Pre-season

Totally agree that David didn't say it, his Mum did, but there's no evidence of it being a 'botched' communication either.
She meant what she said, we just don't know if it accurately reflects David's position.
Spot on. I just get a bit frustrated at times with numbnuts attacking a player(any person) for statements or intentions not expressed but said or done on their behalf.

It's like the fuckheads who continually slam Boyd for saying "It's only a game". They know fucking well in which context it was said but isolate it to continue the envious hate filled position they've taken.

I don't blame Fifita one little bit. I wish him well (except when we play them) and I thought he did as well as anyone could with such a tough decision. I doubt the Broncos would have offered him close to the Tits offer so it surprised me he held off as long as he did.

Wow bro that last line sounds like a horrible story. :(

Nelson

I would hardly say Coates has established himself yet, but this year is a bit of an anomaly as well due to Covid. There hasnt been a year of footy comparable to this year to use as a yardstick. I can't see any negative in letting players like Coates or Niu get some ISC under their belts in 2021. If their form demands it anyway, they will be in the NRL side. I just hope we dont get caught in the trap of giving them game time just to try to keep them here. They need to earn it, not be given it to make them sign a contract.

I actually think we have options ( based on what i saw this year, things could change for 2021 depending on form ) who would offer us more consitency and steadiness than Coates. Farnworth is a winger imo, and i think he is a better option but we will probably play him center. Kennar, while im not a fan is a bit more reliable than Coates. His highs are nowhere near as high as Coates, but his lows arent anywhere near as low either. He's just the safe, steady option. I guess if Kevvie is prepared to let Coates develop and make his mistakes in the NRL, and he thinks he can handle it then i'd agree and say we will be seeing him on the wing all year.

I thought I'd move the conversation over here to spare the rumour thread @Wolfie.

In Xavier's case, he'll be given the opportunity to fail. Even then, I can't see him being dropped to Queensland Cup for the entire year with the expectation that by 2022 he'll be the second incarnation of Inglis. It's a valuable competition that separates the men from the boys but an effective in-house training system is just as valuable if not moreso in Xavier's case.

I know you don't think like this, but sometimes I get the impression that fans are really flippant when it comes to reserve grade. 'Oh just send X to Wynnum for a year and a half, their stats will improve by 15% and by then they'll be more valuable than Y who has already peaked.' It doesn't work like that.

In Xavier's case, while his development was rushed, I think he was well on his way to becoming a regular first grader even before the pandemic hit. He was one of the Broncos stand-outs in the first week of the QCup and it only seemed like a matter of time before he'd come into the team. It's very likely he would have likely come in for Oates after his injury in Round 2.

I thought I'd move the conversation over here to spare the rumour thread @Wolfie.

In Xavier's case, he'll be given the opportunity to fail. Even then, I can't see him being dropped to Queensland Cup for the entire year with the expectation that by 2022 he'll be the second incarnation of Inglis. It's a valuable competition that separates the men from the boys but an effective in-house training system is just as valuable if not moreso in Xavier's case.

I know you don't think like this, but sometimes I get the impression that fans are really flippant when it comes to reserve grade. 'Oh just send X to Wynnum for a year and a half, their stats will improve by 15% and by then they'll be more valuable than Y who has already peaked.' It doesn't work like that.

In Xavier's case, while his development was rushed, I think he was well on his way to becoming a regular first grader even before the pandemic hit. He was one of the Broncos stand-outs in the first week of the QCup and it only seemed like a matter of time before he'd come into the team. It's very likely he would have likely come in for Oates after his injury in Round 2.

I suppose it will all depend on how he handles things mentally as much as anything. If he still keeps making the kind of errors he tends to, and the social media trolls get on his back it might get him down or it might be the making of him. I still personally think Seibold mismanaged a lot of our younger guys by not knowing when to pull them out of the firing line. The good coaches know when to protect these players for their own good.

I agree though, Qcup isnt a fix for everything. You can send them back there and they can still struggle. It wont fix up everything. Sometimes its more about attitude and how they react if they do get sent back to help them out.

I suppose it will all depend on how he handles things mentally as much as anything. If he still keeps making the kind of errors he tends to, and the social media trolls get on his back it might get him down or it might be the making of him. I still personally think Seibold mismanaged a lot of our younger guys by not knowing when to pull them out of the firing line. The good coaches know when to protect these players for their own good.

I agree though, Qcup isnt a fix for everything. You can send them back there and they can still struggle. It wont fix up everything. Sometimes its more about attitude and how they react if they do get sent back to help them out.
It makes me sick to defend the man but don’t you think Seibold’s hands were tied to some extent? No Q Cup no experienced players.

Spot on. I just get a bit frustrated at times with numbnuts attacking a player(any person) for statements or intentions not expressed but said or done on their behalf.

