Pre-Season

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
If we suck it's not because of these incidents it's because we suck.

The Media's insistence of linking off field drama with poor form is just filler, they're not linked at all.

Penrith have had more drama than us, South's had their fair share, Storm have lots too they're just not important enough to report on because they're in Melbourne.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
We are an easy target for the media, but its not without justification. Whether we like it or not, this group of players is still one you always have a fear that one of them is going to get into trouble off the field, no matter how minor. I'd be hoping we are looking to change that perception and get a few years under our belt where we are incident free.
The entire NRL dreams of at least one team being incident free for a few years. Even broncos of old struggled to go a whole season without something

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Pretty good summary. Could’ve also mentioned Cobbo came back fat
Exactly, there are plenty more little nuggets there you can spin either way. I get the impression the Mole's on the outer these days. Or he's come back fat himself.

The one "something's foul in Red Hill" moment that stood out for me in 2022 - and I forget which game - was when Billy made that break, darted for the line, hit the defence and threw a hasty offload to Riki, who coughed it up. It was a try gone begging, and IIRC the game was in the balance.

Normally when that happens, Riki would say shit, **** ****, and the rest of the team would rush up and pat him on the back. But instead, he gave Walters a serve. And it really wasn't a good look. I think everyone remembers it. It really was a WTF.

I thought immediately it was a bad play by Walters, a wasted opportunity that could've been a try. I thought the pass and communication was lacking. But everyone else seemed to blame Riki. Doesn't really matter. Billy created the break. It was what we wanted from him. Dust themselves off, have another go.

So I have a few theories: works of pure fiction for entertainment only. Only a fool would believe them:

1. There is friction between them for whatever reason. Maybe the friction includes other players on that side of the field. Maybe it's because they're accused of not looking for the ball. Maybe they blame Billy. Maybe they blame the entire spine. Maybe they're not on the coach's page, and Billy is proxy for the coach.

2. Riki is a bad tempered SOB, who spends too much time in front of the mirror.

3. Riki is one of the players Tyson alluded to in that interview when he talked about certain players being obsessed with their stats. Maybe Riki was mad at Billy for inflating his ball handling error rate.

4. There is simmering tension in the team, possibly due to the "elephant in the room" and maybe that's what was off at the back end of the season. Maybe we got a peek behind the curtain.

5. Maybe Riki is a Betty blamer who can't own his mistakes.

Any thoughts? Wrong answers only.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
If we suck it's not because of these incidents it's because we suck.

The Media's insistence of linking off field drama with poor form is just filler, they're not linked at all.

Penrith have had more drama than us, South's had their fair share, Storm have lots too they're just not important enough to report on because they're in Melbourne.

I think a lot of us are suckers when it comes to believing what the media reports and I understand why, if that's all you've got to read about then why would you think otherwise

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Here is DD declaring a “line in the sand” has been drawn at Red Hill (according to Meyn). Meyn has twisted DD basically saying the media need to cool their jets into him laying down the law to the playing group ...

DD on the off field "incidents"

“We’ve got a really strong culture, a culture that cares … it’s a great privilege to play for the Broncos and it comes with great responsibilities too,” he said.

“We’ve done a lot of work in terms of our values and standards. To me, that underpins the culture.

“We’ve got some really strong and capable leaders. They’re leading the charge with this group.

“It was important to get the playing group back after a break. They’ve trained really hard and had a well-deserved break.

“They’re coming back in, there’s a line in the sand and opportunity to build over the next four weeks until the first trial.

“I don’t have any concerns over the next seven weeks. Kev’s been really clear from the outset of pre-season what’s required of these guys. We’ve got lofty goals and want to see continued progress.

“Given where we finished last year (9th) and the progress we saw across the entire club … if we continue that we will see us achieve something we haven’t been able to for some time (play finals for the first time since 2019). That’s our goal.

“The guys are clear. Kev’s addressed it and Adam (Reynolds, captain) will address it. They’ve got my full support around that.

“I addressed it early in the pre-season and don’t believe I need to again.”

DD on Walsh vs Fifita

“Having understood and spoken to a number of people around it, we’ve ended up with a Bronco and a Titan in a teacup,” he said.

“We educate young men that if they find themselves in a position they’re not comfortable with to leave. We don’t want to escalate these situations. In this case, Reece did (leave).

“He took a cab home then took a cab back to pick his friend up. That is part of the story that was left out.

“There isn’t any need to have a further conversation with Reece. He understands the expectations of the club and what we require of him.

“These guys are well recognised and well known but Reece hasn’t done a whole lot wrong here.”

DD on the mother Haas incident

“It’s important to add context and perspective around it. We’re talking about a horrible, tragic incident that’s seen three lives taken, families and communities devastated,” Donaghy said.

“To be really clear, Payne didn’t have any involvement in this. He’s seen his name connected because of obvious reasons. There’s legal proceedings and serious charges that will play out away from the club.

“Payne’s got a beautiful daughter and partner and also six brothers and sisters that are school-age.

“Sometimes these guys can be put on a pedestal and seen as paid actors in a soap opera. The reality is they are human, real people with real lives outside these four walls.

“Payne’s responsibility in the short term is to look after those close to him. Our responsibility is to take care of Payne.

“It’s important for him to have that time. He was a bit unsure about recommencing. He will be back soon enough.

“He didn’t go to the World Cup so he’s had a big pre-season prior to Christmas and is in great shape.”

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Based on the pictures from training...looks like Willison is fine??

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
The entire NRL dreams of at least one team being incident free for a few years. Even broncos of old struggled to go a whole season without something

We have a profile though i think a lot of the other clubs dont have so we will always get more attention. Still think we have been having way too much attention put on us by some of these idiot players. If it was all just like the Fifita/Walsh incident i dont think there would be a problem.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
Can someone tell who this is?

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
Another one who earned his stripes in Qcup & waiting for a crack in NRL. I hope he gets his much awaited shot and kills it.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Another one who earned his stripes in Qcup & waiting for a crack in NRL. I hope he gets his much awaited shot and kills it.
Pretty impressive stats in 2022
8 tries from 12 starts.
Tackle efficiency: 95.6%

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
Pretty impressive stats in 2022
8 tries from 12 starts.
Tackle efficiency: 95.6%

I didn't realise that he was that tall. Ideally he could put on a few kg of muscle to be a first grade 2nd rower.

His stats show a lot more hit up involvement than our current second row options (similar to hosking- who impressed in his outings).

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I didn't realise that he was that tall. Ideally he could put on a few kg of muscle to be a first grade 2nd rower.

His stats show a lot more hit up involvement than our current second row options (similar to hosking- who impressed in his outings).

He had a train and trial in 21 too but did his knee. Missed Norths premiership in 21 and then missed last year because he went to the Cowboys mid season.

Very talented family- Harry played cricket for Qld in the 80's, Mitch played for Broncos 20's and NRL for the Roosters and Jackson played for the Warriors.

Mitch and Brendon are two the best hole runners in ISC ever.

Active Now

• RodF
  • Jazza
  • MrTickyMcG
  • maximus84
  • Lurker
  • Manofoneway
  • winslow_wong
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.