way between the pair. I'd also have to presume that Pereira either picked up an injury or Walters is satisfied with what he saw and can trust Pereira can do the job if he goes in that direction.

Once again the Broncos are treating the #9 as a revolving door. I expect that trend to continue through out the season and still expect to see Smoothy given an opportunity. With Mozer & Willison back earlier than expected, I presume they were brought in just to get some game time.

I'll be keeping a close eye on Mozer. He's got a lot of expectations on his shoulders and while I expect it'll be a cameo performance, I need to see something to suggest he's worth the hype. He was great against 17/18 year olds, I need to see something here.

Brisbane will be looking to improve on their 20 point loss from last year. They actually went into that game without Reynolds and Farnworth so they should be more competitive here. They need to be able to go set for set and not lose their way when they get fatigued.

I want to see the Broncos lift when a try is put on them. Usually, when this happened in 22 they were at the mercy of the opposition and were sweating on mistakes or luck to bail them out.

I saw far too many bad habits against the Titans, I hope the 1st XIII have learned.

Walters:

“We didn’t feel there was a need for ‘Reyno’ to play against the Titans last week. A lot of players across the NRL were resting, but this will be a good hit out for Reyno and a good chance to build a combination with the guys heading into round one.”​
“Jock Madden injured his hamstring but he will be right for the Cowboys game. The trials are an opportunity for our guys to showcase their skills and push forward as individuals. There’s good competition for spots at the Broncos.”​

NRL Physio Brian Seeney:

“There’s a good chance Reece will be available in round one or two. Provided there’s no indications for surgery, no double vision, no muscle entrapment - and the fracture is less than half of the orbital floor - most NRL players are back in 3-4 weeks.”​

Payten:

“James Tamou is such a professional. He has led the team well in pre-season and showed guys how to prepare properly. We will roll out our best 20 and rotate the best 17 like an NRL game. We will run out our best team.”​

Don't like palasia in the side. Might as well put Willison in, at least he's sticking around.

Big Pete mentioned he wanted to see something from Mozer, but I think the higher priority is seeing something from piakura.

Don't like palasia in the side. Might as well put Willison in, at least he's sticking around.

Big Pete mentioned he wanted to see something from Mozer, but I think the higher priority is seeing something from piakura.
We've seen enough of Piakura to know he has skills to be an NRL player, it's just about keeping him on the field so he can sharpen his technical limitations. Whereas this is Mozer's first test at this level.

We've seen enough of Piakura to know he has skills to be an NRL player, it's just about keeping him on the field so he can sharpen his technical limitations. Whereas this is Mozer's first test at this level.
I would have had him playing against wynnum as well. I think the more mozer plays in those kind of games, the better. It would test him without exposing him to too much criticism.
Anyway you cant play them all and maybe paix needed the run.

I would have had him playing against wynnum as well.
Agree...Wynnum would've been well suited for Mozer as a first up run.

Trial 1 - Mozer & Smoothy
Trial 2 - Walters & Paix
Trial 3 - Mozer, Smoothey, Paix

Walters is the incumbent...so unless he had a shocker in T2, or someone else had a blinder......he's got the no.9, for now

I'm trying to pick my no.14.

and just quietly........

I'm hard for Mozer.

Not playing Smoothy is just strange. Him and Wendell Jnr are fighting it out for the last spot in the 30, but not even being given a crack.

I would have had him playing against wynnum as well. I think the more mozer plays in those kind of games, the better. It would test him without exposing him to too much criticism.
Both Mozer and Willison were set to miss the trials altogether after they both went under the knife during the off-season. Clearly, they've recovered ahead of schedule and this was the first available opportunity to give them some game time.

Not playing Smoothy is just strange. Him and Wendell Jnr are fighting it out for the last spot in the 30, but not even being given a crack.
Smoothy has already played twice as has Sailor. They rotate them a bit during the preseason. As far as I am aware, no one is playing all three games.

Smoothy has already played twice as has Sailor. They rotate them a bit during the preseason. As far as I am aware, no one is playing all three games.
The blokes trying to get into the squad should be getting as much game time as possible. The first trial was barely a trial.

The blokes trying to get into the squad should be getting as much game time as possible. The first trial was barely a trial.
The final trial is usually where coaches give their incumbents a run. It gives them an opportunity to evaluate the team against the opposition and make any last minute changes. The only difference is that due to injuries/rep commitments, the Broncos have had to hold off on a few auditions.

No rush on that #30 spot, Brisbane can activate it on a need-to basis.

The final trial is usually where coaches give their incumbents a run. It gives them an opportunity to evaluate the team against the opposition and make any last minute changes. The only difference is that due to injuries/rep commitments, the Broncos have had to hold off on a few auditions.

No rush on that #30 spot, Brisbane can activate it on a need-to basis.
For the same reason Hodges didn’t play trials later in his career, I honestly see no value in playing Reynolds.

Lots to lose, barely anything to gain.

Mozer did his shoulder in Colts against Norths and Willison did his shoulders in the last round against Townsville.

They're about three weeks ahead of schedule.

Agree...Wynnum would've been well suited for Mozer as a first up run.

Trial 1 - Mozer & Smoothy
Trial 2 - Walters & Paix
Trial 3 - Mozer, Smoothey, Paix

Walters is the incumbent...so unless he had a shocker in T2, or someone else had a blinder......he's got the no.9, for now

I'm trying to pick my no.14.

and just quietly........

I'm hard for Mozer.
No gif? You must have been hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • TimWhatley
  • Dash
  • Locky24
  • johnny plath
  • Bronx48
  • theshed
  • Evander
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Adammacca
  • Old Mate
  • Manlyman
  • Fozz
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.