NEWS Pre-season Challenge 2: vs COWBOYS, Sat Feb 18, 7:55pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fo5wQPCX0AAKx 8

NRL Pre-season Challenge 2: COWBOYS - Feb 18, 7:55pm (Sunshine Coast)

Broadcast on Fox/Kayo only.

I was saying as I was watching the trial last week that there was absolutely NO reason Walsh should have still be on the field when he was.

Most of the other starters had gone off, Walsh had been involved in everything and shown that he was going to be a key part of our squad this year - there was absolutely nothing to be gained by keeping him out there.

Sure enough, he gets injured in meaningless game time and we might be without him for the start of the regular season. This is seriously common-sense absolutely basic and simple stuff that Kevvie continues to get wrong. There are too many of these sorts of oblivious, head-scratching mistakes for them to be coincidence.

During the telecast I think I recall a commentator actually say that Kevvie tried to substitute Walsh and that Walsh didn't want to come off... If that's the case then it's even worse. If our own coach can't even control his players and make a substitution then maybe Cobbo was right.

Season hasn't even started yet and I'm already even more convinced than last year that we need someone competent at the helm.
You’ll soon be informed that all of the simple things that are being done wrong are totally isolated incidents with no bigger reoccurring theme and that everything is completely justifiable.

I wonder if giving Arthars a trial at wing is just a case of giving everyone a go? I'm Jesse's biggest apologist on this board, maybe his only one, and I can't in good faith endorse him over other candidates after this:

He is actually my favourite backup player.
I would have him in instead of Staggs and make Staggs play himself back into the Team 😊

During the telecast I think I recall a commentator actually say that Kevvie tried to substitute Walsh and that Walsh didn't want to come off... If that's the case then it's even worse. If our own coach can't even control his players and make a substitution then maybe Cobbo was right.

Season hasn't even started yet and I'm already even more convinced than last year that we need someone competent at the helm.

Players always refuse to come off- that's nothing.

Walsh got hit in the groin and wanted a minute to walk it off. He then got hit in the head.

I was saying as I was watching the trial last week that there was absolutely NO reason Walsh should have still be on the field when he was.

Most of the other starters had gone off, Walsh had been involved in everything and shown that he was going to be a key part of our squad this year - there was absolutely nothing to be gained by keeping him out there.

Sure enough, he gets injured in meaningless game time and we might be without him for the start of the regular season. This is seriously common-sense absolutely basic and simple stuff that Kevvie continues to get wrong. There are too many of these sorts of oblivious, head-scratching mistakes for them to be coincidence.

This is the exact reason I see no benefit in playing Reynolds this weekend.

Anyone and everyone can see the risks, but I’m having a very hard time seeing the rewards.

I just hope Walters leaves him out there no more than 20mins.

This is the exact reason I see no benefit in playing Reynolds this weekend.

Anyone and everyone can see the risks, but I’m having a very hard time seeing the rewards.

I just hope Walters leaves him out there no more than 20mins.
I think there's a lot to be said for in game combos. No matter how hard you try, you won't replicate a game scenario at training. Having him out there will help reinforce whatever they're learning at training.

Doesn't need to be a full game, but I think playing a half is beneficial.

You’ll soon be informed that all of the simple things that are being done wrong are totally isolated incidents with no bigger reoccurring theme and that everything is completely justifiable.

Now now.......you've turned over a new leaf

remember...?

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

He is actually my favourite backup player.
I would have him in instead of Staggs and make Staggs play himself back into the Team 😊
I think people like to forget that Staggs was in Career best form before he tore his labrum in Origin 1.
Played out the rest of the year with that injury and sill was dangerous and defended well when considering that.

Shows extreme toughness and willpower to play through that much pain in that position and not get done every week by your opposing centre (olam was legit the only person to beat him 1 on 1 to score all year)

I'm more then happy to give him the benefit of the doubt given the circumstances.

I think people like to forget that Staggs was in Career best form before he tore his labrum in Origin 1.
Played out the rest of the year with that injury and sill was dangerous and defended well when considering that.

Shows extreme toughness and willpower to play through that much pain in that position and not get done every week by your opposing centre (olam was legit the only person to beat him 1 on 1 to score all year)

I'm more then happy to give him the benefit of the doubt given the circumstances.
I didn't forget.