It's like the fuckheads who continually slam Boyd for saying "It's only a game". They know fucking well in which context it was said but isolate it to continue the envious hate filled position they've taken.

I don't blame Fifita one little bit. I wish him well (except when we play them) and I thought he did as well as anyone could with such a tough decision. I doubt the Broncos would have offered him close to the Tits offer so it surprised me he held off as long as he did.
Chill out brosep, it’s only a game

just another Rothfield beat up.

every off contract player looks at their options, and they all meet coaches they've never met before. they also say he won't be making a decision until he meets and trains under Kevie
I'm not saying the poster of this comment is delusional but I'm saying the words written are deluded

Possibly a little bit. He was still shit though.
( responding to theshed here)

Regardless of the difficulties he faced as coach a team of such quality should have at least appeared to have structure and a plan for each game/opponent. Seiplod had two seasons to show what he could build from the material provided.

I have absolutely no doubt at that least half of the Intrust coaches would have produced a better team. Holbrook had much less talent, much less time and was paid far less yet he took the last placed Tits to within a whisker of the finals.

He had even greater excuse for failure. That's what coaching is all about. Helping your guys excel and exceeding even what the players themselves believed possible .

Last edited:
I'm not saying the poster of this comment is delusional but I'm saying the words written are deluded
So you're saying that off contract players don't look at all their options ... that would just be plain stupid, although they are rugby league players, so you might be on to something.

( responding to theshed here)

Regardless of the difficulties he faced as coach a team of such quality should have at least appeared to have structure and a plan for each game/opponent. Seiplod had two seasons to show what he could build from the material provided.

I have absolutely no doubt at that least half of the Intrust coaches would have produced a better team. Holbrook had much less talent, much less time and was paid far less yet he took the last placed Tits to within a whisker of the finals.

He had even greater excuse for failure. That's what coaching is all about. Helping your guys excel and exceeding even what the players themselves believed possible .
Oh for sure. Terrible coach.

So you're saying that off contract players don't look at all their options ... that would just be plain stupid, although they are rugby league players, so you might be on to something.
That's why you have a manager

That's why you have a manager

and the manager has to pass on all offers to their clients for consideration.

not to mention that if said offer is higher than what he is looking at with his current club, the manager will 10000% pass it on, hoping he takes the better offer (since he works on commission)

and the manager has to pass on all offers to their clients for consideration.

not to mention that if said offer is higher than what he is looking at with his current club, the manager will 10000% pass it on, hoping he takes the better offer (since he works on commission)
And they're just going to fly up and down (during covid) to follow up on all of those offers... in person.... with the club head coach.......

Moments like this happen everyday with no follow through you're absolutely right.... Nothing to worry about at all
Images20 202020 12 27T143952327

Last edited:
And they're just going to fly up and down (during covid) to follow up on all of those offers... in person.... with the club head coach.......

Moments like this happen everyday with no follow through you're absolutely right.... Nothing to worry about at all View attachment 10932

i didn't say it wasn't anything to worry about ... but it also isn't a rare occurrence, not to mention the fact that Coates didn't have to fly anywhere. Bellamy was on the gold coast.

the only thing rare about it that it was done in a very public manner. likely for two reasons: his manager wanting to put the pressure on us to offer overs for him and Bellamy wanting revenge for the Croft meeting during last years (2019) finals series.

and I for one personally hope that if Bellamy is offering him big money we tell him to take it. and the take a leaf out of Bennett's playbook and keep him in reserve grade all year (like he did with Hodges) ... and before anyone starts, this wouldn't be a retaliatory move, it would be a practical move, by allowing us to develop our longer term options, instead of developing Coates for Bellamy

i didn't say it wasn't anything to worry about ... but it also isn't a rare occurrence, not to mention the fact that Coates didn't have to fly anywhere. Bellamy was on the gold coast.

the only thing rare about it that it was done in a very public manner. likely for two reasons: his manager wanting to put the pressure on us to offer overs for him and Bellamy wanting revenge for the Croft meeting during last years (2019) finals series.

and I for one personally hope that if Bellamy is offering him big money we tell him to take it. and the take a leaf out of Bennett's playbook and keep him in reserve grade all year (like he did with Hodges) ... and before anyone starts, this wouldn't be a retaliatory move, it would be a practical move, by allowing us to develop our longer term options, instead of developing Coates for Bellamy
Yeah then we lose our fist 3 and everyone is talking about '"they have a future star like Xavier Coates sidelined why don't they play him!"

And all of a sudden Walters is in the same position Seibold was and has pressure to make selection changes for knee jerk reasons.

Hell, dropping him cause he's due to transfer clubs is another pressure to not pick the best 17.

Active Now

• KickHaas
  • Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  • spanky
  • Gaz
  • Sproj
  • Dash
  • Dexter
  • Galah
  • Pablo
  • Brocko
  • theshed
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Skyblues87
  • Justwin
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.