Pre-Season

He’ll need to kick more, or at least someone else in the spine.

Reyno was getting rushed every kick all season because no one else was kicking and they knew it
Walsh will kick as well - left foot.

Walsh will be a legit kicking option, and I see him taking on some of those duties to take the pressure off ARey

Left footer as well .
Dunno what it is with lefties , but a lot of them have a big boot on them .

Although we saw Ezra kick with both feet early dayz .
From watching his highlights reels I know he has a lot more skills than we saw last year .

This is a DEPTH rating system right, not their actual out of 10 level?.. so then:

Arthars - 5.5/10
Hoeter - 6/10 - Solid backup
Jensen - 7/10 (although I'd argue he is no longer a back up but rather a top 17 mainstay)
Mariner - 5/10 (2 games, looks talented but rookies shouldn't be classed as reliable until showing so consistently)
Madden - 6.5/10
Mozer - 3/10 (sooo many people who have watched him in lower grades have told me he isn't ready for nrl YET so how can you rate him above a pass mark, he might surprise and obviously has talent but not reliable depth YET)
Paix - 7/10 - He is not depth, he is a top 17 regular
Pereira - 6.5/10 - solid solid fill in, agreed. He has his problems but he is among the best 3rd choice wingers in the nrl.
Quai-Ward - 4/10, he sounds good and might surprise but how do we know yet? At least he has played alot of qld cup against men, hence higher rating than mozer CURRENTLY
Walters - 7/10, he is not depth but 7/10 if he was as per jensen and paix...
Willison - 7/10 - agreed, shown enough talent, just needs to get back from iniury

This is a DEPTH rating system right, not their actual out of 10 level?.. so then:

Arthars - 5.5/10
Hoeter - 6/10 - Solid backup
Jensen - 7/10 (although I'd argue he is no longer a back up but rather a top 17 mainstay)
Mariner - 5/10 (2 games, looks talented but rookies shouldn't be classed as reliable until showing so consistently)
Madden - 6.5/10
Mozer - 3/10 (sooo many people who have watched him in lower grades have told me he isn't ready for nrl YET so how can you rate him above a pass mark, he might surprise and obviously has talent but not reliable depth YET)
Paix - 7/10 - He is not depth, he is a top 17 regular
Pereira - 6.5/10 - solid solid fill in, agreed. He has his problems but he is among the best 3rd choice wingers in the nrl.
Quai-Ward - 4/10, he sounds good and might surprise but how do we know yet? At least he has played alot of qld cup against men, hence higher rating than mozer CURRENTLY
Walters - 7/10, he is not depth but 7/10 if he was as per jensen and paix...
Willison - 7/10 - agreed, shown enough talent, just needs to get back from iniury
Bro, thats not all different to my Buzz Lightyear review.

I think you can get away with some youngsters as your backs depth because they don’t take the brunt of the big guys guys in the middle but the backs are where we have a bit of solid depth in Pereira and Arthars.

The issue is there isn’t much experience or maturity in the forwards and already, three of them are likely out in Haas, Robati and Hetherington. Hopefully Frei does a Hosking because the times I’ve seen him in Cup, he’s been impressive but that said, he isn’t currently in the squad.

Williston’s shoulders also have questions on them, and seems a bit injury prone. Peek’s disappointed everyone in the backend of last season and is also an injury magnet. Palasia might have already checked out and he’s the one solid depth bloke who is already required round 1 being likely down three forwards.

So round 1 looks like:
8. Flegler
10. Jensen
11. Capewell (who didn’t get surgery either so let’s hope the shoulder has healed on its own)
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

15. Palasia
16. Willison (I guess)
17. Piakura (I guess)

Out:
Haas (likely)
Robati
Hetherington

Meaning depth is basically:
Te Kura (very exciting but really raw)
Bayliss-Brow (total unknown)
Frei (if signed)

So if you consider that we were already light on in terms of forwards to backs ratio, we could be in trouble.

I too am not so optimistic for this year......our depth over all is ordinary/untested at best, our backup half options are minimal and basically we don't have a 9 worth anything.