Tough maybe... intelligent definitely not.
But I'm loathed to respect the opinion of someone that uses the word Legit.

I still like Staggs...not as much as he likes feet, still think he is a rocks or diamonds kind of player.

I think there's a lot to be said for in game combos. No matter how hard you try, you won't replicate a game scenario at training. Having him out there will help reinforce whatever they're learning at training.

Doesn't need to be a full game, but I think playing a half is beneficial.
I’m not going to argue with any of that, but I’m still not sure the reward outweighs the risk, especially when a fit Reynolds is so critically important to our team.

I’m not going to argue with any of that, but I’m still not sure the reward outweighs the risk, especially when a fit Reynolds is so critically important to our team.

This.

The whole fascination with pre-season games and their importance baffles me. Players are out for up to 12 months with ACL / similar injuries which mean they have been barely able to train in many cases and once they are fit they jump right back into first grade and sure it might take some time to get match fit again, but they do it on the fly.

Yet suddenly in pre-season a group of fully fit and largely injury-free players suddenly can't function properly come round 1 unless they've played a bunch of trial games first?

In the NFL, most team's starting players will play barely half a game over the course of a 4-week preseason period... Some won't even play a single snap.

Injury is a necessary risk in any game - trial or not. You have no choice but to wear the risk in the regular season but choosing to do so in pre-season is much less justifiable. There should be minimal pre-season activity for all starters and NONE for key spine players in my opinion.

Assume we have no pre-season activity and start the season slowly as players get match fitness... That doesn't derail our entire year. A season ending injury to Adam Reynolds in a trial match where some reserve grader with awful form and a screw loose dives at his legs would absolutely ruin our entire season.

This.

The whole fascination with pre-season games and their importance baffles me. Players are out for up to 12 months with ACL / similar injuries which mean they have been barely able to train in many cases and once they are fit they jump right back into first grade and sure it might take some time to get match fit again, but they do it on the fly.

Yet suddenly in pre-season a group of fully fit and largely injury-free players suddenly can't function properly come round 1 unless they've played a bunch of trial games first?

In the NFL, most team's starting players will play barely half a game over the course of a 4-week preseason period... Some won't even play a single snap.

Injury is a necessary risk in any game - trial or not. You have no choice but to wear the risk in the regular season but choosing to do so in pre-season is much less justifiable. There should be minimal pre-season activity for all starters and NONE for key spine players in my opinion.

Assume we have no pre-season activity and start the season slowly as players get match fitness... That doesn't derail our entire year. A season ending injury to Adam Reynolds in a trial match where some reserve grader with awful form and a screw loose dives at his legs would absolutely ruin our entire season.
Maybe the players like it themselves. Maybe it just helps to switch on into the right mentality without competition points on the line. Maybe they themselves can see the areas they want to do better, and any mistakes made are not as career-threatening as they would be in a real match. Maybe the injuries they do get allow the coaching staff to identify team gaps before it's too late into the season, or can focus rehab/management on those areas. The NRL isn't going to allow anyone to just play half a game to get the cobwebs out, but a trial will.

Reynolds may find the lack of any trial time to be a serious problem in the opening rounds.

Maybe the players like it themselves. Maybe it just helps to switch on into the right mentality without competition points on the line. Maybe they themselves can see the areas they want to do better, and any mistakes made are not as career-threatening as they would be in a real match. Maybe the injuries they do get allow the coaching staff to identify team gaps before it's too late into the season, or can focus rehab/management on those areas. The NRL isn't going to allow anyone to just play half a game to get the cobwebs out, but a trial will.

Reynolds may find the lack of any trial time to be a serious problem in the opening rounds.
All reasonable points, but I would say the NRL can’t really do shit about how a coach uses their bench.

Not so long ago, Stuart if memory serves me correctly, took one of his players off the field in the final 10 or so minutes just to get the team prepared for the possibility they may have to play a finals match down a player.

Besides, even if the NRL wanted to, the club could just say they felt a twinge and so they brought them off as a precautionary measure. That legitimately (well, I assume) happens every now and then as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Harry Sack
  • Gaz
  • johnny plath
  • Jazza
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Old Mate
  • Big Del
  • barker
  • The Strapper
  • BroncoFan94
  • GCBRONCO
  • Culhwch
  • davidp
  • Fitzy
  • Redfern_1980
  • NSW stables
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Totally Unr3al
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.