Pre-season

For those of you that haven't seen it here is the most recent KW interview: talks about Macca, Staggs, Asiata, Kelly, captaincy, trials, roster ... they even ask him about Melbourne possibly suing over Donaghy.

you can skip the first minute or so as it's about a new sponsorship (Tyrepower)

Kevvie even gave the media a bit of shit. right at then end of the sponsor stuff, Dobbo asks about Macca and Kevvie response is:

KW: "we're not here to talk about that today, we're here to talk about tyrepower"

Dobbo: "so, you're not going to answer the question?"

KW: "What was the question? was it about tyres?; no, i'll answer it for you, ask it again"

lol

For those of you that haven't seen it here is the most recent KW interview: talks about Macca, Staggs, Asiata, Kelly, captaincy, trials, roster ... they even ask him about Melbourne possibly suing over Donaghy.

Actually called Tyrepower just now to get a quote on some new tyres, but Bob Jane is cheaper. Sorry, Broncos.

Kevvie even gave the media a bit of shit. right at then end of the sponsor stuff, Dobbo asks about Macca and Kevvie response is:

KW: "we're not here to talk about that today, we're here to talk about tyrepower"

Dobbo: "so, you're not going to answer the question?"

KW: "What was the question? was it about tyres?; no, i'll answer it for you, ask it again"

lol

Interesting part of the interview was kw being asked about captaincy
"Right now Alex Glenn is our captain and something drastic would have to change to have a change in our captaincy".

So it looks like they've internally decided Glenn will be captain again which I think is a good call.

Last edited:
"Right now Alex Glenn is our captain and something drastic would have to change to have a change in our captaincy".

So it looks like they've internally decided Glenn will be captain again which I think is a good call.

It is hard to argue for sure. Should he be captain? Definitely not but neither should have Boyd but you have to go with your best option even if he is a poor option overall. Keep him in there for the year as it is a write off anyway and then look at bringing in some leadership for 22.

With reference to the Kelly or Croft debate if Milford is to be out, I think we should go Kelly. He just replicates milfords game a bit better and I think we have a better chance beating or even competing with the eels if we have someone who plays a similar and more threatening style... Whilst I do believe that Croft is the better half of the two, having Dearden already both their play styles are very similar in a game controlling way and I think it is best if we go with Kelly. This would also allow the team to combine with a running oriented half so that when Milford comes back it’s a fairly smooth transition

With reference to the Kelly or Croft debate if Milford is to be out, I think we should go Kelly. He just replicates milfords game a bit better and I think we have a better chance beating or even competing with the eels if we have someone who plays a similar and more threatening style... Whilst I do believe that Croft is the better half of the two, having Dearden already both their play styles are very similar in a game controlling way and I think it is best if we go with Kelly. This would also allow the team to combine with a running oriented half so that when Milford comes back it’s a fairly smooth transition
Yes , a like for like replacement. Instead of changing the game plan to fit someone else in like seibold seemed to do.

Kevs flip flopping is getting a little concerning. Macca emerging as leader next week, Maccas moving on. No one is being thought of as captain yet and everyone will have to earn it - “something drastic would have to happen for Glenn to lose it”.

Milford is the key, apparently Staggs is seen as 6 long term, and interest in Hughes and Drinkwater.

Kevs flip flopping is getting a little concerning. Macca emerging as leader next week, Maccas moving on. No one is being thought of as captain yet and everyone will have to earn it - “something drastic would have to happen for Glenn to lose it”.

Milford is the key, apparently Staggs is seen as 6 long term, and interest in Hughes and Drinkwater.

I think he’s just trying to do his best with last years wooden spoon squad which hasn’t really changed for the better

i'm not sure he's really flip flopped on anything ... most of what you talk about is speculation. from the media and others

i'm not sure he's really flip flopped on anything ... most of what you talk about is speculation. from the media and others
His comments around captain have been inconsistent. His comments about rebuilding the team when he first got appointed quickly became “we’ll work with what we have”.

The flip flopping you speak of is just NSWRL headlines flip flopping between who the reporter happened to mention.