Reyno dragged us up the table early on last year but he ran out of steam towards the end of the year after the rib injury and nobody else could be bothered to stand up and give a shit after that.

We are one injury to Reyno away from being bottom 8 and I just can't see where or who the extra effort or quality comes from to lead the way once he isn't on the field.

In a salary cap competition with 17 teams now, you take out the starting halfback of any side and they'll probably struggle, unless their 5/8 has a kicking game

Fitzy’s Season Preview
Look there is just so much unnecessary negativity about our coming season I think we will go as close to a premiership as we will until our next gen spine are well established. Understandably it hasn’t been an up beat week but the attitude on here has been worse than the bloody journo’s who wait till shit happens to go for a beat down on the bronx. Funny how they will suck our dick very quickly if we start well. Anyway I’m going to go through my preview you either read it or not but if you want a bit of positivity then keep reading.

Lineup (Best - IMO):
1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Haas
9. Walters
10. Jensen
11. Riki
12. Capewell
13. Carrigan
14. Paix
15. Flegler
16. Hetherington
17. Palasia

Lineup (Rd 1 - Likely):
1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Walters
10. Flegler
11. Riki
12. Capewell
13. Carrigan
14. Paix
15. Jensen
16. Palasia
17. Willison

Lineup - Review:
I think we have a top 4 backline without a doubt. Immense strike power that will put the best of defences to the test in my opinion. So young, strong/physical and quick. Hopefully they cut the errors with another year of experience in the bag. I think the 4 outside backs were quite good defensively for the majority of the season (right edge had problems early on). Reece will either be No better here than he was at the Warriors or be so good that he tops the bronx dally m count, not much chance of being in between in my opinion.

Halves will really kick on this year in my opinion. Reyno is amazing and Mam is an amazing 6 for Reyno’s style. Obviously Reyno had the injury prone factor but I will get into that later.

Hooker whilst our options don’t stand out they lack class but they aren’t incompetent, they just play a role. Definitely can get us top 4 but premierships seem a bit out of reach with the hooker options

Forward pack is Riki possessing a bit more attacking threat away from premiership worthy. Even then he doesn’t need much. I think our first 6-7 middle forward options range from Superb to very good for their role. Second row isn’t an issue if Robati stays contracted and his legal issues are sorted and if found guilty deservedly punished within the first few weeks of the season. Capewell is the perfect edge player for the pack and Riki I think will improve a little bit.

Absentee’s/Injuries/Suspensions:
It is unnaceptable for Payne to miss any games cause of his situation. Obviously difficult thing to happen to him in terms of the role he has to play in his family but at the end of the day he has two weeks to get his issues in order and from there on its back into the grind. Definitely should not be missing games for something that really isn’t overly tragic just makes his life more difficult. Whilst I might seem quite strict on this stance I do have great sympathy for Payne’s current situation, especially considering how poorly this has tarnished his reputation as his name has been dragged through his mothers actions for the past few years. He has gotten into trouble himself twice but I believe he is a way better person than his mother and I don’t think we need to be to worried about his actions in the future.

Hetho hopefully is back in that week 5-10 period and at the worst he is playing before origin when Carrigan will be out.

Robati from what I understand groped the Woman? Scumbag decision and action that is unacceptable but regardless I don’t think he will be sacked by Broncos or NRL for that. Needs to be way more respectful of Women (if true but I don’t really have much doubts). Also I don’t believe the legal ordeal will be an overly long process. I think he will be available somewhere in weeks 3-6.

Depth:
I think our depth is great except we are probably 1 middle forward short numbers wise and I also think Bayliss-Brow is fucken dreadful. Hopefully he doesn’t get a run. Outside backs are very good depth wise so to are are our spine options. Only issue with the halves is depth numbers not depth quality.

