Pre-Season

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
“Wayne has just said to me he wants me to back myself in attack … he isn’t interested in having me locked in to any really set structure or keeping me pinned on one side of the field the whole time,” Milford said.

“I think we have a pretty good group filling those main ball-playing positions down the spine of the team.

“I think we are all pretty young, but the big thing is we all bring something different and I guess you would say complement each other.”

Sound awesome to me

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
This should be an interesting game, I think we will win but it will be closer that most think. Whilst I was in England a few days ago I went and watched a Leeds vs Wakefield game and the ruck is a lot slower than NRL, which I think doesn't suit a mobile foward-pack like ours as much.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Broncos Prepped And Ready

WAYNE Bennett says his squad is prepped ready for one of the most challenging pre-seasons in Brisbane Broncos' history.

The Broncos' squad will move into game mode this weekend with the start of the Auckland Nines tournament.

And the trip across the Tasman will only be the beginning of the Frequent Flyer miles, as the Broncos play pre-season matches in three separate countries.

After the Nines in New Zealand, the Broncos will face the Cowboys in Mackay and then fly long haul to play Wigan in England.

But the hot, humid Brisbane summer the players have just endured will have them primed, said Bennett.

"I am pretty pleased with the pre-season," said Bennett.

"It has been hot and very humid, one of the hottest summers we have had for a long time.

"It does wear the players down but the players have been good.

"We just have to get through it and are getting through it.

"It will all come together and hopefully we come through with not too many injuries and with everyone fit in the squad."

Bennett said the unusual pre-season had its challenges but the Broncos were monitoring the players carefully.

Playing in the World Club series against Wigan in England will be a wonderful opportunity for the club.

The Broncos' staff is doing everything to make sure the side is ready to go when they open the NRL season against premiers the Rabbitohs on Thursday, March 5 at Suncorp Stadium.

"It is all going to have its challenges," he said.

"But we have great staff and know what we are doing it so it is just a case of managing it.

"No-one is going to get over-exposed with too much of anything.

"We will nurse the players through."

Broncos Prepped And Ready - Broncos

There's a video in the link that includes a couple more quotes. Namely that Thaiday, Hodgo and Parker among others won't play in the Mackay trial against the Cowboys since Wayne doesn't want them to travel too much before the season proper.

Last edited:
U

Unbiased Nostalgia

NYC Player
Jan 23, 2015
9s starting this weekend. I don't know about you but I thought this pre season went by really quickly.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Notes on the Blair article in RLW...

- Wasn't expecting to sign with Brisbane until 2016. However, his manager and wife knew that a deal could take place as early as 2015 while Blair was playing for NZ.

- As you'd expect, Blair really looks up to Kearney and while I believe his signing was more about location if anything, Kearney's presence definitely helped matters.

- Spoke about his time in Sydney. Says it was difficult both on and off the field since he didn't have any extended family around him which is pretty common amongst players.

- RLW highlighted that he had his best season last year for the Tigers...at lock.

Pre-Season Report Card

Backs: [B+] Largely due to the halves pairing and their potential combination with Boyd when he returns. Hodgo is handy and the rest is just gravy.

Forwards: [A] The most interesting part about their justification is that Joe Gould (the writer of the article) believes that Blair will play lock.

Recruitment: [A] Milford is touted as the signing of the decade for the Broncos. The rest of the signings solidify the grade.

Depth: Good depth in the forwards but the losses of Hoffman & Barba hurts them out-wide.

Coaching [A+] Which is the highest grade any coach received. Apparently the Broncos had the most upbeat vibe of any club in the pre-season.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Not a whole lot else Broncos related in the magazine other than a story about Ben Barba. Flanagan reckons he's gotten his pace back and what hurt him last year was this injury he suffered at the Auckland 9s.

Last edited:
Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
At the risk of sounding like a Debbie downer but I'm still questioning how competive the WCC series will be as the last time they played the WCC like this the games were uncompetitive and the tournament was a farce. The game in the UK and Europe has come a long way since and we won't see blowouts like 1997 but I still think they are a bit behind the NRL standard.

Active Now

• Robboi_321
  • Foordy
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Fozz
  • Skathen
  • Redux
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dia Ken
  • Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • Socnorb
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.