Pre-season

Not sure... I have noticed the primary kicker is usually located on the right side if they're a right footed kicker (Cleary, Moses, Cronk, Pearce, Arey, etc.). Conversely Norman, Wighton, etc. sit on the left with their left foot kicking

Keary sits on the left, but Flanagan did all the kicking last year. SJ sits on the right even though Chad is probably the primary kicker, but that's probably carry over from his warriors days and it's where he's most effective so he should be staying there anyway.

The only player I can think of from recent time that really bucks the trend is JT, because Morgan sat on the right, but JT was definitely the primary kicker. In saying that JT played the traditional halfback role roaming either side of the ruck so he could just move himself to the correct side before his kick

Potentially they do this to get the kicker's foot away from the inside chasers (right foot kicker has markers coming from their left).

Also so they're not kicking back against the grain so to speak (ie. Milf getting it on the left side of the ruck, but wanting to kick to the right side of the field would have them kicking into the kick pressure) all but ensuring they're going to cop a shot after kicking, but also disrupting their ability to kick with forward momentum (don't want them running into the kick pressure to get their kick off).

Potentially Milf has just been playing left because Hunt was our halfback and primary kicker so he was on the right.
Maybe you said it and I didn’t understand it but a big reason is that it’s heaps easier to kick with your dominate leg closer to the side line because the mechanics of kicking makes it easier to kick inwards then out.

For example, a right foot kicker who is close to the left sideline would either have to kick with the outside of their foot or swing their leg in a less natural way to send the ball any significant distance infield. It’s far easier to kick straight or inside then it is to kick outside. If that makes sense.

Maybe you said it and I didn’t understand it but a big reason is that it’s heaps easier to kick with your dominate leg closer to the side line because the mechanics of kicking makes it easier to kick inwards then out.

For example, a right foot kicker who is close to the left sideline would either have to kick with the outside of their foot or swing their leg in a less natural way to send the ball any significant distance infield. It’s far easier to kick straight or inside then it is to kick outside. If that makes sense
Kind of. Your leg almost always swings in but you can send the ball every which way depending on where you place it on your foot and how you impart force. Grubber to the right off the right foot is a common play. Send it upwards and you have a banana kick. A spiral punt is off the outside edge of the foot but you shear underneath the ball to spin it. Top of the foot to chip ahead.

Last edited:
Kind of. Your leg almost always swings in but you can send the ball every which way depending on where you place it on your foot and how you impart force. Grubber to the right off the right foot is a common play. Send it upwards and you have a banana kick. A spiral punt is off the outside edge of the foot but you shear underneath the ball to spin it. Top of the foot to chip ahead.

Sure, but they are all just different kick types that are all heavily impacted by which leg you kick with. As you said, using the outside (or other parts) of your foot allows you to perform different styles of kicks, but that’s precisely because you are using different parts of your foot. A right footers’ banana kick is different depending on which side of the field they are doing it and which direction they’re intending it to go. Try kicking for touch as far as you can with your right foot, 5m out from the left hand sideline then try the exact same thing on the right hand side. The angle is far far easier with the kicking foot on the inside.

An outside foot grubber kick is usually vastly different to an inside or top of foot grubber and it is used differently. So this is again dependent on which side of the field you are on. Are you outside foot grubbering toward the posts (right foot left half of field) or the winger (right foot, right side of field).

Last edited:
Without being able to see the OP, I already know who's wasting your time.

Click user name>Ignore. Thank me later.

The downside with ignoring is that if someone quotes it, you still see they’ve posted something and have to stop yourself from reading what they posted anyway. Threads gets all messed up from it because you don’t have context (usually) for the what the person you aren’t ignoring is saying in reply, but it’s still part of the overall thread discussion

Been Getting a few bursts of deja vu reading some of the reports coming out of the Dragons ... McInnes out (rift with the coach) .. Folau maybe in .. divided loyalties in the dressing shed .. Hook, the ghost of seasons past at Red Hill, brings a shiver to the spine.

Last edited:
I beg to differ, conceited is an exceptional choice to describe someone who so frequently makes vaingloriously self-aggrandising posts, 'correcting' others where no error exists or 'clarifying' points neither disputed nor of interest to anyone, with no purpose in mind but to be a vehicle for displaying his vastly inflated sense of intellectual superiority. None of this contributes to the discussion at hand but here we are for the nth time, discussing your predilection for public intellectual masturbation masquerading as education.
Mmmm, self aggrandizing ? Okay, as it's frequent you should be able to quickly bring up and example or two. Seeing as it's so frequent it should only take a couple seconds. It's not my fault your inadequacies make you feel threatened.

Try kicking for touch as far as you can with your right foot, 5m out from the left hand sideline then try the exact same thing on the right hand side. The angle is far far easier with the kicking foot on the inside.
Hehe. I used to kick both sides with the right foot. Like just about everyone else.

Last edited:
Hehe. I used to kick both sides with the right foot. Like just about everyone else.
So did I. Basic angles and body mechanics definitely makes one easier. It’s why goal kickers have preferred sides.

So did I. Basic angles and body mechanics definitely makes one easier. It’s why goal kickers have preferred sides.
I used to practice with the left, but in a game it was too embarrassing to risk an air swing. Stab, chip and grubber with the left sometimes, but for distance and accuracy, hard to beat your dominant leg.

I think Milford was push left to help his kicking game. At least that was what looks like from the outside.
If he plays right, dearden's (or croft for that matter) kicking game will need to improve
Just watched an interview with tesi niu and training footage showed milford is defending on the right side with niu and coates beside him.

That is a potential concern given that milf is not a great defender nor the biggest talker and is next to an inexperienced centre/wing pairing.

Niu did say that coates and he grew up playing alongside eachother, and he was mentored by milf, so hopefully that has formed enough of a combination that they can organise themselves on that side.

While the All-Stars game is pretty meh, the fact only 1 player has been picked is pretty sad for the Broncos and that one player is Jordan Riki. Congrats kid.

While the All-Stars game is pretty meh, the fact only 1 player has been picked is pretty sad for the Broncos and that one player is Jordan Riki. Congrats kid.

isn't the all-star game only one from each club anyway?

besides how many indigenous or maori players do we have

the only ones that i can think of that would qualify are Glenn, Isaako (kiwi's but are they maori?) ... and Staggs (indigenous but injured)

isn't the all-star game only one from each club anyway?

besides how many indigenous or maori players do we have

the only ones that i can think of that would qualify are Glenn, Isaako (kiwi's but are they maori?) ... and Staggs (indigenous but injured)

Meh I don't know but I am happy for Riki, he's gonna be a superstar that kid.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.