Depth player ratings:
Jensen - n/a: don’t know why he was being considered a depth option in lists

Arthars - 8: versatility and whilst isn’t a world beater he does his job well and is reliable

Hoeter6.5: good centre depth but not overly versatile. Reliable player

Mariner - 5.5: not really versatile at NRL level but being probably the last centre option he is an amazing option

Quai-Ward - 5: I have no doubts he will be competent if relied upon, has the appearances in cup to be confident and experienced if required

Pereira - 5: I wasn’t really impressed by his game last year. Defensively was poor and offensively lacked effectiveness. 0 versatility as well

Madden - 10: Best back up half in the comp in my opinion. Perfect player to have when Reyno is injury prone

Walters - 7: For a week or 2 job as a half he is good back up long term not ideal.

Willison - 8: I’m feeling an amazing year from Xavier he looks physically good and it’s about the age where players kick on a bit more

Robati - 8: Covers every forward position and in my opinion is easily the 2nd best second rower but Riki will clearly start

Piakura - 5: As a depth option I don’t rate but as a contracted player with future upside he is good. Needs to play a lot of cup this year, stay fit and really fix up his defence

Bayliss-Brow - 1: Fucken worst player to get a top 30 deal in Broncos history just about. I don’t have any faith in him from what I have seen from him and his stats seem to back this up

Paix - 7: Best hooker we have but I just don’t think he can play big minutes or even decent minutes he really is a 40 minute hooker

Smoothy - 5: good depth option but his circumstances of being a development player make him borderline useless. Puts us in a bad predicament of having to use Mozer before him

Mozer - 2: Don’t want to have to play him prematurely as such dreadful depth option. Also I don’t think he is ready. Obviously the club wanted to keep him happy with so top 30 money rolling into his bank account but he really should be the dev player and Smoothy top 30

Devs/T&T options - 5: About as good as last desperate options get but obviously they are about as good as there contract situation suggests they are.

Outcomes:
I think we will come 3-6 next year. We have a good side we really are waiting to see how the side develops, plays as a cohesive unit and stays fit to see where we finish.

Not sure where to post this……..

“The Raiders have secured the signature of Samoan international Danny Levi on a two-year deal after a stint in the Super League”.

its bollocks that we let him go in the first place
Youtube Red College Humor GIF by Bad Internet

Not sure where to post this……..

“The Raiders have secured the signature of Samoan international Danny Levi on a two-year deal after a stint in the Super League”.

its bollocks that we let him go in the first place
Youtube Red College Humor GIF by Bad Internet

This is a massive example of BHQ's revisionist history. pretty much all through his stint the majority of people were complaining about him being in our team ... until he leaves.

BTW, this story was first reported about 2 - 3 months ago.

Oh, this is 2-3 month old news? I must’ve missed it all together. This is definitely ’news’ to me.
Anyhow, moving on.

Am I the only person who thinks Danny Levi is beyond dog shit? Josh McGuire dished up better stints in the hooker position than him.
Nope, I'm with you. I thought he was pretty shit with us in his few games as well. DIdn't do much for the Knights when he was there either. I think it's just a case of anyone but Billy which is making some people a bit irrational.

Nope, I'm with you. I thought he was pretty shit with us in his few games as well. DIdn't do much for the Knights when he was there either. I think it's just a case of anyone but Billy which is making some people a bit irrational.
yep average at best

I'm sorry but I don't remember there being that much hate for Levi at the time and most wanted him signed for 22 including me, he wasn't a superstar or anything but he was better then what we had that year.

He was one of the best Hookers last season in the Super league as well, so it was inevitable he would come back.

I'm sorry but I don't remember there being that much hate for Levi at the time and most wanted him signed for 22 including me, he wasn't a superstar or anything but he was better then what we had that year.

He was one of the best Hookers last season in the Super league as well, so it was inevitable he would come back.

Go back and re-read that match threads ... most people were complaining non stop about him.

It wasn't until he signed elsewhere that they wanted us to keep him.

Hell, most people wanted Turpin over Levi ... and that tells you everything you need know.

Go back and re-read that match threads ... most people were complaining non stop about him.

It wasn't until he signed elsewhere that they wanted us to keep him.

Hell, most people wanted Turpin over Levi ... and that tells you everything you need know.
Match threads are as illiterate as it gets in BHQ, but in non match threads when people have more time to process information I never got that consensus.

Unread

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • TwoLeftFeet
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.