Kevvie has just been giving stock standard responses to whichever player the media spew up and then they run away with a headline

Reporter: is Milf a chance for captain
KW: he's a fantastic player and one of our more experienced so he's definitely in the running, but I'll make a decision after preseason
Headline: Milf favourite for captain

Reporter: is Macca a chance for captain
KW: he's a fantastic player and one of our more experienced so he's definitely in the running, but I'll make a decision after preseason
Headline: Macca favourite for captain

Reporter: is Glenn a chance for captain
Headline: Glenn favourite for captain

General public: WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON!!!
Conduit to the people: Dont worry we got you... Is Milf a chance for captain

The flip flopping you speak of is just NSWRL headlines flip flopping between who the reporter happened to mention.

Kevvie has just been giving stock standard responses to whichever player the media spew up and then they run away with a headline

Reporter: is Milf a chance for captain
Headline: Milf favourite for captain

Reporter: is Macca a chance for captain
Headline: Macca favourite for captain

Reporter: is Glenn a chance for captain
Headline: Glenn favourite for captain

General public: WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON!!!
Conduit to the people: Dont worry we got you... Is Milf a chance for captain

100% agree, similar with the latest reports that Pangai will be at prop and Asiata has sewn up the 13.
That courier mail article is bullshit, its from the interview with tyrepower, Kevvie says "Pangai will be in the middle, I don't know what number" and then "Asiata has really impressed" The article goes on to say, Asiata has sewn up 13, Pangai will start in frf and Glen could well play in the trial (even though he is with the rehab group) Just media bullshit

His comments around captain have been inconsistent. His comments about rebuilding the team when he first got appointed quickly became “we’ll work with what we have”.

no they haven't ... he's consistently said he'll make a decision once the trials are over. The media toss up a new name, and he won't rule said player up, and talks up the potential "candidate"

on Macca, even in his most recent interview, he says in no uncertain terms that he wants Macca to stay, although he won't guarantee anyone a new deal until he sees them play some footy games. he believes that if Macca plays they way he thinks he can play, he would earn a new deal ... although if he wants to leave, he won't stand in his way.

his comments on the roster were before he really had a chance to look at both the current player market and seen how the squad have performed during the pre-season. he has brought in Asiata which IMO is a great addition to our pack.

on the Milf is the Key. i don't recall him ever saying he sees Staggs as a 6. and it is only the media speculating that our interest in Drinkwater or Hughes is to replace Milf. for all we know, Kevvie wants one of those guys at fullback, rather than 6.

Why not Kelly and Croft to start the season?
I don't see how rookie Dearden is going to start winning us games. Nothing he showed last year has proven that he can cut it at the top grade yet. Probably ranked outside the top 30 halves (including ISC) if we are being realistic given the damn spoon.
This talk of resigning him and making him the 5-10 year halfback is just not warranted for some of us.
If we are still losing games and languishing in last, any halfback young or experienced - credentials/ability should be questioned whether he's Tom Cruise or Tom Dearden.

I don't see how rookie Dearden is going to start winning us games. Nothing he showed last year has proven that he can cut it at the top grade yet. Probably ranked outside the top 30 halves (including ISC) if we are being realistic given the damn spoon.
This talk of resigning him and making him the 5-10 year halfback is just not warranted for some of us.
If we are still losing games and languishing in last, any halfback young or experienced - credentials/ability should be questioned whether he's Tom Cruise or Tom Dearden.
Gonna have to disagree with you here. He showed massive maturity and leadership that snowballed as the season went on. He looked like the proxy captain to me, to the point where I'd be inclined to give it to him over all the other candidates. Out of desperation.

I do agree that he's not in the top tier of NRL halfbacks, and no Alan Langer at the same age, but he'd be the last player I'd be looking to move on. Probably the very last. I'm giving Milford 5 weeks to show his worth. Dearden can have the entire season.

Last edited:
I'll be happy to back thurston , Sterling, kevie , Lockyer and Robinsons thoughts on dearden. If they think he can be the man then I'm in.

Isn’t Kelly fatter than off season Milford?

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
  • eggstar10
  • Jedhead
  • HarryAllan7
  • Big Del
  • Aldo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bish
  • broncos4life
  • mrslong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • bb_gun
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.